If Brew were fired, I hope we'd look at...

Relax a Bit

Lighten up people. I'm still content with Brew. He is a proven recruiter and I think a decent, but growing coach. I'm not interested in starting over - again! I have been telling people that next year is a key year given his recruits are now starting to be juniors/sophs/red shirt frosh. Let's not jump ship just yet people.

but you are saying it isn't worth Joel Maturi time to pick up the phone and call me just to see if he is interested. If I were an AD in a BCS program looking for a coach these would be my first calls.

Maturi should not be picking up any phone and calling to gauge anyone's interest. He has a Coach that is not going anywhere, We are not in the market for a Coach.

Speaking of Chris Peterson at Boise, Dan Hawkins was the supposed golden boy head coach from Boise that went to Colorado, and has been a huge let down. Hawkins reminds me of Dan Monson. Monson was supposed to be the genius at Gonzaga, and it turned out Mark Few was apparently the guy. You wonder if Peterson looks at what happened to Hawkins and thinks, nah, I'll stay as the king of Boise for awhile.

And check the first post - "I'm not saying brewster should or shouldn't be fired..."

That's just a cop-out. That's kind of like writing, "I'm not saying I hate Madison, but have I told you lately how much Becky sucks?" If you truly didn't want Brewster to be fired, you wouldn't have started a thread to discuss his replacement.

That's the only reason I was antagonistic toward you - unless the coach has had horrible recruiting classes, is winning 1-2 games a year, and is accumulating NCAA violations, even remotely considering firing him after three years is about the most idiotic thing I can think of. And since Brewster has done none of those things, I will repeat - even remotely considering firing him after three years is about the most idiotic thing I can think of. I will admit I am a fan of Brewster for all the positive things he has done here. But if one can pull their head out of their ass long enough to breathe, they would realize that, regardless of whether you're a Brewster fan or not, firing him three years into his tenure would be an absolutely devastating blow to this program's hopes of ever returning to prominence any time in the near future.

And the "Tim Wacker" reference was not directed toward you specifically. It was a general invective hurled toward the idiots who like to compare Brewster to Wacker. Sorry for not making that more clear.

Speaking of Chris Peterson at Boise, Dan Hawkins was the supposed golden boy head coach from Boise that went to Colorado, and has been a huge let down. Hawkins reminds me of Dan Monson. Monson was supposed to be the genius at Gonzaga, and it turned out Mark Few was apparently the guy. You wonder if Peterson looks at what happened to Hawkins and thinks, nah, I'll stay as the king of Boise for awhile.

I think you're right. But I also think if Boise goes undefeated and still doesn't make the BCS title game (which is likely) it may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. If he has aspirations to win a championship he'll have to accept a better job eventually.

Sumlin was one of the few guys Mason kept from the Wacker regime. Anyone know why he moved after one season under Mason? Let me make this clear: This is not a slap at Mason. I am just curious. Sumlin had worked for Joe Tiller at Wyoming and then worked for him again after leaving Minnesota, so that probably had more to do with it than anything, but I was wondering if there was anything more to it than that.

Sumlin's done a nice job in Houston. Don't know why he'd leave, but he is a Big 10 guy, having played at Purdue and coached both at Purdue and Minnesota.

I have no idea what we'd do if we fired Brewster. I'm still holding out hope for him and I think the program would be viewed as a pariah by coaching candidates if he were let go right now. There are always solid coaching candidates out there, but most anyone agreeing to a perceived short leash is going to either by a retread or someone who views the job as a stepping stone.

I don't think that Matrui is ready to admit he made a mistake in hiring Brew quite yet. That could change if we lose out. THEN he needs to step up and hire a proven head coach, NOT a coordinator, or even a small college head coach. He will need to do what he did with the Tubby Smith hire. We cannot go through another 5 year re-building phase. He/we will need a "proven" coach who can turn it around quickly, keep the recruits that have verbally committed, and give the fan base a reason to hope for improvement and renew their season tickets. (how about Tommy Tuberville?)

