If Gophers go to a bowl, who would coach the offense?

This could work. I say the coaches just follow the in game thread here to find out which plays to run. That should work.

If the coaches read the (or any) in-game thread, they'd all be in the fetal position on the sideline.

If the coaches read the (or any) in-game thread, they'd all be in the fetal position on the sideline.

They'd all have to change their pants at halftime because they wet themselves from laughing so hard.

The Importance of Leadership

Being captain doesn't assure ML anything and it shouldn't. With the indications that TC is giving on what he wants for changes in this offense I fully expect a full competition at QB next year. I have supported ML all year as the best QB on our team, but he isn't terribly athletic and I think TC's style of offense is going to need that more than Kills/Limeys did. If Croft is capable, he absolutely should get some time in the Bowl game to show what he can do.

If you ever coached, if you listen to coaches who have successful seasons, the importance of senior leadership comes up a lot. NW would be an example this year. We would be a team without any this year. If Leidner is healthy and you play Croft half the game or more it's a message to the team you don't want to send. It undermines everybody's confidence. Leidner has been the appointed leader to date. Somebody of the players must have really liked Limegrover and Z? Right? Those guys are already shell shocked you'd fire a 20 year friend, wondering how secure their position on the team is...what does Coach Claeyes think of me is in their head. Bench Leidner and you got issues for the entire team. Now is not the time.

Competition is a totally different thing. But it's for the spring and August. We are not doing anything dramatic to the offense without new coaches who won't be here until the spring. That is the time to give Croft his run at the job. Leidner also led summer workouts...you need his leadership then. Messing with that in the bowl game would be stupid. Leidner gets hurt, plays like crap...different story... Leidner was dreadful in the Wisconsin game...if Croft didn't see the field then it's not consistent. Tracy was the head coach during that game. He was in charge. You start sending all kinds of mixed messages to players and you'll be a head coach for a very short time.

If you ever coached, if you listen to coaches who have successful seasons, the importance of senior leadership comes up a lot. NW would be an example this year. We would be a team without any this year. If Leidner is healthy and you play Croft half the game or more it's a message to the team you don't want to send. It undermines everybody's confidence. Leidner has been the appointed leader to date. Somebody of the players must have really liked Limegrover and Z? Right? Those guys are already shell shocked you'd fire a 20 year friend, wondering how secure their position on the team is...what does Coach Claeyes think of me is in their head. Bench Leidner and you got issues for the entire team. Now is not the time.

Competition is a totally different thing. But it's for the spring and August. We are not doing anything dramatic to the offense without new coaches who won't be here until the spring. That is the time to give Croft his run at the job. Leidner also led summer workouts...you need his leadership then. Messing with that in the bowl game would be stupid. Leidner gets hurt, plays like crap...different story... Leidner was dreadful in the Wisconsin game...if Croft didn't see the field then it's not consistent. Tracy was the head coach during that game. He was in charge. You start sending all kinds of mixed messages to players and you'll be a head coach for a very short time.

Wow. All that from giving Croft some run in the Bowl Game? You might be overthinking things just a tad.

Actions have consequences. I'm not coaching this team but I gotta believe the players believe in Leidner? I assume they elected him captain? That means if you tell the team Leidner is sitting a half, you are telling the team we are not concerned about winning this game...we are experimenting. Mitch may not be our quarterback with the changes coming. You don't see any players asking where does that leave me?
We are not a confident team already. Undermining what we do have is foolhardy, just to give Croft some "run".

If you haven't coached, you have no idea how the smallest perceived slights turn into a lot of unhappy people. And if you don't pay attention to it...that's when you go 5 and 7 thinking it's something else when it's all really just attitude.

Be head coach at the high school or smaill college level and tell me afterwards if you feel these kinds of things are overthinking things...or unimportant.

Actions have consequences. I'm not coaching this team but I gotta believe the players believe in Leidner? I assume they elected him captain? That means if you tell the team Leidner is sitting a half, you are telling the team we are not concerned about winning this game...we are experimenting. Mitch may not be our quarterback with the changes coming. You don't see any players asking where does that leave me?
We are not a confident team already. Undermining what we do have is foolhardy, just to give Croft some "run".

If you haven't coached, you have no idea how the smallest perceived slights turn into a lot of unhappy people. And if you don't pay attention to it...that's when you go 5 and 7 thinking it's something else when it's all really just attitude.

Be head coach at the high school or smaill college level and tell me afterwards if you feel these kinds of things are overthinking things...or unimportant.

I was wrong. You aren't overthinking things "a tad".

BTW - I have coached. The Inferno didn't win the 5th grade championship without leadership.

You know, I had a hunch before, but now I am convinced.....You ARE Tony Robbins!

Thank you

You know, I had a hunch before, but now I am convinced.....You ARE Tony Robbins!

Pat Riley credits Tony for being instrumental in helping win 5 NBA titles as a coach...along with quite a few other people who endorse Tony. Pete Carroll is pretty successful and nobody spends more time on the mental approach than he does. But it's probably not important...success leaves no clues.

I was wrong. You aren't overthinking things "a tad".

BTW - I have coached. The Inferno didn't win the 5th grade championship without leadership.

Wrong! They won it because they had the best players. JK Spoof it may have been all you! Congrats on that...at least you won something.

Wrong! They won it because they had the best players. JK Spoof it may have been all you! Congrats on that...at least you won something.

The best players and the only volunteer coach in the league that went and scouted the other 5th grade basketball teams to devise a D to stop the 1 or 2 plays they ran. LOL. Like you said, I least I won something [emoji3]

Top Bottom