IAOW

The Iowa collective - called The Swarm - is quite active and 100% played a role in landing the Michigan QB and TE, and this OSU WR. The Michigan QB got a substantial chunk of NIL money to play his final two years at Iowa.
He committed to Iowa three days after entering the portal, the OSU wr committed very quickly also. These guys weren’t out shopping for NIL deals.

He committed to Iowa three days after entering the portal, the OSU wr committed very quickly also. These guys weren’t out shopping for NIL deals.

You honestly think a QB who led a team to the college football playoffs with two years of eligibility left didn't have a major NIL deal either lined up prior to entering the portal or have it come together fairly quickly after entering the portal? You think he's just going to Iowa to play for an offense that has stunk for years just for playing time?

I'm not going to argue with you. Believe what you want. But, it isn't a secret that he is getting a significant amount of money from the Iowa collective. Iowa outbid others to get him. They knew they needed a QB upgrade and paid for it. Which is fine. That's exactly what Iowa should have done given their situation.

The QB literally Tweeted about it:

Last edited:

You honestly think a QB who led a team to the college football playoffs with two years of eligibility left didn't have a major NIL deal either lined up prior to entering the portal or have it come together fairly quickly after entering the portal? You think he's just going to Iowa to play for an offense that has stunk for years just for playing time?

I'm not going to argue with you. Believe what you want. But, it isn't a secret that he is getting a significant amount of money from the Iowa collective. Iowa outbid others to get him. They knew they needed a QB upgrade and paid for it. Which is fine. That's exactly what Iowa should have done given their situation.

I sure he got a boat load of cash—and the TE from Michigan—and the linebacker from Virginia—and now the Wr from OS also got big NIL deals as well

You don't think that there isn't back channel stuff happening, being mediated by "friends of the program"?

Mo scored a rushing touchdown. We ran for 312 yards. They couldn’t stop us on the ground.
My bad, the one drive where we actually threw the ball -- got nearly all of our yards that drive, over 60 yards on 4 throwing plays -- yes we then punched it in on the ground.

All the other drives, where we mashed it with the run over and over and over, we did not.

They couldn't stop us on the ground so much ... that we couldn't put the ball in the end zone.

We had an inexperienced freshman QB who didn’t take advantage of a strong running game. But not sure why you’re arguing whether or not we ran it at will that game.

We had an inexperienced freshman QB who didn’t take advantage of a strong running game. But not sure why you’re arguing whether or not we ran it at will that game.
One of the simple metrics that is used to judge how good a defense is, is how many points they allowed per game. Other than the two games I mentioned, and then crapping the bed against Nebraska on Thanksgiving, they did very well in that well known metric.

Including, and especially, against us. :(

One of the simple metrics that is used to judge how good a defense is, is how many points they allowed per game. Other than the two games I mentioned, and then crapping the bed against Nebraska on Thanksgiving, they did very well in that well known metric.

Including, and especially, against us. :(
Well that’s a different argument you’re making. Yes they held us to 10 points. But we ran all over them at will which I think was btowngopher’s point.

I think being basically guaranteed the starting role at a P5 school played a major role and is hard to find. You may be right that NIL played a large role as well, but I’ll need to see them bring in some more high end talent before I buy them as a dominant NIL force. Hard to tell when none of it is really public knowledge.

I think being basically guaranteed the starting role at a P5 school played a major role and is hard to find. You may be right that NIL played a large role as well, but I’ll need to see them bring in some more high end talent before I buy them as a dominant NIL force. Hard to tell when none of it is really public knowledge.
I don't think they're a dominate NIL force, and I don't think they went to Iowa simply because they got a boatload of NIL. Perhaps not even their best NIL deal.

I think the chance to play significantly or start on a very solid Big Ten program, with a solid chance to win the West, and getting a solid (not spectacular) NIL package, as a combo, did the trick.

I never said they'd be a dominant force. I said they are a factor now and can go get players through NIL. That after Iowa basically ignored the transfer portal for a few years. Things have changed and their collective is active and has the ability to add to the roster in a way they couldn't before.

Also, there are plenty of P5 schools, including several in the Big Ten, who could have offered a starting QB role for the coming year. P5 starting QB roles aren't that hard to find for a guy who led a team to the college football playoffs.

Iowa paid a handsome price for the Michigan QB.

Doesn't mean every player transferring to Iowa is going to get a huge NIL deal. However, this QB got a really, really good one. Iowa won a targeted bidding battle.

I never said they'd be a dominant force. I said they are a factor now and can go get players through NIL. That after Iowa basically ignored the transfer portal for a few years. Things have changed and their collective is active and has the ability to add to the roster in a way they couldn't before.

Also, there are plenty of P5 schools, including several in the Big Ten, who could have offered a starting QB role for the coming year. P5 starting QB roles aren't that hard to find for a guy who led a team to the college football playoffs.

Iowa paid a handsome price for the Michigan QB.

Doesn't mean every player transferring to Iowa is going to get a huge NIL deal. However, this QB got a really, really good one. Iowa won a targeted bidding battle.
Who did they beat?

I follow Michigan football a bit and my guess is that McNamara could walk into any Big 10 program (except Michigan and Ohio State) and be the starter on day 1 or
I dunno about that, but my question was who did Iowa actually beat out, who was going after him? Just curious.

Top Bottom