I agree that no way Brewster gets S-canned unless there's a total meltdown for our last 4 games (gee, just like last year). But even then, there's one big obstacle to Brewster getting the heave ho: the fact that if Brewster goes, Maturi may be cleaning out his office as well. Granted, Maturi's job may be saved by the Tubby hiring (a stroke of genius). And our admin and power broker alumni aren't as nutso as at schools like Ohio St., Michigan, etc. Or look at basketball schools like Kentucky or UCLA. More than one AD has gone down with a failed coach.

I agree with your point that if it is Maturi making a next hire, he better pull another Tubby. And that was done with months of behind the scenes work thru a lot of intermediaries. I hope Joel is working the phones now, and not waiting until Sunday, November 22 to start lining up a blue chip candidate.

I don't mean to give the impression that I'm an insider exactly. I'm hoping that it will not be necessary to call the insiders. But I happen to know that the two candidates for the HC job at Minnesota are Chuck Amato and someone by the name of Warlie Cheis

The first success at Boise was Dirk Koetter, who left for ASU. He claimed after he was fired at ASU that he would call Peterson and tell him not to leave for the so called "greener pastures". To bad for Hawkins that he didn't get warned before he left.

Maybe Peterson will stay for a bit.

Charlie Weis can't win at Notre Dame why bring him to Minnesota?

Step 1: Bring Weis to Minnesota

Step 3: Profit

I don't know how much more blatantly obvious it could be. His internship is almost over, we should definitely snag him.

We will win our last three home game and finish with 7 wins. Brew will get an extention and next year will be better. He is not going anywhere.

We cannot go through another 5 year re-building phase. He/we will need a "proven" coach who can turn it around quickly, keep the recruits that have verbally committed, and give the fan base a reason to hope for improvement and renew their season tickets. (how about Tommy Tuberville?)

Minnesota has sucked for so long there is no quick turnaround no matter who Minnesota were to hire, this turnaround probably is a 5 year year re-building. We did not have 4 players on the roster who were worth a scholarship before Brewster came. You could hire whoever in your mind is the best college coach out there and this would be a multiple year building process. That is why Brewster needs more time, anyone who expected wins now was completely unrealistic.

Maturi should not be picking up any phone and calling to gauge anyone's interest. He has a Coach that is not going anywhere, We are not in the market for a Coach.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear but right now there isn't any reason for Maturi to start making calls right now. He should wait until he is in the market for a HC but he isn't right now. Going behind a coaches back to try to find a new coach while he is still employed is the ultimate insult and I would hope niether Maturi or Morgan Burke(Purdue's AD) never does it.

How about Marc Trestman.

Background similar to another coach who had most of his coaching experience in the pros, but returned to his home state(Cal) to coach at the college level.---Pete Carroll.

I don't remember Pete Carroll's years as a CFL head coach.

Hey D-bag, all I did was suggest if Brewster were fired, that these were some names I would hope the U would look at. You're right - Jones has won one conf. title, and on his way to a 2nd; two for three on Conf. Championships, and soon to be 3 for three on bowl games.

And I have never referred to Brew as "Tim Wacker", and I didn't "conveniently" leave out Brian Kelly's legacy there. It appears to me that Jones has done a nice job there, regardless of what Kelly left for him.

Do you think Ron Zook deserves all of the credit for Florida's success rather than Meyer? I think three years in is a pretty good measure of Meyer's success, and look where he has taken the program since.

Get a grip, or continue to be a d-bag - whatever floats your boat.

comparing the u of florida/urban meyer to the u of minny/tim brewster is also hilarious!!! I didn't think a maresh, edwards,gray, etc would ever consider minny...could you imagine the recruiting brew could do at florida? I remember during year 2 when we were 7-1 and many were thinking this was a foot on the door job for brew and we needed to extend his contract so we didn't lose brew the way we lost holtz!

The first success at Boise was Dirk Koetter, who left for ASU. He claimed after he was fired at ASU that he would call Peterson and tell him not to leave for the so called "greener pastures". To bad for Hawkins that he didn't get warned before he left.

Maybe Peterson will stay for a bit.

Before Dirk Koetter at Boise State they had Houston Nutt for a head coach who did well there before moving on to Arkansas.

Top Bottom