If Fleck leaves, who should realistically be on Coyle’s immediate call list?

I know you were joking around, but applied financial math is no joke and some of the most brilliant people in the world make bank working in those sub-fields for financial institutions/firms.

Some of the math they employ would make a standard undergrad engineering degree holder crap their shorts.
Yeah, total tongue in cheek.

It’s not that Birk has divisive politics, it’s that he doesn’t have enough of a coaching resume to smooth over those issues. Jim Harbaugh is actually fairly vocal about being pro-life, but nobody minds because he has a proven track record as a coach. Pop and Kerr also had actually had success as head coaches before they started wading into politics. If Birk had no political stances at all he still would be seen as a questionable hire (basically equivalent to Jeff Saturday), and when you throw in the fact that his hiring would probably piss off the majority of the student body (which is heavily liberal) I have no idea why Coyle would consider it. Not to mention that I doubt the new president would want to deal with the potential publicity headache it would be.
That’s my point.

Someone asked if they wanted Birk even though he’s hated by half the state. My response is that half the state can hate your politics (Kerr) if you have a resume.

His chances of coaching the U are zero and it’s because of his resume not his politics.

Who cares?

Matt Birk would be an awful hire and would never be hired, but who cares how many people dislike him?
Well the argument was he would be an asset...hard to be an asset if the majority can't stand the sight of you or want to punch you when you talk.

It wouldn't help that he is barely more qualified for the job than I am. He isn't even an alum so there is literally no reason to hire him.

He can have whatever opinions he wants politically but he would be a worse hire than Brewster.

I have a feeling if this politically outspoken person’s politics aligned with yours, you’d be less concerned about him being hated.

Do you think Steve Kerr or Greg Popovich would be terrible hires as basketball coaches? I’d guess not.
Edit: I replied better to your later response.

Last edited:

No offense, but you missed my argument or I did a poor job of articulating my point. Of course they have amazing resumes, so no one would give a sh!t about their politics. With Birk, he has absolutely no resume to be a coach at the U, so his politics are meaningless.

I used Kerr and Popovich as examples of people who have divisive politics but no one would give a shit.
You did a poor job sorry.

Btw I don't want to know a coaches politics. I don't even want to know fellow fans politics. That this is being discussed sucks.

If Fleck should, for one reason or another, leave the U next week, the people on Coyle’s immediate call list should be the Gophers’ current assistant coaches, and Coyle should give one of them the position of interim head coach, telling him, of course, that he’ll be a candidate for the permanent position.

(Whom that would be would make for an interesting thread in itself.)

In this way, the Gophers might have a “lost season” in 2024, but it would open up the field of candidates to include many coaches who wouldn’t want to leave their current schools and players just before the start of spring ball. It would also give Coyle time to make an informed decision without a time crunch. I would guess he already has a short list of potential candidates, and can gauge their interest in the meantime.

Ignorance seems to run deeper than a farmer's well. A single majority is as effective as a tone deaf singer. A society like a football team needs a running & passing game if not failure prevails. "Nobody wins with a one-trick pony." Paul Wellstone
And NOBODY wins in this state with the mindset that disco spews on itself..

The Big Ten and SEC is set-up to poach from any conference if they need to fill a spot. Candidates will not be hard to find, if needed.

You did a poor job sorry.

Btw I don't want to know a coaches politics. I don't even want to know fellow fans politics. That this is being discussed sucks.
I mean, your first reply to me was clearly influenced by politics. You want to punch Matt Birk? Your reply was so dug in politically that you didn’t read my post.

You finished it by telling me how Birk would be a better hire than Birk. Well, Yeah. Why would you feel the need to tell me that? Absolutely nothing in any post I made should make anyone think I think Birk could be a head coach at the U. He has absolutely no resume whatsoever. If Matt Birk had no political footprint whatsoever, he would have zero chance.

My answer was apolitical, yours is talking about how much people hate someone you want to punch them. I don’t think they want to punch him because he doesn’t have a good coaching resume.

Whoever is the last one in here, make sure you turn off the lights before you leave.

Lefties and righties insulting each other on a sports forum takes the cake. No one is changing anyone's mind and the other side just thinks you're an idiot. Of course, I'm sure you don't mind if complete morons think you're an idiot. Am I right? I guess this IS sport for some of you!:p And the election is still nine months away. Some of you are just getting warmed up!!!;)

That’s my point.

Someone asked if they wanted Birk even though he’s hated by half the state. My response is that half the state can hate your politics (Kerr) if you have a resume.

His chances of coaching the U are zero and it’s because of his resume not his politics.
I am fully in agreement in terms of the coaching experience. In regards to Popovich/Kerr, their resumes obviously speak for themselves, but their politics also line up a bit more with the U's.

Hypothetical question: Fleck leaves, and during the search, it's discovered that Mike Gundy is interested in the position....how do you think it would play out?

Kill or Claeys? I kid, I kid.
images

Top Bottom