If Brew were fired, I hope we'd look at...

TCF=UnitedWeStand

Reaction score
Butch Jones, Central Michigan (on his way to being 3 for 3 in conference titles)
Al Golden, Temple (has taken one of the worst programs in the country to a 5-2 record this year - his fourth)
Maybe Jim Harbaugh (the only reason I say that is because I am watching Stanford right now)

I'm not saying Brewster should or should not be fired... Just saying - if he is...

Brewster is still trying to figure out who he is as a Coach.......

Gray will make Brewster look like a decent coach, just watch...Weber's horrible play had too many fans questioning Brewster's Coaching because it made him look bad. Weber isn't a good Game Manager...and we can't even blame it on the O-Line as much as we want to because in both the PSU game & the OSU game today the announcers repeatedly said the line was giving Weber time.......

5-7 this year and another poor showing next year with a VERY YOUNG TEAM and yes Tim Wacker, I mean Brewster will be fired. I would love to see Tony Dungy or Butch Jones, but that will not happen.

Tony Dungy and Butch Jones would both be worse than Brewster. Dungy does not translate to the college game because he would not be able to wow recruits with personality, he is to even keel. The only better recruiter than Brewster is Ron Zook. Urban Meyer can thank Ron Zook for a national championship since they were Zooks players

Tony Dungy and Butch Jones would both be worse than Brewster. Dungy does not translate to the college game because he would not be able to wow recruits with personality, he is to even keel. The only better recruiter than Brewster is Ron Zook. Urban Meyer can thank Ron Zook for a national championship since they were Zooks players

You are right, Tony Dungy has had zero success as a HEAD FOOTBALL COACH and absolutely no name recognition with recruits, what was I thinking?

Brewster is still trying to figure out who he is as a Coach.......

Gray will make Brewster look like a decent coach, just watch...Weber's horrible play had too many fans questioning Brewster's Coaching because it made him look bad. Weber isn't a good Game Manager...and we can't even blame it on the O-Line as much as we want to because in both the PSU game & the OSU game today the announcers repeatedly said the line was giving Weber time.......

I think the O-Line has actually done a pretty decent job the past few weeks, particularly in pass protection. There isn't a big push up front in the run game, but they have pass-protected fairly well.

I think the O-Line has actually done a pretty decent job the past few weeks, particularly in pass protection. There isn't a big push up front in the run game, but they have pass-protected fairly well.

That's what I'm saying...you got posters still blaming the O-Line when they're visibly given Weber decent protection against the 2 best Defenses we'll see all year...some fans just look for excuses, one guy on here earlier kept saying the Ref's had the game fixed...Really??? ***REALLY???***

Dungy is an NFL coach and it is a whole different ball game and name recognition does not mean crap. Its all about the recruits relating to you and Dungy is a great guy but he is also a boring old guy. Give me the salesmen like Spurrier and Holtz and Zook and Brewster and maybe even dickrod

No way Dungy considers the job for a second. He's bigger now than he was when he won the Super Bowl. He's the statesman of the NFL. To worry about his personality though if it was realistic to get him is silly. He'd have so many people wanting to work for him that would create a dream team of coaches and recruiters.

The idea that Tony Dungy would not recruit well is laughable. The first African American head coach to win a Super Bowl would not recruit well? I would imagine living rooms would be open for Dungy that only USC, Florida, Texas, LSU and the like are usually allowed in.

Tony Dungy won't be our head coach, but he'd be spectacular. Jon Gruden would be great, but he's not coming to Minnesota either.

Kevin Sumlin tops my list. Experience at OU, formerly on the Gopher staff, born in Indianapolis and played at Purdue as a linebacker. Now he's the head coach at Houston.

I would hope that if the administration does fire Brewster (and can't we wait until the end of the 3rd year to judge him?) that they would be willing to heavily invest in a big time hire.

I think Coach Brewster deserves year 4 unless the wheels fall off down the stretch.

Is their any talk of Brewster's job being in jeopardy on a national level? I think this is mostly a GopherHole topic.

Todd Hoffner, head coach of 9-0 MSU Mankato. Good resume, upper midwestern roots, ready for the jump to D1.

