If Eric Musselman was our coach

The what if's with Mussekman are 2013 and 2019. What if we'd hired him instead of Pitino in 2013. What if we don't squeak into the NCAA tournament in 2019 and we fire Pitino then.
On one hand, that would have been the right timing to snag someone like Nate Oats. On the other hand, Coyle had interested candidates with accomplished resumes last year and didn't hire any of them. So who knows.

But at some point Minnesota HAS to gain the favor of the basketball gods, right? We can’t spend eternity being their urinal.
Is there another P5 that is similar to us? Probably, I'm just curious.

A school that made the final four in the 90's, but has only made the tournament a handful of times since and never past the 2nd round? (neverminding about the scandal)

Was thinking for some reason that NC State might be a good comparison, but they have made the Sweet Sixteen three times since 2004-05.

Last edited:

A school that made the final four in the 90's, but has only made the tournament a handful of times sense and never past the 2nd round? (neverminding about the scandal)

Was thinking for some reason that NC State might be a good comparison, but they have made the Sweet Sixteen three times since 2004-05.
Clemson perhaps?

Yeah, that might be a good one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Clemson_Tigers_men's_basketball_seasons

Since a Sweet Sixteen in 1996-97, they've made the tournament seven times and all but one were first round exits. But that one exception was another Sweet Sixteen in 2017-18.
We would kill for a sweet 16. Another school that always seems to underachieve is Missouri
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Tigers_men's_basketball

Made the Elite 8 in 2009, round of 32 in 2010, but 0-5 in last 5 tourneys

Last edited:

We would kill for a sweet 16. Another school that always seems to underachieve is Missouri Missouri_Tigers_men's_basketball

Made the Elite 8 in 2009, round of 32 in 2010, but 0-5 in last 5 tourneys
One of those being a 2 seed and 21.5 pt favorite when losing to 15 seed Norfolk State in Omaha. I was there and the arena was electric the entire game - mainly because Norfolk was in the game, but also because of the Norfolk State band (they got a standing ovation at halftime and had the place rocking at each TV timeout.)

Saw a post on reddit a month back, worst P5 schools? The two everyone listed were Nebraska and Northwestern. Nebraska has never won a tournament game

It re-branded itself as TopConnect.
I've never fully understood the value unless it's viewed as a LinkedIn for prospective head coaches. I realize ADs have a lot to do besides look for coaches, but shouldn't every one of them have a short list of probables/possibles in their desk drawer?

I've never fully understood the value unless it's viewed as a LinkedIn for prospective head coaches. I realize ADs have a lot to do besides look for coaches, but shouldn't every one of them have a short list of probables/possibles in their desk drawer?
I've never understood it either. At the time, I thought maybe it was a group that did due diligence on the prospective coaches, but I don't think they do any of that.

A school that made the final four in the 90's, but has only made the tournament a handful of times since and never past the 2nd round? (neverminding about the scandal)

Mississippi State. But their Final Four was kind of a fluke. They just fired their version of Tubby Smith.

Muss would have taken this job in 2019, Coyle did not think about it….
We are a long way from the elite 8 and I stand by my thread, if Muss was our coach, this could be US.

We are a long way from the elite 8 and I stand by my thread, if Muss was our coach, this could be US.
Yep, even when we win, we end up losing.

That run at the end of 2019 set us back years.

What do you think it was with Coyle…sins of the fathers?🤔

No, I think it was he was pressured to keep a low budget program in tact…muss would have been a great story in Minnesota. Hos dad had some exciting basketball teams

No, I think it was because we won a tournament game and Coyle probably didn't have the political capital to get sign off for the financial impact of moving on from Pitino and hiring someone new. Unfortunately for Gopher fans, it was pretty clear it wasn't a fit for basketball folks but it was hard to convince the "powers that be".

That little run in 2019 set the U back.

Yep, even when we win, we end up losing.

That run at the end of 2019 set us back years.
Do you think Amir Coffey waiting until the last minute to declare for the draft maybe had an impact too? Feel like it would have been weird to have Pitino’s continued employment hinge on whether Coffey leaves or not, and that of course hamstrung us from finding another player to fill his scholarship. Coffey likely would have been a preseason All Big Ten player if he had stayed, then add in Marcus Carr and Daniel Oturu on top of that. That team wasn’t even bad by the metrics as it was, finishing #27 in Kenpom, just every game that came down to the wire, they lost. For comparison, Wisconsin is going to hang a Big Ten Championship banner with a team that is currently ranked #34.

The funny thing is Pitino was likeable but in his profession he was not successful. I am not sure we can say the same about Diffident Ben…..yet

Do you think Amir Coffey waiting until the last minute to declare for the draft maybe had an impact too? Feel like it would have been weird to have Pitino’s continued employment hinge on whether Coffey leaves or not, and that of course hamstrung us from finding another player to fill his scholarship. Coffey likely would have been a preseason All Big Ten player if he had stayed, then add in Marcus Carr and Daniel Oturu on top of that. That team wasn’t even bad by the metrics as it was, finishing #27 in Kenpom, just every game that came down to the wire, they lost. For comparison, Wisconsin is going to hang a Big Ten Championship banner with a team that is currently ranked #34.
The problem with that analysis is Kenpom rewards efficiency more than winning.

Losing a lot of close games in kenpom means you’re highly rated and “unlucky”

Losing a lot of close games in real life means you are something unmeasurable too…but it isn’t bad luck. It’s lack of ability to finish. Which was a consistent problem under the coach.

If Coffey leaving or coming back impacts your decision at all…you already know you should fire him. It is a hard decision to make because it wasn’t like he was last place every year and uncompetitive.

But it should’ve been easy because after 8 years the team wasn’t over .500 in conference in years 5, 6, 7, or 8. Even with the round of 32 one of those years, that’s a failure to me. The goal is to win the big ten and you cant even get on the right side of .500

The problem with that analysis is Kenpom rewards efficiency more than winning.

Losing a lot of close games in kenpom means you’re highly rated and “unlucky”

Losing a lot of close games in real life means you are something unmeasurable too…but it isn’t bad luck. It’s lack of ability to finish. Which was a consistent problem under the coach.

If Coffey leaving or coming back impacts your decision at all…you already know you should fire him. It is a hard decision to make because it wasn’t like he was last place every year and uncompetitive.

But it should’ve been easy because after 8 years the team wasn’t over .500 in conference in years 5, 6, 7, or 8. Even with the round of 32 one of those years, that’s a failure to me. The goal is to win the big ten and you cant even get on the right side of .500

It was easy to fire him after 8 years, that's when he was fired.

We are talking about firing him after 6 years and coming off of a NCAA tournament win, when they just fired the last coach after 6 years and coming off of a NCAA tournament win.

That's a tough sell at a bottom dwelling basketball program like Minnesota.

This is wrong. He wanted the job when Teague hired Pitino. He has no HC experience at that time and was an assistant at Arizona State. He had an interview set up and Teague canceled it.

In 2019 I don't think Muss was truly interested as he was looking for more money from Arkansas and MN wasn't going to pay that. Of course $$$ talks.

Top Bottom