I take back every bad thing I may have ever said about Gopher fans

TAW

Reaction score
Compared to MSU fans, Minnesota fans - even while suffering through the Punky Brewster era - are, for the most part, models of rationality. If you visit the RCMB, you will find posters recommending that MSU refuse a Cap One bid, add to an e-mail blast to change the Big 10 and/or BCS selection process, asking for eternal damnation to Wisconsin, etc.

Hey, I don't mind that they wish eternal damnation on us, but at least let it be for a rational reason! Apparently it is UW's fault that the Big 10 has the current tie-breaking criteria and that BCS voters (from across the country, mind you) think UW is ahead of both OSU and MSU. They apparently can't fathom that one of the reasons voters place MSU where they do is because their (the voters) best guess is that MSU would lose to OSU, IF THEY HAD PLAYED. Voters also look at the quality of the losses (UW and OSU both lost close games to 11-1 teams, MSU got blown out by a 7-5 team.)

I understand their frustration, but the tie breakers were in place before the season started and you play the cards you're dealt. There are some truly bizarro (but entertaining) threads over there, if you want to waste several minutes of your life.

MSU deserves the Rose Bowl not sconnie. Their coach has class unlike brent enema.

I'd be pissed too if my favorite team finished tied for the best record in the Big Ten, but lost out on the Rose Bowl to a team they had beaten soundly head-to-head.

Missing a BCS game altogether because of Wisconsin's being rewarded for running up the score and Ohio State's media darling status would be the icing on the cake.

Michigan State fans have go up in my regard for learning to hate Wisconsin. It's like they've had an epiphany.

I'd be pissed if I were them too. But they had several weeks to see this coming.

Fortunately, next year there is a CCG to settle this sort of thing.

Yeah, it's kind of a peculiar 3 way tie in that one team (MSU) didn't lose to either of the other first place teams. In my opinion, the first criteria should always be head to head amongst the champions.

I can't fathom how Michigan St. shouldn't get to go to the Rose Bowl, but it is the criteria so it's hard to complain too much.

So you are both (tap and 13) saying that it is Wisconsin's fault that that the current tie-breaking rules are in place?

If not, it is the fault of the process, not the team and blaming the team is a form of kicking the dog for a bad day at work. You can be pissed all you want, but direct it at the source of the decision (hence the rationality comment).

Edited to clarify to whom the post was addressed. Some people type faster than me.

So you are both saying that it is Wisconsin's fault that that the current tie-breaking rules are in place?

If not, it is the fault of the process, not the team and blaming the team is a form of kicking the dog for a bad day at work. You can be pissed all you want, but direct it at the source of the decision (hence the rationality comment).

Nope, I am not even pissed. I personally would probably rather have Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl because I think they have a much better chance at smashing whoever else (TCU, etc.). I also obviously don't blame Wisconsin for anything, that is insanity. I just was saying that I do agree that MSU probably should get to go this season.

It's OK to hate Wisconsin because the sun rises in the East. It's certainly OK to hate them for Michigan State's reasons.

Nope, I am not even pissed. I personally would probably rather have Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl because I think they have a much better chance at smashing whoever else (TCU, etc.). I also obviously don't blame Wisconsin for anything, that is insanity. I just was saying that I do agree that MSU probably should get to go this season.

I agree that Sconnie's got the much better chance of opening up a big old can of whoop-ass on TCU than Michigan St. would. Still have to feel for MSU fans though, as their team undoubtedly did get the shaft. So their anger might be a little misplaced, big deal. At least that misplaced anger is directed towards Becky, which I find quite funny. :)

Wisconsin vs. Stanford in the Rose Bowl.

This needs to happen.

I like Wisconsin in the Rose, and I think they deserve it ahead of MSU.

If MSU beat OSU and Wisconsin (and lost to another team) so they were all 11-1, then yeah, I think MSU would belong even though they could be rated lower in the BCS.

I just don't think MSU is that great of a team. They are an extremely solid team, but not conference champ material, in my opinion. They barely pulled out wins against Penn State, NW, Notre Dame and Purdue.

Other than laying an egg against MSU, Wisconsin is clearly the class of the Big Ten, in my opinion. They have thoroughly dismantled almost all of the teams on their schedule, aside from closer victories against ASU/Iowa/OSU and the loss to MSU.

Just my two cents. I'm going to get tickets on Saturday at the Pasadena resident raffle...if there are any Wisconsin fans that want to buy them before I put them on Ebay/Stubhub, let me know!

