If Gray is back for the Cats. Do you go with a rusty Gray, or.....

Reaction score
Max. As of late yesterday Gray was jogging and in sweats. Does Kill risk it if he is not 100% game ready, remembering he hasn't taken a live snap for 3 weeks? Boys, I'm thinking use Becky as the target date. I think Max can put points on the board against the Cats, especially if the OL is healthy. Here's a call the coaches slow play
Gray's injury and save him for Becky.

There's layers to this hypothetical. If Gray is 100 percent physically but is just rusty from not playing, I don't even think it's debatable. You go with Gray. I haven't been as critical of Shortell's performance in Iowa City as others, but running the ball will continue to be a challenge if we don't have Gray. At times, Iowa was playing six in the box against us - and we still couldn't run and the passing game wasn't clicking. That won't happen if Gray is in the game and can actually run. Defenses will have to respect the run and that opens up a lot of other stuff to get the ball down field.

Now, if "rusty" equates to being 80/85/90 percent physically, then this is a more interesting discussion. I'd probably say you can't risk Gray injuring himself further to rush him back for this game and you hold him out for another week. To your point of saving Gray for Wisconsin, do you want him knocking off that rust on the road in a rivalry game? I think you only hold him out if you feel like he's not physically ready to play on October 13.

If Gray is able to take most of the 1st team snaps during the week of the Northwestern game he will be the starter. If he is limited he will be the backup. I don't think they will put him out there if they don't think he is most of the way back however if he is healthy enough to be a threat as a runner I absolutely think he will be the starter.

Kill has already stated they need Gray back so if he is ready or close to ready you can bet they will go with him.

Why would you want a rusty Gray startin in Camp Randel?

If Gray is able to take most of the 1st team snaps during the week of the Northwestern game he will be the starter. If he is limited he will be the backup. I don't think they will put him out there if they don't think he is most of the way back however if he is healthy enough to be a threat as a runner I absolutely think he will be the starter.

Kill has already stated they need Gray back so if he is ready or close to ready you can bet they will go with him.

You'd think he'd know huh?

Gray plays as soon as he is able. The only reason he doesn't is if the coaches decide to go with Max because they feel max gives them a better shot to win.

Gray needs to be the starter when he is healthy enough to go back in. End of story.

I know the old saying is "if you have two starting quarterbacks, you have none". But if Gray is healthy, I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of game plan where both he and Max get some action against Northwestern. Preparing for that defensively would be quite a task. I have a feeling that Kill will be very cryptic when discussing who will start leading up to the game to force the Cat's coaches to try and prepare for both possible starters.

But, I'm just a fan and haven't coached past a 4th grade level so I could be way off base.

it's so funny cuz only if gray were to lose to NW would any of us find out 'gray was rusty' It's one of those square the circle things. our task is to show up, cheer and buy the beer.

I know the old saying is "if you have two starting quarterbacks, you have none". But if Gray is healthy, I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of game plan where both he and Max get some action against Northwestern. Preparing for that defensively would be quite a task. I have a feeling that Kill will be very cryptic when discussing who will start leading up to the game to force the Cat's coaches to try and prepare for both possible starters.

But, I'm just a fan and haven't coached past a 4th grade level so I could be way off base.

You are probably right on with this and it would not surprise me to see them figure out a way to use both guys although I think Gray will take the vast majority of the snaps.

It also wouldn't shock me to see the staff play games about Gray's ability to play but Pat Fitzgerald is a smart guy, he will prepare like Gray is going to play because frankly if Gray isn't in there the game planning is far easier than if he is. Lot easier to play defense if you don't constantly have to worry about the QB taking off.

Shortell throws such better crossing and out routes. If we could generate a traditional running attack with a RB, I think we are better with Shortell vs an 80% Gray. His strength is running the ball and if he can't do that effectively, then wait to bring him back.

I like a Qb that can throw. Until Mr. Gray shows he can, I am on the Shortell bandwagon. The passing game is supposed to keep the running game open. So far with Gray, all you have is the incomplete passing game, the running back running game, or the QB running game. Honestly, I wish him the best, but he cannot pass to an open receiver.

saintpaulguy said:
I like a Qb that can throw. Until Mr. Gray shows he can, I am on the Shortell bandwagon. The passing game is supposed to keep the running game open. So far with Gray, all you have is the incomplete passing game, the running back running game, or the QB running game. Honestly, I wish him the best, but he cannot pass to an open receiver.

I don't want to waste time pointing why you're wrong, so read the "Shortell's Future" thread.

Regardless of Gray's health, Shortell has to be ready to go.

it's so funny cuz only if gray were to lose to NW would any of us find out 'gray was rusty' It's one of those square the circle things. our task is to show up, cheer and buy the beer.

Not sure what you mean but if you're saying that Gray being rusty is the only reason we would lose to NW, I'd suggest that there could be other equally valid explanations.

Seeing Gray is almost as big as the NW DLs, I think if he's healthy, he's the guy. This could be a game where the Gophers can match their opponent's physicality across the front line. Given that you want to keep NW's offense off the field, a grinding approach where we'd use a lot of clock would be optimal provided, of course, we get a lead.

