If I had to offer food for thought...

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
I'd point out to PJ that he may want to reconsider his squeeze-the-life-out-of-the-game strategy when dominating in the opening half. Here's why.

Notice that despite the statistical dominance, the Gophers hadn't really put the game away at the half? This means that if Thorne doesn't fumble on the opening drive of the second half, it's a different game.

One consequence of always driving the bus in slow motion is that the team is likely to only get 3 or so true drives in the opening half. And if the team ever fumbles, or ever has a bad holding penalty, or ever drops the ball and kills a drive, well, you end up in a situation where the team is dominating statistically (first downs, yards, TOP, etc.) but the score is 13-0 at the half. And you have to wait until the third quarter elapses until you've really tilted game situation.

If you're having a game where everything is clicking and you're dominating: speed up and tilt game situation in the first half. Don't ALWAYS drive the bus in slow.

Last edited:

I'd point out to PJ that he may want to reconsider his squeeze-the-life-out-of-the-game strategy when dominating in the opening half. Here's why.

Notice that despite the statistical dominance, the Gophers hadn't really put the game away at the half? This means that if Thorne doesn't fumble on the opening drive of the second half, it's a different game. One consequence of always driving the bus in slow motion is that the team is likely to only get 3 or so true drive in the opening half. And if the team ever fumbles, or ever has a bad holding penalty, or ever drops the ball and kills a drive, well, you end up in a situation where the team is dominating statistically (first downs, yards, TOP, etc.) but the score is 13-0 at the half. And you have to wait until the third quarter elapses until you've really tilted game situation.

If you're having a game where everything is clicking and you're dominating: speed up and tilt game situation in the first half. Don't ALWAYS drive the bus in slow.
It's a good point, I will run it past Dean Smith.

I actually thought about this point quite a bit in the opening drive of the second half against Michigan State. If they would have scored, despite our dominance, we would have only been up 17-7. So I do see your point.

On the flip side, because we slow play them, after that fumble and our ensuing drive, the game was completely over. Michigan State's defense was falling like flies.

So when it works, I love it. When it doesn't, I hate it. I hope PJ only does it when it works :).

Notice that despite the statistical dominance, the Gophers hadn't really put the game away at the half? This means that if Thorne doesn't fumble on the opening drive of the second half, it's a different game.

One consequence of always driving the bus in slow motion is that the team is likely to only get 3 or so true drives in the opening half. And if the team ever fumbles, or ever has a bad holding penalty, or ever drops the ball and kills a drive, well, you end up in a situation where the team is dominating statistically (first downs, yards, TOP, etc.) but the score is 13-0 at the half. And you have to wait until the third quarter elapses until you've really tilted game situation.

What would you have done differently in the first half? Part of the reason we dominated statistically is because we never let Sparty have the ball. Take away the redzone fumble and the score isn't even 17-0. You can't blame PJ for the fumble.

Couldn't disagree more. We had a rare Mo fumble and some clock issues before the half, those were literally the only issues in a spectacular half of football where we went into the locker room up 3 scores on the road. Fleck wanted more points before halftime but things got a little haywire with the clock and communication with the officials.

Yes, if MSU drives down and scores to start the 3rd quarter the game could have been tighter but I still don't see that as any reason to do anything differently in the first half.

The key to 2019 and so far this year is that our offense is super efficient. We take advantage of the times we are on the field and force other teams to have to do the same by limiting their opportunities. Think how frustrating that is for the other team when you are down and you know that you are not likely to get many chances with the ball in order to try and come back.

What would you have done differently in the first half? Part of the reason we dominated statistically is because we never let Sparty have the ball. Take away the redzone fumble and the score isn't even 17-0. You can't blame PJ for the fumble.
I don't get the they let their foot off the gas crowd

Fumble killed a scoring a drive and goofy end of half clock situation to me really erased option to try a hail mary, and I don't mind not heaving one up late

I suppose you could argue having to settle for a FG one drive?

Oh no....don't say stuff like that....it will bring back the crowd that seemed to think we were playing for field goals in previous years. That group has been really silent so far this year.... :)

He also kept a shutout going into half rather than risking MSU getting points. You risk giving the other team some life and momentum if they get a score because you're giving them more opportunities.

I think the way that we play (similar to Wisconsin too) can be demoralizing for other teams because they get so few opportunities on offense. When they do get those opportunities they may be pressured to make something happen and take risks that they wouldn't normally.

