I was trying to organize some old files and found these tcf concept illustrations

Are there any concepts that ultimately were not chosen? I always enjoy looking at some of the concepts that were shown along the way. I recall seeing them for the Vikings and Twins but nothing for the Gophers.

I remember these and the excitement that came from looking at them. I notice people on balconies in the third picture. I guess I've never looked close enough, but is that really a thing?

I remember these and the excitement that came from looking at them. I notice people on balconies in the third picture. I guess I've never looked close enough, but is that really a thing?
There are no balconies in the actual stadium. Just windows (or faux windows) in those spaces right up to the exterior.

Other than the open part on the plaza/fences, that's pretty close to what we actually have.

They left out the porta-potties on the north side of the stadium.

Last edited:

Here's some art from a concept/design that was not chosen:

Minnesota-Gophers-Aerial-view-small-copy.jpg

Minnesota-Gophers-Ground-level-view_small-copy.jpg

Minnesota-Gophers-Bowl-view_small-copy.jpg

Final_1117b-copy.jpg

I like the Gold End Zone look. I wonder if they could do it for the Nebraska game.
I like those too.

The volume of fans with flags there though…. who can even see the game?!?!

As for the paint I thought the new turf is largely permanently painted.

Last edited:

Here's some art from a concept/design that was not chosen:

Minnesota-Gophers-Aerial-view-small-copy.jpg

Minnesota-Gophers-Ground-level-view_small-copy.jpg

Minnesota-Gophers-Bowl-view_small-copy.jpg

Final_1117b-copy.jpg

I think these were the materials that were used to get the bill passed for the funding. Then after they had the funding, they went out and hired HOK Sport/Populous and got the renderings that OP started with.

I think these were the materials that were used to get the bill passed for the funding. Then after they had the funding, they went out and hired HOK Sport/Populous and got the renderings that OP started with.
That would make sense.

The ones I found have dates and etc.

The others seem more like good brainstorming/ ideas but not thought out all that much. Stuff is missing and weird layouts.

Last edited:

I like those too.

The volume of fans with flags there though…. who can even see the game?!?!

As for the paint I thought the new turf is largely permanently painted.
I have one somewhere packed away in my garage, but it's also the most foam #1 fingers I have seen at a game since the 80s.

As for the Gold, c'mon we can land people on the moon again but we can't repaint the End Zone after a game?!? ;)

Does anyone know why they made it and East-West stadium versus a North-South? I always get blinded by the sun during the first half, and I cant imagine the players have it much better

Does anyone know why they made it and East-West stadium versus a North-South? I always get blinded by the sun during the first half, and I cant imagine the players have it much better
I think for the view of the Williams, downtown.

If you’re on the home side the view is really cool.

Methinks they knew opposing coaches would have to squint for games with the sunshine coming through...

Really though probably the skyline angle to things. If that's the case, success...

Imagine though if we had Grinnin' Glen's pearly whites gleaming in the sunshine with a north-side Home Bench...

1680734428492.png
Brutal for the Visitors to be sure...

I love the alignment, I know it's not the traditional "right way" to align a stadium, but the connection to campus is great and the skyline view is excellent. Imagine how closed off the stadium would feel if the side facing Williams/Mariucci was a big brick wall.

I love the alignment, I know it's not the traditional "right way" to align a stadium, but the connection to campus is great and the skyline view is excellent. Imagine how closed off the stadium would feel if the side facing Williams/Mariucci was a big brick wall.
Same, it feels so right seeing campus and the city. The open end pointed to traffic looks great too.

It was also the the same direction as the open end of Memorial Stadium.
Generally, however Memorial Stadium opened up to the northwest, and Huntington straight west. This made a difference where players in the old stadium never looked downfield directly into the sun, unlike early season evening games in the new stadium.

Generally, however Memorial Stadium opened up to the northwest, and Huntington straight west. This made a difference where players in the old stadium never looked downfield directly into the sun, unlike early season evening games in the new stadium.
True, and without lights there never were any early evening games at Memorial.

Top Bottom