If i never see the Wildcat again, it will be too soon

Not sure if Kirk had some secret sauce to the Wildcat, but it truly sucks under Sanford.
I was skeptical of it initially with Seth Green, but then it worked great. The current version of it is not working. I also don't understand why Morgan is on the field for it - it's like we're playing with 10 players. If we're running wildcat just take Morgan off the field and put in another WR or TE.

I was skeptical of it initially with Seth Green, but then it worked great. The current version of it is not working. I also don't understand why Morgan is on the field for it - it's like we're playing with 10 players. If we're running wildcat just take Morgan off the field and put in another WR or TE.
Not a fan of the wildcat, but I think keeping the QB on the field is pretty standard. Otherwise, the defense can send the 11 men they want in the huddle already knowing there won't be a QB on the field. This way, they still have to have pass defense personnel out there. Then, you line the QB out way wide, and someone still has to stand out there near him otherwise a running back lobs him a ball with an open field, so you effectively end up playing 10 v 10.

Us running the wildcat this year reminds me of the New Orleans Saints taking the ball out of Drew Brees hands to play Taysom Hill.

Why?

Your offense is fine in it's normal setup.

Why?
It causes the defensive coordinator who literally has no other job than to plan football defenses to spend 45 minutes coming up with a scheme to stop 3-4 plays

Is it worth that if we can't gain 2 yards?
No. I was being sarcastic.
It is stupid.

it was good when no one was doing it and d coordinators literally hadn’t planned for single wing looking stuff since the 1940s

But now every d coordinator in the country has planned against it. There is a reason teams don’t run single wing as their entire offense. It was a cool way to get a good player like Seth green on the field. But I didn’t even like it with him.

I only really like the Wildcat if the Wildcat QB is at least a minimal threat to throw.
Yeah, it seems like half the value of the wildcat is wasted if the wildcat isn’t a threat to throw. Athena it’s just a two back set up with neither back capable of throwing a big block ala Kieft.

It’s because if they break the huddle without a QB the defense knows its a wildcat so they can adjust their personnel.

The wildcat execution was a lot better against Ohio State. When there was some motion across the formation. Even the threat of outside/inside run can be enough to slow some minds and feet on defense.

Today it seemed like they were walking each other down the aisle into the same gap every time.

Top Bottom