IF A BIG TIME COACH IS NOT INKED THIS WEEK, THE PROGRAM WILL LIE IN SHAMBLES

Vandy

Reaction score
The timing of this move by Coyle and Kahler could not have been worse for this program.

It is fairly clear by the tone from Mr. Coyle, that he simply was not a fan of Coach Claeys and likely has intended all along to make a move for his own "man", whoever that may be. Apparently he did not have the nuts to do it when he was hired on, and instead waited until 7 days after the most successful season in 11 years..... and just weeks prior to national signing day.

Since I have no confidence in any fair appeal process for 4-5 of the 10 suspended players, we are basically out a defensive backfield, 2 out of 3 starting quarterback prospects, and already our starting center has announced that he will seek to transfer. I can believe that the would be done without a coach in the corral.

If a truly big time coach is not inked in the next several days, this program will lie in shambles with departing current players, and flipped verbal signees.

And it is now becoming apparent that a coach will be "located" via one of the U of M's infamous "search committees".

I'm thinking of becoming an Indiana fan.

Oh, and WHY ARE WE YELLING?

That was an accident, and the Indiana thing was for effect... Oh, and thanks for that HOT 10-2 regent vote thread earlier today....Right on.

I don't think he would of come out and said he had a commitment from a coach even if he did today. One thing I'm confident in is there will be very few leaks of who the coach is until he is actually hired.

Heard from a buddy who is an FSU booster that Randy Sanders has been contacted.

Heard from a buddy who is an FSU booster that Randy Sanders has been contacted.

A guy who's been coaching 25 years and only risen from QB coach to QB Coach/Co-OC? Where do I sign up?

How about for once we hire a football coach that actually looks like a lot more of the players then the actual AD or the President's office. The University of Minnesota lacks a lot of diversity in it's coaching ranks, and Morril Hall. Would be nice if University leaders would think more about the student athletes experience and being a leader in hiring equality instead of just always hiring the AD dude's best buddy or who they feel comfortable with. No I am not advocating for Charlie Strong, what I am asking for is to take a look at coordinators and diverse leaders and actually give them an interview and not just pay it lip service. We ask for equality and we say there is equality but we keep moving the football and pulling it away any time a major job opening in major college football opens up.
Hard to know who this would even be when so few are given even the opportunity to interview for a head coaching position at a major University.
College football could use a Rooney rule, of course I will be called an idiot for stating my opinion. Why is it so wrong to have the expectation that the head coach and some of the staff, at least the head coaching job be open to all races, and not just the same old good ole boy's network it always seems to end up being. There is a glass ceiling in head coaching football jobs, just like there was once a glass ceiling on African American Quarterbacks in football. Would be nice if the U leadership would for once be "Uncommon" and take some advice from some of there past alumni.

They were once one of the leaders in college football in inclusion and being a place for opportunity, it has been a long while since the U has striven to even interview an African American head coach. I know I'm going to be skewered for stating this but I don't think coaches based on race are given a fair shot. We will see the same names and re-treads and approaches we always see. This rant is a pipe dream I know that, it will fall on deaf ears the leadership at the University will have no interest in pursuing a black head coach, because of course ticket sales will be just to dang low.

How about for once we hire a football coach that actually looks like a lot more of the players then the actual AD or the President's office. The University of Minnesota lacks a lot of diversity in it's coaching ranks, and Morril Hall. Would be nice if University leaders would think more about the student athletes experience and being a leader in hiring equality instead of just always hiring the AD dude's best buddy or who they feel comfortable with. No I am not advocating for Charlie Strong, what I am asking for is to take a look at coordinators and diverse leaders and actually give them an interview and not just pay it lip service. We ask for equality and we say there is equality but we keep moving the football and pulling it away any time a major job opening in major college football opens up.
Hard to know who this would even be when so few are given even the opportunity to interview for a head coaching position at a major University.
College football could use a Rooney rule, of course I will be called an idiot for stating my opinion. Why is it so wrong to have the expectation that the coach staff, at least the head coaching job be open to all races, and not just the same old good ole boy's network it always seems to end up being. There is a glass ceiling in head coaching football jobs, just like there was once a glass ceiling on African American Quarterbacks in football. Would be nice if the U leadership would for once be "Uncommon" and take some advice from some of there past alumni. They were once one of the leaders in college football in inclusion and being a place for opportunity, it has been a long while since the U has striven to even interview an African American head coach. I know I'm going to be skewered for stating this but I don't think coaches based on race are given a fair shot. We will see the same names and re-treads and approaches we always see.

Well Coyle did hire Dino Babers at Syracuse.

College football could use a Rooney rule, of course I will be called an idiot for stating my opinion. Why is it so wrong to have the expectation that the coach staff, at least the head coaching job be open to all races, and not just the same old good ole boy's network it always seems to end up being. There is a glass ceiling in head coaching football jobs, just like there was once a glass ceiling on African American Quarterbacks in football. Would be nice if the U leadership would for once be "Uncommon" and take some advice from some of there past alumni. They were once one of the leaders in college football in inclusion and being a place for opportunity, it has been a long while since the U has striven to even interview an African American head coach. I know I'm going to be skewered for stating this but I don't think coaches based on race are given a fair shot. We will see the same names and re-treads and approaches we always see.