Gray should play, a lot, if he's 100% healthy. Gray with a bum wheel though, even just a little bit, does absolutely nothing for this offense. If he's not 100%, REALLY 100%, he really shouldn't be taking snaps if at all avoidable.

Kill has said it a number of times; they need Gray back, bad. Without Gray, Quarterback is the only position on the field that is not 2-deep in all reality. The staff can't keep holding their breath that Shortell doesn't get dinged up.

This actually brings up another interesting scenario; the following week, on the ROAD, against Wisconsin.

If Gray does not play, or play major minutes/snaps, against Northwestern, do you really trot him out for his first action in over a month at Camp Randall? If the concern is "rust", which is a valid concern, I'd be more concerned about rust showing itself for a road game than a home game.

I'm guessing whichever QB takes the majority of the snaps against NU likely starts at Camp Randall, barring something really bizarre.

Gray will play if healthy.
"Rust" is something message board people discuss, He is a senior with 7 more games in his collegiate career, there is no time to ease him in (if healthy).

I agree they are very thin at QB. I really don't understand why they don't have a third QB.

They should have one of Parish or Alipate waitng (and Shortell would be a redshirt freshman if they played Parish last year). If Alipate is not going to get on the field at TE, they should have left him at QB.

Would Parish have left if he knew he would have been thrid-string to injury prone Gray and a redshirt freshman Shortell? Anyone know where Parish went?

Gray should play, a lot, if he's 100% healthy. Gray with a bum wheel though, even just a little bit, does absolutely nothing for this offense. If he's not 100%, REALLY 100%, he really shouldn't be taking snaps if at all avoidable.

Kill has said it a number of times; they need Gray back, bad. Without Gray, Quarterback is the only position on the field that is not 2-deep in all reality. The staff can't keep holding their breath that Shortell doesn't get dinged up.

This actually brings up another interesting scenario; the following week, on the ROAD, against Wisconsin.

If Gray does not play, or play major minutes/snaps, against Northwestern, do you really trot him out for his first action in over a month at Camp Randall? If the concern is "rust", which is a valid concern, I'd be more concerned about rust showing itself for a road game than a home game.

I'm guessing whichever QB takes the majority of the snaps against NU likely starts at Camp Randall, barring something really bizarre.

Agree on Gray not starting if he is not 100% because if his mobility is hindered he could do more harm then good. Where I disagree with you assuming Shortell does get the nod against Northwestern, I don't think it will have any bearing on who is the QB vs. Wisconsin. That decision like the decision on who starts against Northwestern will be made during the week in practice. Unless Shortell sets the world on fire against Northwestern, Gray gets his job back as soon as he is ready to go. If he is taking most of the reps in practice he will be the starter on game day, coaches won't worry about him being rusty if he is able to practice all week.

Gray will play if healthy.
"Rust" is something message board people discuss, He is a senior with 7 more games in his collegiate career, there is no time to ease him in (if healthy).

I agree they are very thin at QB. I really don't understand why they don't have a third QB.

They should have one of Parish or Alipate waitng (and Shortell would be a redshirt freshman if they played Parish last year). If Alipate is not going to get on the field at TE, they should have left him at QB.

Would Parish have left if he knew he would have been thrid-string to injury prone Gray and a redshirt freshman Shortell? Anyone know where Parish went?
I don't know where Parish ended up. My Google search ended when I saw the link: "Parish transfers abusive priests". I'm out.

Regardless of Gray's health, Shortell has to be ready to go

Why Was Foreman recruited ? Looks like he will never play at the U. I assume he will transfer out like JD Pride did?

Why Was Foreman recruited ? Looks like he will never play at the U. I assume he will transfer out like JD Pride did?

Obviously none of us know what Kill was thinking, but I know a lot of people have speculated that maybe once Gray is gone he will come in for a Wildcat formation to shake things up with Shortell next year. Obviously substituting a running QB doesn't do a lot to shake things up when Gray is in there. And they probably haven't worked on it as much with him as they would have without Gray around.

But if that's not the case, I don't know what to say. The guy is just a RS FR, so maybe there is still a chance, but I know I was awful disappointed he couldn't beat out not one but two FR that they are trying to RS if at all possible this year. When I heard Nelson was third string I was extremely disappointed that Foreman was considered not even adequate enough to save Nelson's RS. I mean, I know Nelson and Leidner are supposed to be talented, but it's sad when Foreman has a year under his belt in the system is that far behind that they'd burn a RS rather than play him.

Hopefully they find a place for him (even if not at QB), but it also wouldn't surprise me if he transferred out, either.

High ankle sprains can linger for a very long time. There is a chance Gray will not be 100% for the rest of the season.

I don't want to waste time pointing why you're wrong, so read the "Shortell's Future" thread.

Please waste your time. I have completed your reading assignment, and I would say that that this matter is not 100 percent settled. Please take the time to enlighten me with your own words.

Top Bottom