...if we get out to a big lead in the first half

Hooligan119th

Reaction score
I was just wondering, if the Gophers get out to a big lead in the first half, do you think we would see a lot of the reserves get some PT in the second half? I think this is pretty tough to consider and their are arguments for both sides.

1. It IS the seniors last game at home and I would think they would like to play as much as possible.

2. This would be a great game to get some PT for some younger players IF we get out to a big lead. Guys like Reeves, Lair, Wilhite come to mind.

3. ...How about letting Gray run the show in the 2nd half?

I only bring this up because sometimes, while watching any game in perticular, when a team gets out to a nice lead, I always think that would be a good time to get some younger guys in to get some PT and experience. But it never seems to happen until deep into the 4th. Seriously, how much help does a few mop up plays help a guy?!

If the Gophers have a big lead in ANY game (or a big deficit) I think it is ALWAYS in the team's best long-term interest to play the backups. I'd hate to see any oddly burnt redshirts - but the 2nd and 3rd teamers need experience if they really hope to see progress next year IMO.

It'd be a really classy move to let the seniors play, alot of the walk on reserve types.
Mix in some of the young backup/special teamers if we can, but if we can get a big lead, let some of the seniors mix in, I'd love to see Jay Thomas get a TD.
Just more incentive to get up big early.

I always like it when the seniors who have never had a chance to play get to take the field, if only for a little bit. There are plenty of players who help out a lot, but play little if at all. Crowning your college career with 38 seconds of playing time may not seem like much, but it can be a real reward.

There are players who chose to come to the U and play very little when they could have have been starters in DII. I'd like to see that rewarded. It might make it a little easier to get some good walk ons.

Ole, I like your thinking, we were just hoping for a carry but I like TD even better!!!!

Personally I think it would have to be a big, big lead before we start thinking about playing guys who ordinarily don't see the field. We saw in the first half against Illinois how poorly this team is capable of playing. Its very important to win Saturday and would hate to see us let SDSU back into a game due to bringing backups in prematurely. If we can get into position to put our foot on their throats I would like to keep it there until we have absolutely no chance of losing.

I agree re: the seniors that have played little in their career - they should all get at least some PT, even if the game is close IMO. Even if it's just for one play - get them in there.

I wasn't nervous at all about Saturday until I saw these words leading off the thread, "I was just wondering, if the Gophers get out to a big lead in the first half ..." You do know the history of Gopher teams over the last 30 or 40 years, don't you? Why make some Football God angry?

I was thinking more if we have a big second half lead. Let's get a big 4th quarter lead so we can reward the scrub players!

Go4rushing - Jay has played great this year on special teams - both on kickoff coverage and in the return game. I'll never forget the 2006 Iowa game, our last win against the Hawkeyes. I was convinced that was Jay's coming out party. Tell him we sincerely appreciate everything he's done for the U. He's overcome a lot and the real Gopher fans are extremely proud of him.

We don't need to play all the scrubs at once. I'd have a checklist of all the seniors that have never played a down, and try to work them in the game at some point. Even if it's only one play, it's going to mean a lot. They can say "I played for the Gophers" without having to say "... well, I never actually played in a game..." They make valuable contributions in practice, and giving them this reward helps to make sure you have people willing to be human tackling dummies in the future.

I always like it when the seniors who have never had a chance to play get to take the field, if only for a little bit. There are plenty of players who help out a lot, but play little if at all. Crowning your college career with 38 seconds of playing time may not seem like much, but it can be a real reward.

Absolutely. It's the difference between 'being on the team' and PLAYING in the Big Ten. If it were me it would be HUGE.

Best wishes to all G seniors Saturday and thanks for your many contributions to GG fb over the years.

Senior Day should be special for all seniors on the team and hopefully Brew can make that happen.

I was just wondering, if the Gophers get out to a big lead in the first half, do you think we would see a lot of the reserves get some PT in the second half? I think this is pretty tough to consider and their are arguments for both sides.

1. It IS the seniors last game at home and I would think they would like to play as much as possible.

2. This would be a great game to get some PT for some younger players IF we get out to a big lead. Guys like Reeves, Lair, Wilhite come to mind.

3. ...How about letting Gray run the show in the 2nd half?

I only bring this up because sometimes, while watching any game in perticular, when a team gets out to a nice lead, I always think that would be a good time to get some younger guys in to get some PT and experience. But it never seems to happen until deep into the 4th. Seriously, how much help does a few mop up plays help a guy?!

I worry more about the seniors/younger players/scrubs/etc. getting to play at Iowa if Iowa is up 55-0.

But yes... a big lead would be really nice for once for many reasons.

The scrubs appreciate playing time, no matter how it comes. It's still much more satisfying in a win and at home. On senior night, with your parents there, even more satisfying. I didn't mind getting scrub time in losses, but it was better in a win. You didn't want to appear to enjoy the playing time too much when you're losing.

It'd be a really classy move to let the seniors play, alot of the walk on reserve types.
Mix in some of the young backup/special teamers if we can, but if we can get a big lead, let some of the seniors mix in, I'd love to see Jay Thomas get a TD.
Just more incentive to get up big early.
+1. With all that's been wrong with Gopher football, that young man and his attitude is what's right.

Top Bottom