Charlie Strong, Florida's DC, wants a job really bad. Not sure he would come here though, but he would be a great choice.

How about Marc Trestman.

Background similar to another coach who had most of his coaching experience in the pros, but returned to his home state(Cal) to coach at the college level.---Pete Carroll.

First no reason to fire Brew after this season unless the wheels complete falls off the wagon. Like multiple high profile off the field problems and the can't stop anyone and can't score. But if Brew gets fired here is the top of the call list in order.

1. Tony Dungy-Never underestimate the power of Alma Mater
2. Chris Peterson-I believe he has turned down multiple other offers already but still worth a call
3. Bill Cowher-If I was a NFL owner looking for a coach he would move to #1
4. Charlie Strong out of Flordia-Knows Flordia, has won 2 NC in 3 years and is on a way to a 3rd.
5. Ken Norton Jr.-NFL legend, current USC LB coach and has put a few good ones in the NFL(Lofa, Malagua, Cushing, Rivers etc.)

Butch Jones, Central Michigan (on his way to being 3 for 3 in conference titles)

Actually, Butch Jones has one conference title. I also like how you conveniently left out the fact that his predecessor, Brian Kelly, left him a team that had won the conference title the previous year. But that wouldn't be conducive to your point now, would it?

Also, this entire thread is pointless because if the University of Minnesota would actually be stupid enough to fire a coach three years into his tenure, good luck ever getting a decent coach to consider coming here. We'd be lucky if we could get Dean Dalton to be our HC.

I also like the frequent "Tim Wacker" references lately. Those are hilarious. The thing that's even funnier is that Wacker never won more than 4 games as the U's head coach (something Brewster has already done twice in 3 seasons) and even he got 5 years. So, good job Brewster haters! Way to support your head coach!

But if Brew gets fired here is the top of the call list in order.

3. Bill Cowher-If I was a NFL owner looking for a coach he would move to #1

Wait -

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I've really seen everything! People bringing up Tony Dungy is ridiculous enough, but now Bill Cowher!?!?!? Please stop, my sides hurt! Why stop at Cowher? Why not just give Belichick a call? He's probably looking for a new challenge!

It's only 8:44 am, and this is easily the comic highlight of my day already. Thank you for that!

GP and extension

The idea that Tony Dungy would not recruit well is laughable. The first African American head coach to win a Super Bowl would not recruit well? I would imagine living rooms would be open for Dungy that only USC, Florida, Texas, LSU and the like are usually allowed in.

Tony Dungy won't be our head coach, but he'd be spectacular. Jon Gruden would be great, but he's not coming to Minnesota either.

Kevin Sumlin tops my list. Experience at OU, formerly on the Gopher staff, born in Indianapolis and played at Purdue as a linebacker. Now he's the head coach at Houston.

I would hope that if the administration does fire Brewster (and can't we wait until the end of the 3rd year to judge him?) that they would be willing to heavily invest in a big time hire.

I think Coach Brewster deserves year 4 unless the wheels fall off down the stretch.

Is their any talk of Brewster's job being in jeopardy on a national level? I think this is mostly a GopherHole topic.

You all are missing Gary Patterson as a candidate. He has a nice gig in Ft. W TX at TCU...but his fan support stinks given their success and their facilities are not MN (now).

I want Brewster to be given an extension for recruiting purposes (automatic 1 year...but with no buyout issues). Nobody goes anywhere if we know what is good for ourselves until the end of next year or the year after. Maturi are you listening?? :)

GM

If Brewster were to be fired after this year, before we started throwing around potential new coaches we'd have to look at finding a decent AD.

You might as well say "If my wife were abducted by aliens, I hope I'd wind up with Heidi Klum".* Neither one is going to happen. The jury is still out on Brewster, and as I started in another thread, there are a bunch of legitimate concerns over the direction and state of the program. But barring a total collapse TB is going to be our coach next year.

* based on probability, the alien abduction part of that statement is more likely

I would hope Minnesota is done forever with promoting coaches from little schools. (Mankato, etc.) Proven D1 coaches, top D1 Asst, NFL asst or head coaches ONLY.

We are NOT a stepping ground for other programs any more!

