If Big Ten Tournament Started Today. ...

This is how the pairings would look for the first three days. All games on BTN.

Weakling Wednesday (March 8)
#12 Ohio State (2-4) vs. #13 Nebraska (2-5), 5:30 p.m.
#11 Indiana (2-4) vs. #14 Minnesota (1-4), 8 p.m.

2nd Round (March 9)
#8 Illinois (3-3) vs. #9 Wisconsin (3-3), 11 a.m.
#5 Iowa (4-3) vs. Ohio State/Nebraska winner, 1:30 p.m.
#7 Northwestern (3-3) vs. #10 Maryland (2-4), 5:30 p.m.
#6 Penn State (3-3) vs. Indiana/Minnesota winner, 8 p.m.

Quarterfinals (March 10)
#1 Purdue (5-1) vs. Illinois/Wisconsin winner, 11 a.m.
#4 Michigan (4-2) vs. Iowa/Ohio State/Nebraska winner, 1:30
#2 Rutgers (5-2) vs. Northwestern/Maryland winner, 5:30 p.m.
#3 Michigan State (4-2) vs. Penn State/Indiana/Minnesota winner, 8 p.m.
At least you didn't put 'Gophers In Weakling Wednesday' in the headline this time.

By the way...I'll say it again...I can't stand the Big Ten Tournament. Especially when we're an NCAA lock. It's a total waste of time. I always hope we lose as soon as possible.

Wouldn’t mind that either, but they won’t.

They’ll do 4 double byes and 4 single byes, with the bottom 8 playing on Weakling Wednesday. So it’s going to become even more difficult for Gophers to avoid WW.
I wouldn’t mind them sticking with the exact same tourney and telling teams 15-16 they aren’t allowed to give the 14 and 13 teams a bad loss

Because like this year two teams in weakling Wednesday could possibly be bubble teams

Zero upside to playing one of the dogs again

I hope they just do a four game 16 team tourney
I don't think it's a good idea for the conference as a whole to have their best teams required to play 4 games in either 4 or 5 days, right before the real deal (NCAA Tourney). With the Big 10 Championship scheduled on Sunday, it's even worse.

I think Weakling Wednesday will be the bottom half of the Conference, 8 teams/4 games duking it out.

I wouldn’t mind them sticking with the exact same tourney and telling teams 15-16 they aren’t allowed to give the 14 and 13 teams a bad loss

Because like this year two teams in weakling Wednesday could possibly be bubble teams

Zero upside to playing one of the dogs again
Most likely teams 15 & 16 would be playing teams 10 & 9 respectively (so even greater potential for a bad loss).

Day 1 - Teams 9-16 play.
Day 2 - Teams 5-8 (single bye) play the winners from Day 1.
Day 3 - Teams 1-4 (double bye) play the winners from Day 2.

That's the way I think it will go if the Big 10 insists on everyone making it to the Big 10 Tourney.

And don’t forget, Weakling Wednesday was originally coined “The Rutgers Invitational.” Now, Rutgers has developed its program to the point where if they stay on their current path they’d be going to a 4th straight NCAA tourney were it not for COVID.

Meanwhile, the Gophers continue to make regular appearances.
How bout The Gopher Get-Together?

Most likely teams 15 & 16 would be playing teams 10 & 9 respectively (so even greater potential for a bad loss).

Day 1 - Teams 9-16 play.
Day 2 - Teams 5-8 (single bye) play the winners from Day 1.
Day 3 - Teams 1-4 (double bye) play the winners from Day 2.

That's the way I think it will go if the Big 10 insists on everyone making it to the Big 10 Tourney.
Yep.

Basically, the only thing the 16-team tournament will do is make it more difficult for the #9 and #10 seeds. They’ll go from having to win 4 games to win it, to 5. All the other seeds (which will then include #15 and #16) will have to win the same amount of games as previously in 14-team league.

Yep.

Basically, the only thing the 16-team tournament will do is make it more difficult for the #9 and #10 seeds. They’ll go from having to win 4 games to win it, to 5. All the other seeds (which will then include #15 and #16) will have to win the same amount of games as previously in 14-team league.
To win it that’s true.

The BTT’s biggest value to teams is usually the ability of a bubble team to pick up 1-2 more quality wins
How does this effect that?

Wouldn’t mind that either, but they won’t.

They’ll do 4 double byes and 4 single byes, with the bottom 8 playing on Weakling Wednesday. So it’s going to become even more difficult for Gophers to avoid WW.
Yeah conferences want their best teams with the best seeds. Don’t want them having a bad loss from a conference tournament.

Yeah conferences want their best teams with the best seeds. Don’t want them having a bad loss from a conference tournament.
It also provides incentive in the regular season to obtain, single byes and double byes.

I also think it's more about limiting the Top 4 to only have to play 3 games at most prior to Selection Sunday.

Case in point, it would not be to Purdue's benefit at all to have to play Thur-Fri-Sat-Sun then have to start their NCAA run just 4 days later. It would be really dumb for the conference to set it up like that and potentially hamstring themselves.

I wouldn't fire him but Herro is a bad example as he didnt ever play for Gard or attend wisco.

I'd be pumped if he was the Gopher coach minus the style of play being boring. It’s effective and they win so I'd take it.
The badger fan in me wants him gone, because I think he’s sunk the program to the earlier Bo Ryan days, and he’s escaped the hot seat on a couple of occasions because of one or two anomalous late season hot shooting stretches and Johnny Davis. He has them pointing in the wrong direction IMO.

The gopher fan in me would love him here. He’s shown he can develop a foundation that can compete in the big ten, and he’s done okay when he has a star player. Im not sure how he’d recruit the state in its entirety, but we’d never lose another Lakeville 3-star 😉

Top Bottom