If we win in Madison...

westcoastgopher11

Reaction score
The national perspective of this team does a 180 overnight - take a step back and look at the program from a 30,000 foot perspective. Our three loses look solid from an outsider perspective and this team is what it is at this point: above average to good defense with inconsistent QB play on offense. Well as long as Mitch is playing consistent next Saturday, I see no reason we can't go into Madison and shock the college football world - nothing would be sweeter.

Whatever you think of the program let's just let the last two games play out, these are the type you want for the coaches/players and for us as fans.

Here's my question. If the Gophers win in Madison, will they try to chop down the goalposts with the Axe, and will there be an incident if the Badger players attempt to prevent the Gophers from chopping down the goalposts?

I seem to remember that both schools talked about doing something different with the Trophy exchange to try and minimize the possibility of an incident. But, throw some drunk Badger fans into the equation, and I hope the TV crews don't cut away from the end of the game too soon. (if the Gophers win). They could miss the most interesting part of the day.

Here's my question. If the Gophers win in Madison, will they try to chop down the goalposts with the Axe, and will there be an incident if the Badger players attempt to prevent the Gophers from chopping down the goalposts?

I seem to remember that both schools talked about doing something different with the Trophy exchange to try and minimize the possibility of an incident. But, throw some drunk Badger fans into the equation, and I hope the TV crews don't cut away from the end of the game too soon. (if the Gophers win). They could miss the most interesting part of the day.

It was tried and stopped. Axe was on sideline last year.

The national perspective of this team does a 180 overnight - take a step back and look at the program from a 30,000 foot perspective. Our three loses look solid from an outsider perspective and this team is what it is at this point: above average to good defense with inconsistent QB play on offense. Well as long as Mitch is playing consistent next Saturday, I see no reason we can't go into Madison and shock the college football world - nothing would be sweeter.

Whatever you think of the program let's just let the last two games play out, these are the type you want for the coaches/players and for us as fans.

The defense has hovered are top 20 the last several years, better than good. O-line again is a weak link, as it was last year. ML did himself no favors this year but neither did the line.

TITTY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and part of me hopes so.

If my memory serves me correct (I'm usually fairly intoxicated by the end of the game to deal with the wisconsin fans so memory can get fuzzy), the only reason there was an issue is because wisconsin chopped down the west goalposts (fine, whatever) but then went to chop down the east goalposts when the team was singing Hail Minnesota with the students and band.

I would have no issue with the wisconsin team/fans having a problem if we did that to them (gotta win the d@mn thing first though). It might be the kind of thing we need to give this rivalry a little jump start!

I thought it was only Gary Andersen that wanted to do the stupid no axe on the sideline thing.

Yes and part of me hopes so.

If my memory serves me correct (I'm usually fairly intoxicated by the end of the game to deal with the wisconsin fans so memory can get fuzzy), the only reason there was an issue is because wisconsin chopped down the west goalposts (fine, whatever) but then went to chop down the east goalposts when the team was singing Hail Minnesota with the students and band.

I would have no issue with the wisconsin team/fans having a problem if we did that to them (gotta win the d@mn thing first though). It might be the kind of thing we need to give this rivalry a little jump start!

I thought it was only Gary Andersen that wanted to do the stupid no axe on the sideline thing.

Think you are right about the part in bold, Wisconsin tried to go through our players during a post game ritual. Not sure where it all stands now though in terms of what teams can and can't do.

idc chop the **** out of the goalposts and if we throw down with them so be it - its about time we stopped being minnesota nice in this rivalry and won a damn game

Gotta believe Badgers will clear the field pretty quickly if Gophs win...

If we win in Madison, we do this

bef5aa2b9369c69736346192137ae2ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i want to win this game sorry if i offended your delicate sensibilities (just kidding im not sorry i want to win)

Just mean it's very brave to offer up some 20 year olds to throw down in fisticuffs while you're watching from your couch.

"Just mean it's very brave to offer up some 20 year olds to throw down in fisticuffs while you're watching from your couch"

We can ask Soros to provide some of his.

On that note - I will confess that I was born in WI and raised a Packer fan. I see the Gopher/Badger rivalry going the same way as the Packer/Bear rivalry. Once you start to get on these long, long losing streaks to the 'rival', the rival no longer looks at the game as a big deal. We need to beat them 2 or 3 times in a row before they start to really take us seriously again. At this point - WI is honestly looking at bigger fish as they have cemented themselves as a top Tier B1G team by winning the games they are supposed to win (which includes us) and competing with scUM and tOSU.

The Packers were the same way with the Bear - basically, chalking up the game as a win before the season even started. When the Packers were really rolling in the Brett Favre years - people were much more concerned with the Cowboys than Bears. It actually continues to this day as the rivalry is way still very diminished because the Bears can't field a competitive team consistently. It is nice to see the Packer/Viking rivalry kick back up again as I have not been really excited for a Packer/Vike game since my time as an undergrad at the U with Randy Moss making the games exciting (and making rapist Darren Sharper look like a top spinning around trying to find the ball and make tackles).

So - we need this game for respect within our own conference and rivalry - the national attention will just be a bonus. Realistically, we need to make this rivalry competitive again as I take this one much more seriously than the one with Iowa. It will also help with potentially recruiting in WI for O lineman (they still have an abundance at the HS level) - which is still lacking in Minnesota.

"Just mean it's very brave to offer up some 20 year olds to throw down in fisticuffs while you're watching from your couch"

We can ask Soros to provide some of his.

On that note - I will confess that I was born in WI and raised a Packer fan. I see the Gopher/Badger rivalry going the same way as the Packer/Bear rivalry. Once you start to get on these long, long losing streaks to the 'rival', the rival no longer looks at the game as a big deal. We need to beat them 2 or 3 times in a row before they start to really take us seriously again. At this point - WI is honestly looking at bigger fish as they have cemented themselves as a top Tier B1G team by winning the games they are supposed to win (which includes us) and competing with scUM and tOSU.

The Packers were the same way with the Bear - basically, chalking up the game as a win before the season even started. When the Packers were really rolling in the Brett Favre years - people were much more concerned with the Cowboys than Bears. It actually continues to this day as the rivalry is way still very diminished because the Bears can't field a competitive team consistently. It is nice to see the Packer/Viking rivalry kick back up again as I have not been really excited for a Packer/Vike game since my time as an undergrad at the U with Randy Moss making the games exciting (and making rapist Darren Sharper look like a top spinning around trying to find the ball and make tackles).

So - we need this game for respect within our own conference and rivalry - the national attention will just be a bonus. Realistically, we need to make this rivalry competitive again as I take this one much more seriously than the one with Iowa. It will also help with potentially recruiting in WI for O lineman (they still have an abundance at the HS level) - which is still lacking in Minnesota.

i get what you're saying dude we have a clear blueprint for relevancy in this conference - make the game vs wisconsin the de facto west division championship game every year

Top Bottom