I think hiring the first woman FBS football coach would send a strong values-based message that the U is gender-blind in addition to common-sense challenged. There are women's football leagues out here and I know a good coach that would be interested.

I think hiring the first woman FBS football coach would send a strong values-based message that the U is gender-blind in addition to common-sense challenged. There are women's football leagues out here and I know a good coach that would be interested.

For some sad reason, this thought crossed my mind tonight... (with a lot of other wild thoughts).

Serious question - If we had a woman coach and there was another player involved sexual scandal, would as many people call for the female coach to be fired just because it was on her watch, now that could be interesting.

Yeah lets be sarcastic about hiring a women

I give Coyle that much credit, he did hire Babers at Syracuse so the many cannot be confused with being just one of the good ole boys. I'm not saying the U should only hire based on diversity, but it would be nice if the candidates were diverse, and real opportunity existed. Always just a glass ceiling among head coaches in major college football it seems. Not all are given equal opportunity, whether you choose to believe so or not.

Haha. :D

I'm sure the EEOA would heartily approve, and probably AJ Barker's mom's best friend too. Win-win scenario all the way around, and what could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

The timing of this move by Coyle and Kahler could not have been worse for this program.

It is fairly clear by the tone from Mr. Coyle, that he simply was not a fan of Coach Claeys and likely has intended all along to make a move for his own "man", whoever that may be. Apparently he did not have the nuts to do it when he was hired on, and instead waited until 7 days after the most successful season in 11 years..... and just weeks prior to national signing day.

Since I have no confidence in any fair appeal process for 4-5 of the 10 suspended players, we are basically out a defensive backfield, 2 out of 3 starting quarterback prospects, and already our starting center has announced that he will seek to transfer. I can believe that the would be done without a coach in the corral.

If a truly big time coach is not inked in the next several days, this program will lie in shambles with departing current players, and flipped verbal signees.

And it is now becoming apparent that a coach will be "located" via one of the U of M's infamous "search committees".

I'm thinking of becoming an Indiana fan.
All true. If Coyle did not have anyone lined up, he is a real idiot. Chances are, whoever shows up, he'll be starting over and will not be as good as Claeys and his colleagues.

I give Coyle that much credit, he did hire Babers at Syracuse so the many cannot be confused with being just one of the good ole boys. I'm not saying the U should only hire based on diversity, but it would be nice if the candidates were diverse, and real opportunity existed. Always just a glass ceiling among head coaches in major college football it seems. Not all are given equal opportunity, whether you choose to believe so or not.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I genuinely believe it would be a perfect fit to hire a woman coach. Solves many problems, gives street cred to the petition signers, and gives cover to our leaders should they be accused of sexism.

I can't believe Coyle hasn't announced the new coach yet. How could he fire Claeys at this point without having someone already picked?

Wait. Does she have to be hot too, or was that just when we were hiring a male coach? Is that unacceptable now that we are hiring a female?

I can't believe Coyle hasn't announced the new coach yet. How could he fire Claeys at this point without having someone already picked?

I am beginning to think this administration might be inept.

Wait. Does she have to be hot too, or was that just when we were hiring a male coach? Is that unacceptable now that we are hiring a female?

I think for the administration and underlying PC departments, a sexually ambiguous look would be best. i.e. someone that looks like Harbaugh, but wearing a sports bra.

I think for the administration and underlying PC departments, a sexually ambiguous look would be best. i.e. someone that looks like Harbaugh, but wearing a sports bra.

Claeys could have probably kept his job if he would have just told the EoAA that he identifies as gender binary and his preferred pronouns were ze or zer. His first name is perfect for the first gender binary coach!

Following coach firings fans of every school feel like it's imperative to immediately get a new person in place or really awful, terrible things are going to happen. Those feelings are always misplaced. They're not racing against an arbitrary clock here. It's uncomfortable to have that position vacant for a week, maybe even two but it's not going to hurt the program. Most of the recruits don't have anyplace better to go anyway.

Word will leak late this week or over the weekend. National Championship game will take place Monday and new coach will be introduced on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Coyle has most likely already discussed with his front runners. He now said a "National Search" and is taking calls from other interested parties.

What will it take for anyone to be happy after firing a popular and winning coach. It doesnt happen very often that a winning coach is fired and for good reason. It usually doesnt make sense. So imo they need an obvious upgrade to make me happy and must be willing to pay very well to keep him. That upgrade just isnt going to happen i'm afraid. They showed they wouldnt give a winning coach the support with a decent contract already so I doubt they will for the new coach. Another decade of misery here we come. A big contract followed by a bunch of losses only makes things worse with a big buyout. We had the cheap contract with the winning coach already and let him go. It isnt happening again.

As long as this coach can recruit and win I do not care what color they are, black, white, brown, yellow, red...well, not red.

Top Bottom