I think Saturday's game was a clinic in exactly what our game plan is supposed to do to other teams. It just sucked the life right out of them and they were done at half.

I actually thought about this point quite a bit in the opening drive of the second half against Michigan State. If they would have scored, despite our dominance, we would have only been up 17-7. So I do see your point.

On the flip side, because we slow play them, after that fumble and our ensuing drive, the game was completely over. Michigan State's defense was falling like flies.

So when it works, I love it. When it doesn't, I hate it. I hope PJ only does it when it works :).
I don't think you and I disagree at all.

I would point to the exact same drive as being the one that ultimately tilted game situation, and I would have run the offense in slow motion in the second half.

My point relates to the first half. Consider speeding up in these sorts of games (not all games), and tilting game situation sooner.

Couldn't disagree more. We had a rare Mo fumble and some clock issues before the half, those were literally the only issues in a spectacular half of football where we went into the locker room up 3 scores on the road. Fleck wanted more points before halftime but things got a little haywire with the clock and communication with the officials.

Yes, if MSU drives down and scores to start the 3rd quarter the game could have been tighter but I still don't see that as any reason to do anything differently in the first half.

The key to 2019 and so far this year is that our offense is super efficient. We take advantage of the times we are on the field and force other teams to have to do the same by limiting their opportunities. Think how frustrating that is for the other team when you are down and you know that you are not likely to get many chances with the ball in order to try and come back.
I agree with you, especially the "frustrating" part for the other team. It can induce panic, create pressure, etc. if you realize you're trailing and will only get about half the possessions you normally do. Plus, I LOVE to see the other defense tired, and ours rested.

With the secondary we have and the depth on our Dline, having them only play about 20-22 minutes per game is awesome. Don't change that.

Sure, MSU could have scored a TD and been within 10. But did you notice we drove the ball 95 yards right down their throat, and took like 8 minutes to do it? If we get a kickoff and start at the 25, it's still a demoralizing (for MSU defense) 75 yard drive for ~6 minutes and we'd still be up 24-7.

I don't get the they let their foot off the gas crowd

Fumble killed a scoring a drive and goofy end of half clock situation to me really erased option to try a hail mary, and I don't mind not heaving one up late

Even the lack of a hail mary....are we forgetting that just 2 plays earlier Tanner nearly had his head ripped off on what could have been a gruesome play? Thankfully he was OK but in that moment you don't really know. Maybe he was a little frazzled. At that point just get to the locker room and take inventory of a great half of football.

Sort of why they did the two-minute drill to end the half in the Colorado game. Had three longer scoring drives in that game that were around 3 minutes or less.

In response to some other posters, I am not making a point about how to manage all games. Just the one where you are dominating.

I think PJ's strategy is proper in many instances. For example, if the Gophers are playing an explosive team, drive the bus as slowly as you can. The problem that an offense organized around explosiveness has is that it is difficult to pre-determine explosion. One cannot decide that this is the play where the running back will go 70 yards for a TD. You simply know that with sufficient opportunity, it'll happen. Squeeze the clock, and be efficient against a team like that. Make them drive the ball, when that's not their "style" of play.

In response to some other posters, I am not making a point about how to manage all games. Just the one where you are dominating.

I think PJ's strategy is proper in many instances. For example, if the Gophers are playing an explosive team, drive the bus as slowly as you can. The problem that an offense organized around explosiveness has is that it is difficult to pre-determine explosion. One cannot decide that this is the play where the running back will go 70 yards for a TD. You simply know that with sufficient opportunity, it'll happen. Squeeze the clock, and be efficient against a team like that. Make them drive the ball, when that's not their "style" of play.
We were dominating BECAUSE we were controlling the clock and limiting their opportunities. MSU touched the ball 4 times in the first half and went in down 3 scores. So coming out in the second half they basically knew they had to score every single time they had the ball to have any chance. at coming back.

That is about as demoralizing as it gets knowing you are up against a really good defense and you can't afford to make any mistakes at all or it is game over.

The first 4 drives were only about 4:30 long on average so it's not like they were extremely long drives. And the play calls were pretty close to 50-50 run-pass in the 1st half as well.

I also was nervous as Sparty drove down the field to almost make it 17-7. I’ve been around enough Gopher games to know that wouldn’t have been the most surprising momentum swing we’ve experienced. Thankfully they fumbled, we score, and the game was effectively over.

