If Chryst is selected

Oneoldgopher

Reaction score
Would that weaken the Badgers and strengthen the Gophers?

Frankly, I think it would weaken the Gophers and strengthen the Badgers. My reasoning is suspect and BIASED. Any calmer heads around here that could point me to the promised land.

All kidding aside, who is this guy and what could he bring to Minnesota?

It would hurt the Gophers and hurt the badgers.

If Chryst is selected it will hurt the Gophers, the future, any excitement, Maturi, me, and provide more ammunition for becky fans to further grind our faces in the dirt. NO to Chryst!

I have little actual knowledge about any of the coaches mentioned for the Gopher job and have no real opinion about whom should be hired. However, would somebody explain the negativity toward Chryst as a possible coach? Is it simply the Maturi/Wisconsin connection or is there something in his background I don't know about? I'm really curious because Wisconsin's offense has generally impressed me while he's been there, but he obviously isn't a popular choice here.

I think some of the reasons Chryst will not be the next head coach:
Maturi is under a lot of pressure on this hire. It is well known that Maturi and Chryst are very good friends. The pressure of this hire makes it seem unlikely that Maturi would select a close friend. It leaves too much of an opportunity for second-guessing and puts Chryst in a tough spot too.

I think the mood for former Wisconsin assistants in the Twin Cities is not real good. With so many on Brewster's staff and Brad Childress, I think the general public is ready for a different background.

He has no experience as a head coach and Maturi has talked up this hire too much to not bring in someone without head coaching experience.

I have little actual knowledge about any of the coaches mentioned for the Gopher job and have no real opinion about whom should be hired. However, would somebody explain the negativity toward Chryst as a possible coach? Is it simply the Maturi/Wisconsin connection or is there something in his background I don't know about? I'm really curious because Wisconsin's offense has generally impressed me while he's been there, but he obviously isn't a popular choice here.

That is what I would like to find out. I don't know much about him. The sentiment is overwhelming in one direction. Is there something out there that is a bonafide reason to disqualify him? Even I have found myself on the bandwagon to not hire him. Yet, I have no real reason to dislike the guy other than his connection to Wisci (pronounced Wissie). Is the guy a prime coach, subprime? What are we talking about here. Wisconsin is looking more and more like a national power and is this guy one of the prime architects?

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? We don't know if he can be a head coach, but we do know he can coach offense. If I was a coach with a team going to a BCS bowl, Wisconsin is absolutely the last team I would want to see unless I had the best front seven in college football.
I would rather play OSU. I don't have any idea how they lost to MSU, but I think they would beat them four times out of five if they played again. I dislike them intensely, but if I was Oregon, Boise State, TCU, or South Carolina they would scare the heck out of me because I would mostly see the ball on Kickoffs
We need a winner, and I don't care where he comes from. In the long run all of the sizzle disappears in two years, and you either have steak(a winner) or a cynical fan base that is more convinced than ever it can't be done.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? We don't know if he can be a head coach, but we do know he can coach offense. If I was a coach with a team going to a BCS bowl, Wisconsin is absolutely the last team I would want to see unless I had the best front seven in college football.
I would rather play OSU. I don't have any idea how they lost to MSU, but I think they would beat them four times out of five if they played again. I dislike them intensely, but if I was Oregon, Boise State, TCU, or South Carolina they would scare the heck out of me because I would mostly see the ball on Kickoffs
We need a winner, and I don't care where he comes from. In the long run all of the sizzle disappears in two years, and you either have steak(a winner) or a cynical fan base that is more convinced than ever it can't be done.

1) liked the post.
2) post more often.
3) your last point is the critical factor here. We need someone who can turn the program into a winner. Is Chryst that type of talent? Can we expect him to produce results here? Would this rip the heart out of the lion next door?
4) Isn't this the best way to end the controversy over a 2 point conversion!
5) Why would he leave a team that is one game away from a unanimous national championship?
6) He wouldn't be bringing over the Wiscie staff. He would have to assemble his own new staff. Isn't that a high risk with him?

The problem in this scenario isn't Paul Chryst, it's Maturi. There's no denying that he absolutely flubbed the last hire (and I'm one of the few who actually likes Tim Brewster). When you include a candidate with a longstanding, preexisting relationship with your A.D., that's reason enough to be skeptical. They could do worse than Paul Chryst, I just don't think they're in a position where they can afford to roll the dice again on someone that's never run a program. As I've said, if Chryst is truly the best man for the job after exploring all possible options, I'll support him 100%. I just hope they have enough sense to interview him in shorts to make sure that he doesn't have a Bucky tattoo on his calf.

The problem in this scenario isn't Paul Chryst, it's Maturi. There's no denying that he absolutely flubbed the last hire (and I'm one of the few who actually likes Tim Brewster). When you include a candidate with a longstanding, preexisting relationship with your A.D., that's reason enough to be skeptical. They could do worse than Paul Chryst, I just don't think they're in a position where they can afford to roll the dice again on someone that's never run a program. As I've said, if Chryst is truly the best man for the job after exploring all possible options, I'll support him 100%. I just hope they have enough sense to interview him in shorts to make sure that he doesn't have a Bucky tattoo on his calf.

+1. Maturi flubbed the Brewster hire on several levels and that has put him in a really small box with this hire. Chryst could be the next Vince Lombardi for all we know (hyperbole on my part, but only used for comparison purposes), but the current circumstances prevent any kind of risky pick (or pick that even smells a bit odd).

I like Wisconsin's offense a lot. Great power offense with a set from which a fair number of wrinkles can be incorporated with ease. Chryst clearly has had a lot to do with that, but he may be one of those guys for whom coordinator is the ceiling. I read an article about Dana Holgorson that insinuated the same about him. My guess is we'll find out on both of these guys whether or not they have head coaching chops.

Top Bottom