If we don't cover (lose by 22 pts or less)......

sonnygarcia

Reaction score
I believe this would be deemed an incredibly EMBARRASSING loss given that rivalry games are usually close games (see 2007). Do things change if this happens? Would the Ath Dept deem this a worse loss than losing to SD and N Ill?

I mean 22 pts is huge, especially when you consider that in Brew's first year, and that incredibly terrible 1-11 team, lost by 7 pts with a chance to win at the end.

'07 was at home tho, that is a factor. We've been pretty much killed in Madison every year since 1996 except for our last visit there. I mean, look at these scores from '96 on: 45-28, 26-7, 41-20, 49-31, 38-14, 48-12, 35-32. That was one of my biggest beefs with the previous regime, I didn't get how we could seriously not show up in Madison repeatedly. We had some shots, I believe in '02 we were up in the 4th, but usually, it was done by then. It was nice to see a close one in '08, but even then, we were pretty much rolled up in the 2nd half. Needless to say, I have few expectation for this game at all.

'07 was at home tho, that is a factor. We've been pretty much killed in Madison every year since 1996 except for our last visit there. I mean, look at these scores from '96 on: 45-28, 26-7, 41-20, 49-31, 38-14, 48-12, 35-32. That was one of my biggest beefs with the previous regime, I didn't get how we could seriously not show up in Madison repeatedly. We had some shots, I believe in '02 we were up in the 4th, but usually, it was done by then. It was nice to see a close one in '08, but even then, we were pretty much rolled up in the 2nd half. Needless to say, I have few expectation for this game at all.

I swear the one thing I used to *HATE* about Mason was ALLLLLLL those Big Ten away games when the team laid down & died in the 1st Quarter...we played so well at home but on the road we looked like a completely different team...

We can lose 70-0, and it still wouldn't be as bad as the USD loss.

I swear the one thing I used to *HATE* about Mason was ALLLLLLL those Big Ten away games when the team laid down & died in the 1st Quarter...we played so well at home but on the road we looked like a completely different team...

I was at that game in '06 (I think) when we got rolled 51-3, and it wasn't that close. We were down 2 scores by the time we made it to our seats. One would think that a blowout loss to Wisky would be the straw that breaks the camel's back on Brewster's fate, but getting embarrassed in camp randall never got Glen fired.

What might do it, though, is if Brewster says something totally insane at the postgame presser. According to reports, it wasn't our loss to TTech that got Glen S-canned. It was him laughing in the lockerroom afterwards that got him the heave-ho.

Here's my checklist of what needs to happen for Timmy to get his walking papers:
  • Embarrassing blowout loss
  • crapping the bed in a rivalry game
  • Brewster saying something extroadinarily stupid at the postgame presser
  • Getting T. Denny or one of the McNamara boys lined up to write a $200K check
  • Maturi lining up someone to be our next coach (or at least having negotiations progressing)
  • Bruininks getting really PO'd and telling Maturi to get off his azz

I do think that Maturi knows he needs to produce a hire equivalent to the Tubby Smith coup to save his own skin, not to mention his reputation. He's not going to pull the pin on Brewster any sooner than he has to if he's got something in the works, or even feelers out. And if he doesn't have the wheels turning already, then Maturi truly is a fool.

Brewster fired after Illinois game

I think Brewster will be fired after the Illinois game and before the bye week. :) This will allow Maturi to start two weeks earlier than if we wait until after the Iowa embarassment. :eek: It will give us a two week head start nationally in the race for a new coach. :cool:

I think Brewster will be fired after the Illinois game and before the bye week. :) This will allow Maturi to start two weeks earlier than if we wait until after the Iowa embarassment. :eek: It will give us a two week head start nationally in the race for a new coach. :cool:

I can't fault your logic, but there is one risk to that strategy:

Assuming BB&JM have already decided to send Brewster packing, what if he pulls something out of his azz and wins a couple of games, especially the IL game? Given that Zook is a train wreck, that isn't out of the realm of possibility. Then it becomes a lot harder politically to S-can Brewster if he's on a 2 or 3 game winning streak.

I'm not saying that's going to happen, but look back to 2006. Mason was on very thin ice, then he nuts up and beats Indiana and Iowa to save his job (temporarily). We then crap the bed in the insight bowl vs. Ttech and wind up having to hire a coach after all the other hot candidates have been picked over. MSU, OTOH, kicks John L. Slapnutz to the curb mid-season and scoops up Dantonio.

I say strike while the iron is hot. Or in this case, very very cold.

True - we haven't done well there, but since we're talking about whether we can beat a 22 point spread, it's only fair to point out that we did end up closer than 22 points in 5 of the 7 games you listed.

Also, not all of those losses were all that bad - in '98, we were down 19-7 and had the ball inside their 10 yard line with 8-10 minutes to play. If we punch it in, it's a one score game. In '00, the game was tied 20-20 early in the 4th quarter before the Badgers pulled away. In '02, the Gophers had a 31-28 lead in the 4th quarter and were only down 35-31 with 3:00 to play.

Honestly, if the Gophers don't cover and lose by 22 points..... Brewster has got to go early.

Because he can't spin it to Maturi that we could be 6-0. I suppose he could but it would require an absolute ridiculous leap of faith to believe him.

You cannot allow rivals to walk all over you.

sorry to say this game has the look of a 49-17 game for the Badgers.

No Badger fans I know here in Madison agree. They all think the Badgers win, but none are expecting them to come close to covering the spread (most think 7-14 point win).

I'm about ready to throw down some meaningful cash on this. -22, come on! Or, is it, "somebody, please talk me out of this"?

My prediction is for a 7 point Badger win and the Gophers having a chance in the 4th quarter. These rivalry games are totally unpredictable.

Hiring a head coach

There seems to be a tacit expectation that all we need to do is be early in the hiring process and come with a pocketful of money and we'll get a top coach. We also have the reputation to overcome. We are in a pro sports market and have had no success in Gopher football for over forty years. We've wrecked the careers of several coaches. Going to be hard to get a top guy to agree to come here. It's not at all the same as Gopher basketball which has been competitive a few times over those years. Also it's much easier to rebuild a basketball program. I'd search for a solid, successful FCS or Div2 coach who would accept the challenge and the big raise in hopes of turning us back into a Big Ten team.

The past several games against Wisconsin have been 7 pts or less. As tempting as it is to take the Gophers not to lose by 21, I just cant cause Im possibly the most unlucky gambler ever. I pick the Gophers and they will lose by 22, I pick Wisconsin and they will win by 20. But I dont think they will beat us by 21, possibly 14-17.

No need for apologies after they go 0-4 at home, how can anyone feel any other way right now. It will be interesting to see how Brew and the team respond after there terrible homestand and first big ten road game. If they get blown out in Madison and then lose the next week I don't know if Brew will make it to the end of the season.

This would be a big mistake!

Ohio State hired a I-AA coach, and he's turned out quite well for them. A big name coach could be a bust too. These big name coaches all started somewhere.

Ohio State hired a I-AA coach, and he's turned out quite well for them. A big name coach could be a bust too. These big name coaches all started somewhere.

First of all were not Ohio State. I guess all I'm saying is the U has to be very careful with their next hire. I just think there is a bigger risk in hiring a 1AA coach, especially if he is not a head coach, than a proven D1 coach.

Top Bottom