Though I don’t think I would have done anything differently in the 1st half other than manage the clock better before halftime. Maybe we could have made it 20-0. Not sure how else it could have gone better.

The first 4 drives were only about 4:30 long on average so it's not like they were extremely long drives. And the play calls were pretty close to 50-50 run-pass in the 1st half as well.
And then there were a few times in the game when I found myself bitching that the Gophers snapped it too soon. Never satisfied.
Brilliant game. Very impressed.

I agree with you, especially the "frustrating" part for the other team. It can induce panic, create pressure, etc. if you realize you're trailing and will only get about half the possessions you normally do. Plus, I LOVE to see the other defense tired, and ours rested.

With the secondary we have and the depth on our Dline, having them only play about 20-22 minutes per game is awesome. Don't change that.

Sure, MSU could have scored a TD and been within 10. But did you notice we drove the ball 95 yards right down their throat, and took like 8 minutes to do it? If we get a kickoff and start at the 25, it's still a demoralizing (for MSU defense) 75 yard drive for ~6 minutes and we'd still be up 24-7.

Mel Tucker was in full flop sweat mode when we were going on our body-blow drives.

I have a different feeling now with leads, only thinking there’s a statistical chance of blowing it - as opposed to being convinced of, or just waiting for, it happening. Funny what great coaching, combined with depth, and especially preparation do to lead to that calmer demeanor and attitude!

Attachments

• 6B01CF34-1517-4917-9EB8-F07B004B2FF2.jpeg
    6B01CF34-1517-4917-9EB8-F07B004B2FF2.jpeg
    20.4 KB · Views: 3

And then there were a few times in the game when I found myself bitching that the Gophers snapped it too soon. Never satisfied.
Brilliant game. Very impressed.
lol....I had a few moments where I was like why aren't we running the damn ball more... :)

Gotta love it, it is tough for us Gopher fans to embrace being the dominant team.

It could have been 28-0 at the half. Like 2019, opponents have to pick their poison with this offense. Want to take away the run? OK, Gophs will cut you up with medium range passes and the opportunistic down field pass. Want to take away the pass? Ok, Gophs will bruise and batter you down with a relentless run game that will produce a lot of medium range runs (5-15 yards) and the occasional long run.

lol....I had a few moments where I was like why aren't we running the damn ball more... :)

Gotta love it, it is tough for us Gopher fans to embrace being the dominant team.
I think we can conclude now that PJ & Co belive getting the plays in / successfully in a live game is highly valued compared to practice.

I agree. Only things to change would have been going for it on 4th down and trying to make it 21-0 instead of 17-0 or ending the fist half better. We got points on all drives except a fumble and the end of half. That's nearly a perfect half. Fleck misunderstood the clock situation at the end of the 1st half and that contributed to trying to score. Also Morgan averaged over 10 yards per pass. That's not squeezing the ball.

Kicking long field goals on 4 and less than 5 yards to go is something that might support the OP thoughts in future games.

A three score lead at half time is basically a strangle hold for this team. The team rarely loses with any lead going into the half.

Letting the other team not touch the ball means they can't score ...
This strategy is high risk when facing a team that is more skilled than you -- if it is your only strategy, i.e. you can't score quickly and you have to play ball control.

We dominated TOP (38 - 21) against OSU last year but they had touchdown drives of: 1:42, 2:17, 0:08, 0:56, 0:52.

This strategy is high risk when facing a team that is more skilled than you -- if it is your only strategy, i.e. you can't score quickly and you have to play ball control.

We dominated TOP (38 - 21) against OSU last year but they had touchdown drives of: 1:42, 2:17, 0:08, 0:56, 0:52.
Sooo..... give them the ball more?

A higher skill team?

WTF people....

Sooo..... give them the ball more?

A higher skill team?

WTF people....
I think we are seeing some fans trying to find the fatal flaw in what we are doing this year so far. We Minnesotans do not do well with prosperity so there is always the need to find the reason why it is going to blow up in our faces. :)

We were dominating BECAUSE we were controlling the clock and limiting their opportunities. MSU touched the ball 4 times in the first half and went in down 3 scores. So coming out in the second half they basically knew they had to score every single time they had the ball to have any chance. at coming back.

That is about as demoralizing as it gets knowing you are up against a really good defense and you can't afford to make any mistakes at all or it is game over.

Well said. Spot on. Why do people have such a hard time grasping this?

Is it a video gamer point of view?

Top Bottom