Fadger reasoning

We got schooled by MSU, let's ignore that. We ran up the score 4 times against nobodies, that equals greatness. MSU is getting screwed, nobody, including the Fadgers can argue this. According to somebody above, the Fadgers "laid an egg" against MSU. I can say that MSU laid an egg against Iowa, and showed real ability in being able to win when it didn't come easy. I hate the fact that the Big Ten jettisoned the old last one to go rule. I think MSU could handle either Stanford or TCU just as well as Becky can. That being said, I don't blame the anger...but the Fadgers aren't really at fault. When ESPN isn't telling us we should all fall down at the feet of the SEC, and kiss their hem,they tell us we should be singing choruses of worship and praise to OSU. Just another, as if we needed one,reason to jettison the BCS and get to a playoff system.

Hate aside, anyone who's been paying attention sees the way UW is destroying opponents. MSU has snuck by and likely should have lost to both NW and Purdue. They're simply not as good, and the polls/BCS recognize as much. Their beef should actually be with OSU, who has done little to deserve a BCS bowl.

I don't think there are many objective people that would NOT say Wisconsin is the best team in the Big 10 right now. Ironically, it may even be more obvious than one of those years when one team is alone at the top of the w/l standings. Michigan State deserves credit for a fine season but the tie breaking process is what it is.

To be fair to MSU fans, under the old tie breaker---longest Rose Bowl drought, Sparty would have gone.

AND--Everyone else in the conference but MSU voted for the BCS tie breaker. Dantonio argued that they shouldn't let an outside source decide the conference title. The fact that the timing of that rule change screwed them is reason enough to be angry.

I would rather see MSU in the Rose Bowl, don't get me wrong. But honestly, the wisconsin program and its fans got the absolute shaft with the divisional alignment decision.

So while MSU and wisky have both earned it in my mind, it would be wrong (if still hilarious to me) for wisky to get screwed twice in a few months.

I'm torn.

I do think that Wisconsin is better than MSU.

But I also like the idea of getting as many different teams to the Rose Bowl as possible. I thought, at one time, in the event of a tie the rule was that whoever had the longest Rose Bowl drought got to go.

Plus, I hate Wisconsin.

So you are both (tap and 13) saying that it is Wisconsin's fault that that the current tie-breaking rules are in place?

Why then, are you coming on a Gopher message board looking for validation? Becky got beat by Sparty; deal with it. You got your bowl bid, move on & look for some sympathy elsewhere; you'll not receive any validation from me. Sparty got screwed!

This is Karma paying MSU back for screwing the Gophers out of the Alamo Bowl last year.

Mich St. fans have nothing to complain about. If you want to have your choice don't lose 36-7 to a team that loses to Northwestern, Minny, and should have lost to Indiana. Don't almost lose to Purdue, NW, and Notre Dame. Wisconsin is by far the better team right now, they had one hiccup on the road against MSU and that was a 3 point game in the 4th...could have gone either way. There is no comparing the two resumes imo. And for me this stat seals the deal against their 5 common opponents MSU 141 Common Opp 120 Badgers 224 Common Opp 117. Badger margin of victory 17.2 points/game vs common opponents. Michigan St. may be the worst 10-1 football team I have ever seen.

They should have left the old tie-breaker in place. In absence of head-to-head, the school who's gone the longest without being the in the Rose Bowl goes. That's certainly more rational then letting voters in Atlanta and Charlotte and a bunch of computers decide.

News Flash

Mich St. fans have nothing to complain about. If you want to have your choice don't lose 36-7 to a team that loses to Northwestern, Minny, and should have lost to Indiana. Don't almost lose to Purdue, NW, and Notre Dame. Wisconsin is by far the better team right now, they had one hiccup on the road against MSU and that was a 3 point game in the 4th...could have gone either way. There is no comparing the two resumes imo. And for me this stat seals the deal against their 5 common opponents MSU 141 Common Opp 120 Badgers 224 Common Opp 117. Badger margin of victory 17.2 points/game vs common opponents. Michigan St. may be the worst 10-1 football team I have ever seen.

This is why points for does not figure into this. You obliviously don't remember how out of control this used to be. Teams putting up 80 plus against defenseless opponents, all trying to get votes from a coach or sportswriter in Hawaii who wasn't even awake when some games were played. I love the "should have" garbage above...I'm confused, where in the standings is the style points column? Last time I looked, the scoreboard reads MSU 1-0 against the tied teams. 34-24 if I remember correctly...not by 3 and all games could go either way, hence the actual PLAYING of the game versus the crowning of favorites.

Badgers are clearly the better team (and the best team in the conference), so they deserve to go to the Rose Bowl.

Tough luck for MSU, though. I'd be carping like crazy if we were in their position. But, we're 3-9 and without a coach, so I don't have a ton of sympathy for them. :)

Top Bottom