If the Gophers win the coin toss, do you elect to receive or defer to the 2nd half?

Gopherdrummer

Reaction score
I am pretty sure we have always deferred and get possession to start the 2nd half this season. Knowing that Wisconsin can move the ball with ease, do you put your D on the spot, or do you try to get the offense going right away?

Receive. Then onside kick to start the 2nd half!

My real preference... probably defer. I like the ball to start the 2nd.

I like to defer to the second half. Just personal preference.

Wisconsin can also stop the ball with ease on defense. I'd stick to the game plan and defer.

Makes zero difference to me. Let's go unconventional and just choose to kick rather than defer.

Take the ball and make a 10-12 play drive for a TD. Make their offense freeze their assets for several minutes.

I think the crowd is most amped up at the start of the game, so go on D first if you have the choice. Get a break like the PSU fumble and it's a great start to the game.

I think we should receive because it would only be polite. No sense in having Sconnie's kicking team hang around getting cold just for a single play after half time. Let 'em make their one kick, and tell 'em to hit the showers.

I prefer to do it the same way as Golden Shower's wife... Receive.

But seriously, I'd kick.

marooned, you need some advice from and old timer. If you stay drunk, you never have a hangover. Get with the ticket, man!!! :)

I'll get back on the horse this evening and ride it through the weekend.

I defer for the simple choice that I want control of the Wind.

In most instances against Wisconsin if you win the toss I think most teams would choose to go on offense first even with
their defense being good. With the North wind at 10 to 15 MPH and the way it can swirl and twirl in our stadium from that vantage point I want control of when we have the wind at our backs for kicking reasons (field position) and ball control reasons. It is going to be a brisk North wind tomorrow according to the weather forecasts thus I say defer.
Otherwise I would want the ball first. Control of the wind really effects your kicking game.

I usually would defer but definitely would tomorrow. The players will be a little cold to start the game (maybe a little tentative?) until they really get warmed up as the game really gets going. I think that is an advantage to the defense. Hits hurt more, and there is a greater chance of a turnover.

Wind is more important then who starts with the ball. Pick your side and let them have the ball to start.

In most instances against Wisconsin if you win the toss I think most teams would choose to go on offense first even with
their defense being good. With the North wind at 10 to 15 MPH and the way it can swirl and twirl in our stadium from that vantage point I want control of when we have the wind at our backs for kicking reasons (field position) and ball control reasons. It is going to be a brisk North wind tomorrow according to the weather forecasts thus I say defer.
Otherwise I would want the ball first. Control of the wind really effects your kicking game.

If you're thinking about the wind, you choose to recieve at the start. That way, when the second-half choices are made, you can determine the direction of travel for the FOURTH quarter, not the first.

Brew made a decision like this in the 2008 Axe in Madison. Strong wind from straight north. Gophers won the toss and took the ball first, but took the wind in the 3rd quarter instead of the 4th. It undoubtedly had something to do with how that game ended.

Top Bottom