GM

You all are missing Gary Patterson as a candidate. He has a nice gig in Ft. W TX at TCU...but his fan support stinks given their success and their facilities are not MN (now).

I want Brewster to be given an extension for recruiting purposes (automatic 1 year...but with no buyout issues). Nobody goes anywhere if we know what is good for ourselves until the end of next year or the year after. Maturi are you listening?? :)

GM

Wasn't Patterson a cadidate when Brew was hired? If so, I don't think he'd be picking up the phone if the U called. Someone refresh my memory, who were the finalists when Brew was hired.

Wasn't Patterson a cadidate when Brew was hired? If so, I don't think he'd be picking up the phone if the U called. Someone refresh my memory, who were the finalists when Brew was hired.

Rumor has it that Gary Patterson was the first person offered the job by Maturi and he turned it down.

Wait -

Now I've really seen everything! People bringing up Tony Dungy is ridiculous enough, but now Bill Cowher!?!?!? Please stop, my sides hurt! Why stop at Cowher? Why not just give Belichick a call? He's probably looking for a new challenge!

It's only 8:44 am, and this is easily the comic highlight of my day already. Thank you for that!

The only reason I mention Cowher is because he is currently looking for a HC job somewhere. I will admit most likely in the NFL but you are saying it isn't worth Joel Maturi time to pick up the phone and call me just to see if he is interested. I would guess that he isn't but it is certianly worth the phone call. If he was a NFL coach currently I would have left him off the list but he isn't. You don't need to be a jerk about it. I was simply putting the top of the list that if I were an AD in a BCS program looking for a coach these would be my first calls.

you are saying it isn't worth Joel Maturi time to pick up the phone and call me just to see if he is interested.

As a matter of fact, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. It would be a waste of everyone's time, unless, of course, Maturi enjoys being laughed at.

Rumor has it that Gary Patterson was the first person offered the job by Maturi and he turned it down.

A rumor widely believed to have been started by one Gary Patterson who was angling for a new contract at the time. :clap:

Al Golden, Temple (has taken one of the worst programs in the country to a 5-2 record this year - his fourth)
Maybe Jim Harbaugh (the only reason I say that is because I am watching Stanford right now)

I'm not saying Brewster should or should not be fired... Just saying - if he is...

There would be quite a few names:

1. Brian Kelly
2. Gary Patterson
3. Charlie Strong
4. Chris Peterson
5. Jim Leavitt
6. Randy Edsall
7. Jim Harbaugh
8. Herman Edwards
9. Kevin Sumlin
10. Butch Jones

Obviously, Tony Dungy would be the choice, but he appears unwilling to return to coaching, and I don't see it at the collegiate level if he does...

As I said in an earlier post, the countdown on which coach B goes first between Minny and 'Sconny has started.

This is officially the dumbest, worst post I have ever read in my entire life in any forum. Well done.

Actually, Butch Jones has one conference title. I also like how you conveniently left out the fact that his predecessor, Brian Kelly, left him a team that had won the conference title the previous year. But that wouldn't be conducive to your point now, would it?

Also, this entire thread is pointless because if the University of Minnesota would actually be stupid enough to fire a coach three years into his tenure, good luck ever getting a decent coach to consider coming here. We'd be lucky if we could get Dean Dalton to be our HC.

I also like the frequent "Tim Wacker" references lately. Those are hilarious. The thing that's even funnier is that Wacker never won more than 4 games as the U's head coach (something Brewster has already done twice in 3 seasons) and even he got 5 years. So, good job Brewster haters! Way to support your head coach!

Wait -

Hey D-bag, all I did was suggest if Brewster were fired, that these were some names I would hope the U would look at. You're right - Jones has won one conf. title, and on his way to a 2nd; two for three on Conf. Championships, and soon to be 3 for three on bowl games.

And I have never referred to Brew as "Tim Wacker", and I didn't "conveniently" leave out Brian Kelly's legacy there. It appears to me that Jones has done a nice job there, regardless of what Kelly left for him.

Do you think Ron Zook deserves all of the credit for Florida's success rather than Meyer? I think three years in is a pretty good measure of Meyer's success, and look where he has taken the program since.

Get a grip, or continue to be a d-bag - whatever floats your boat.

Top Bottom