If Joe Burrow and the Bengals win Super Bowl LVI...

hungan1

Reaction score
Imagine how Corn Husker fans feel about Scott Frost passing up on Joe Burrow, a Husker's legacy if the Cincinnati Bengals win the Super Bowl tomorrow. Burrows dreamed of becoming a Husker. It is not a guarantee that he will do just as well as at LSU where he led the Tigers to the national championship. It is still going to be the talk for the ages in Lincoln, NE.

That storyline has to be wearing pretty thin on lots of their fans.

Scott missed bad, they know, and also nothing you can do about that now.

Frosty got his guy (Martinez)! Why would he need Joe Burrow?
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Tbh Burrow probably wouldn’t be in this spot given how well Frost has developed QBs. To act like he would’ve been the same guy for Nebraska as he was for LSU and now the Bengals is silly

Frosty got his guy (Martinez)! Why would he need Joe Burrow?
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
There was a narrative at one point coming out of Nebraska where Scott had his "favorite" players and he wasn't going to sit his guys / give anyone else his time, consider making changes and etc. It wasn't about the QB so much but just in general.

Now I'm a little skeptical about that as fans when they have a so-so QB or a guy at any position love to imagine the next Steve / Hanna Montana is just waiting and the HC for no apparent reason won't play him ...

Also it doesn't make a lot of sense for any HC to just not play a better guy if available.

Still ... it was the rumor some Nebraska fans seemed to really grasp on to for a while.

Burrow would become only the second QB to have ever won a national championship in college and the Super Bowl.

There was a narrative at one point coming out of Nebraska where Scott had his "favorite" players and he wasn't going to sit his guys / give anyone else his time, consider making changes and etc. It wasn't about the QB so much but just in general.

Now I'm a little skeptical about that as fans when they have a so-so QB or a guy at any position love to imagine the next Steve / Hanna Montana is just waiting and the HC for no apparent reason won't play him ...

Also it doesn't make a lot of sense for any HC to just not play a better guy if available.

Still ... it was the rumor some Nebraska fans seemed to really grasp on to for a while.
hmmmmm.....why does that narrative sound so familiar.....can't place it but I swear I have heard similar complaints somewhere else before.....dang....wish I could remember where I heard that....going to bug me till I figure it out.....oh well.

hmmmmm.....why does that narrative sound so familiar.....can't place it but I swear I have heard similar complaints somewhere else before.....dang....wish I could remember where I heard that....going to bug me till I figure it out.....oh well.
That could be just about every fanbase in the country especially when it comes to the QB position!

"Our"? You mean you want the Vikings to get Lance? No thanks.

I mean Lance, in theory, was the guy the Gophers (the "our") missed on in the way Nebraska missed on Burrow. Lance wanted to be a Gopher and the staff whiffed on his eval - though Burrow as a OSU QB grad transfer was a much easier eval than Lance from Marshall HS.

But Lance at this time is far from the achievements in the NCAA or NFL that Burrow has had.

Technically, couldn’t you just keep committing pass interference until the clock runs out?

Burrow would become only the second QB to have ever won a national championship in college and the Super Bowl.
He would have been the third. Interestingly enough, all named Joe. Joe Namath - Alabama and NY Jets. Joe Montana - Notre Dame and 49’ers.

It's weird how Burrow wasn't very good while he was at Ohio State but got really good once he went to LSU.

It's weird how Burrow wasn't very good while he was at Ohio State but got really good once he went to LSU.

Yeah, Ohio State whiffed on him too. Ohio State and Urban Meyer systems have been phenomenally successful in college but have been a wasteland for pro QBs Burrow probably wasn't a good fit for what Urbs wanted to do like JT Barrett was. Like when Troy Aikman began at wishbone-era Oklahoma.

Prove me wrong, but Burrow is already the best pro QB to ever wear a Buckeye uniform.

But you could drain the clock all the way down so that they have only one play to get it in. Theoretically.
I suppose but eventually they would be running a play from the 1/2 inch line where pretty much any qb should be able to fall forward for an inch or two. And there is the whole sportsmanship thingy....:)

I mean Lance, in theory, was the guy the Gophers (the "our") missed on in the way Nebraska missed on Burrow. Lance wanted to be a Gopher and the staff whiffed on his eval - though Burrow as a OSU QB grad transfer was a much easier eval than Lance from Marshall HS.

But Lance at this time is far from the achievements in the NCAA or NFL that Burrow has had.
The analogy kind of works but Burrow was a 4* QB prospect that ended up at Ohio State. Lance was viewed as a great athlete but had to go to NDSU to find a school willing to give him a shot at QB. I have a hard time calling Lance a miss because what he did was so unexpected.

I haven't paid a ton of attention to the whole Burrow/Nebraska thing but odd that Nebraska wouldn't have wanted him since they didn't have another QB in the 2015 class.

Edit - read the story linked in the OP. I can understand Frost not jumping at the chance to bring him in, Riley on the other hand makes far less sense in 2015.

Probably similar to how Gopher fans should feel about JJ Watt not coming to Minnesota.

Yeah, it would have been awesome to have JJ Watt, but he also probably would have been turned into a TE under Mason.

How about that final drive 3rd and 1 and Burrows launched it outta bounds. Sure maybe chase got the call wrong but ugh

Good programs want QB's to be accurate and run the offense. The two offenses in the SB last night were fun to watch. Most of the average programs want a running QB to make up for their lack of talent or poor coordinators.

Yeah, Ohio State whiffed on him too. Ohio State and Urban Meyer systems have been phenomenally successful in college but have been a wasteland for pro QBs Burrow probably wasn't a good fit for what Urbs wanted to do like JT Barrett was. Like when Troy Aikman began at wishbone-era Oklahoma.

Prove me wrong, but Burrow is already the best pro QB to ever wear a Buckeye uniform.
I don't really disagree with anything you typed except I believe the difference between Joe Burrow and Dwayne Haskins was their development AFTER that time.

Keep in mind, Haskins was NOT a prototypical Urban Meyer QB either. Joe Burrow, at LSU, ran the ball way more than Dwayne Haskins at tOSU. Burrow was MUCH MUCH closer to the ideal Urban Meyer QB than Haskins. Also keep in mind, Haskins had one of the greatest seasons in the history of the Big 10. He put up numbers similar to Joe Burrow at LSU. In 2018, Haskins was twice the player that Joe burrow was at LSU (despite LSU having fantastic offensive weapons). This wasn't a guy that flopped in any way in college.

Burrow just kept getting better and Haskins stopped putting in the work. I actually think the Haskins vs. Burrow comparison is a much better example of how great QBs have to put in an insane amount of work to be great.

At 16-20, the game could have gone either way. There was a PI gift to a Stafford pass that made up for the obvious face mask that wasn't called against the Bengals WR on the TD bomb.

If the Bengals don't improve their Off Line, Burrow is going to have a shorter career than Andrew Luck. How he got them through the AFC with that crew is amazing.

If the Bengals don't improve their Off Line, Burrow is going to have a shorter career than Andrew Luck. How he got them through the AFC with that crew is amazing.
Bengals are like 80 million under the cap. They can sign 2 top free agent OL and draft a couple and will be in pretty good shape. If they don't you are right, his career is going to be short.

Top Bottom