If I hear one more person talk about teams "passing the eye test"...

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
...I'm going to go crazy. I have never heard this term used before this year and now everyone from Jay Bilas to Joe-blow bracketology nut is pounding this phrase in to the ground. Please make it stop. Thank you.

How about "freakish athleticism", another of Bilas' favorites?

Full disclosure: I've used "eye test" on a couple (but not a lot) occasions. I agree with you. I shall cease and desist using that term.

Passing an "eye test"?

;)

Attachments

• l337-eye-chart.jpg
    l337-eye-chart.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 20

Isn't the "eye test" kind of what Kenpom and Gasaway say in their recent entries?

http://kenpom.com/blog/

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=946

And as someone recently mentioned, we should hope that eye-test counts for something because Gophers have looked like a tournament team lately and some of the other non-RPI measures say we are a better team (one point losses anyone?) than our record indicates.

Some good reading there, check it out.

I have to take an eye test, but that's to get my glasses prescription right, not to pick NCAA tournament teams.

It is just like the phrase "downhill runner." What does it mean? It is so ambiguous, but everyone says it because it is such buzzword. Anyone who knows anything has to say it.

At least "swagger" is starting to tail off, and "X Factor" is almost dead. Now if we can just put a stop to the creepy sounding "long".

And don't forget he can "score the basketball". ... what happened to just saying he's a scorer?

"eye-test" is just another way to say "I like this team better even though they aren't performing like it so it's my excuse to rank them higher even though they don't deserve it".

LOL. I mean, I understand what they mean, but c'mon, how do you "pass the eye test"? What entails "passing" it? A good fundamental team that plays great defense and average offense, would they pass the "eye test"? A high flying team that scores 85 points a game, but also gives up 84 points a game, would they pass it more? I just think people throw it around because they can't find actual tangible reasons to declare a team better, so they just say they look better, even if they don't get much better results.

...I'm going to go crazy. I have never heard this term used before this year and now everyone from Jay Bilas to Joe-blow bracketology nut is pounding this phrase in to the ground. Please make it stop. Thank you.

I plead no contest, and repent. In my weak defense, I think today was the first time in my life I actually used the cliche, but Hodger used it once so I thought it was okay.

:DPassing the 'eye test' means; do they wear white uniforms or real uniforms.

Top Bottom