I support BJ now, but here's why to me he was not ready to be B1G coach. I hope he does well though.

SanDiegoGopherFan

Reaction score

alchemy2u

Well-known member​

JoinedNov 13, 2009Messages4,664Reaction score946Points113
SanDiegoGopherFan said:
You must be the type that believes people should get jobs they are not qualified for then. Because yes, you are correct, that is part of my character.

I hate people like that.
So what qualifications and knowledge do you have that makes you think our coach is not qualified for his job? He may not be the most qualified by your opinion, but our AD felt he was the best fit at this time.

FOR THOSE WHO KEEP ASKING WHY I DONT THINK HE WAS READY

In terms of the coaching hierarchy, associate coaches are one step above a normal assistant coach and one step below a head coach.

Tom Izzo – All-American college player

High school coach 1 year

73-83 assistant coach NMU

83 par time assistant MSU

86 assistant Tulsa

86 assistant MSU

90 – 95 associate head coach MSU (grooming period)

95 head coach

Juwan Howard

College All American

Nearly 19 year NBA career with some all star years including winning a couple NBA championships

1 year assistant coach in the NBA (NBA champions)

yes, no formal coaching experience or associate coach experience but come on, you can't say BJ carries the same resume that Juwan does. I'd take a Juwan type for our gophers if we had such a player alumni.

Greg Gard (came with Bo from UW Platteville and was groomed for years to be a head coach)
1990–1993Southwestern HS (assistant)
1993–1994Platteville HS (assistant)
1993–1999Wisconsin–Platteville (assistant)
1999–2001Milwaukee (assistant)
2001–2008Wisconsin (assistant)
2008–2015Wisconsin (associate HC)
2015–presentWisconsin

Matt Painter

Assistant coach from 93-2003

Head Coach from 2003-2004 at Southern Illinois

Associate Head Coach (grooming period but already coached 1 year) from 2004-2005

2005 Purdue head coach

Chris Collins

Played at Duke and was All ACC rookie team and 2nd team All Acc (blue blood program)

Duke Assistant from 2000-2007

Duke Associate Head Coach 2008-2013 (Grooming Period at a blue blood)

Northwester head coach 2013

Micah Shrewsberry

1999-2003 assistant

2005-2007 head coach IU South Bend

08-11 butler assistant

11-13 purdue assistant

13-18 NBA assistant Celtics

19-21 Purdue assistant

21 Penn state head coach

Ben Johnson

2006-2021 assistant head coach. No blue bloods, no nba, no “associate head coach” (grooming position) just an assistant.

There, can we please all just stop with why some of us here don't think he was ready. He just wasn't, at least not for a B1G job. He was never even an associate head coach. But whatever now, he's our coach, I'm on board and we ALL should be on board. Lets cheer him on and move forward. There's no point in arguing this anymore.

Go BJ! and Go Gophers!!!!

I'm really glad you created another thread about this, the 30 others you started weren't sufficient.
People keep arguing with others about "what do you mean he was not ready, who made you the AD, etc etc"

Once and for all this explain why to some of us he wasn't. No other thread has factual resume info if you well, laid out comparing him to other coaches who some on hear say, Well Izzo was never a head coach or Juwan or the Penn state guy, etc etc.

alchemy2u

Well-known member​

So what qualifications and knowledge do you have that makes you think our coach is not qualified for his job? He may not be the most qualified by your opinion, but our AD felt he was the best fit at this time.

In terms of the coaching hierarchy, associate coaches are one step above a normal assistant coach and one step below a head coach.

High school coach 1 year

86 assistant Tulsa

86 assistant MSU

95 head coach

Juwan Howard

College All American

Nearly 19 year NBA career with some all star years including winning a couple NBA championships

yes, no formal coaching experience or associate coach experience but come on, you can't say BJ carries the same resume that Juwan does. I'd take a Juwan type for our gophers if we had such a player alumni.

Greg Gard (came with Bo from UW Platteville and was groomed for years to be a head coach)
2015–presentWisconsin

Matt Painter

Associate Head Coach (grooming period but already coached 1 year) from 2004-2005

2005 Purdue head coach

Chris Collins

Played at Duke and was All ACC rookie team and 2nd team All Acc (blue blood program)

Micah Shrewsberry

1999-2003 assistant

08-11 butler assistant

11-13 purdue assistant

19-21 Purdue assistant

21 Penn state head coach

Ben Johnson

2006-2021 assistant head coach. No blue bloods, no nba, no “associate head coach” (grooming position) just an assistant.

There, can we please all just stop with why some of us here don't think he was ready. He just wasn't, at least not for a B1G job. He was never even an associate head coach. But whatever now, he's our coach, I'm on board and we ALL should be on board. Lets cheer him on and move forward. There's no point in arguing this anymore.

Umm... don’t care.

I'm really glad you created another thread about this, the 30 others you started weren't sufficient.
I know right? I understand people being disappointed in what they perceive as not their ideal hire when it first happened but move on. Whine and post your displeasure every way possible about him since he was hired and then be sure to add you hope he does well. What a tool.

People keep arguing with others about "what do you mean he was not ready, who made you the AD, etc etc"

Once and for all this explain why to some of us he wasn't. No other thread has factual resume info if you well, laid out comparing him to other coaches who some on hear say, Well Izzo was never a head coach or Juwan or the Penn state guy, etc etc.

Can you read and follow the advice of the people on this thread? Your obsession with this is turning you into the equivalent of a raving and tedious religious fanatic. Now, if you have no problem with that image, then carry on. I'll just figure from now on that you have some sort of personality disorder, put you on ignore, and move on.

alchemy2u

Well-known member​

High school coach 1 year

86 assistant Tulsa

86 assistant MSU

95 head coach

Juwan Howard

College All American

2015–presentWisconsin

Matt Painter

2005 Purdue head coach

Chris Collins

Micah Shrewsberry

1999-2003 assistant

08-11 butler assistant

11-13 purdue assistant

19-21 Purdue assistant

21 Penn state head coach

Ben Johnson

Associate Head Coach? Thats hilarious. Keep reaching. Can always question readiness, but that is funny. An inconsistent title from one program to another

I know right? I understand people being disappointed in what they perceive as not their ideal hire when it first happened but move on. Whine and post your displeasure every way possible about him since he was hired and then be sure to add you hope he does well. What a great post

Thanks! :)

Can you read and follow the advice of the people on this thread? Your obsession with this is turning you into the equivalent of a raving and tedious religious fanatic. Now, if you have no problem with that image, then carry on. I'll just figure from now on that you have some sort of personality disorder, put you on ignore, and move on.

Carrying on, Carrying it all the way on

The fastest way to defeat the purpose of bold font is to abuse the use of bold font.

Associate Head Coach? Thats hilarious. Keep reaching. Can always question readiness, but that is funny. An inconsistent title from one program to another
I think they slap that title on a guy so he can't take a non-"special" assistants' job somewhere else. But it does make me wonder, does the Associate Head Coach get to call 1 out of 3 plays or is it 1 out of 4?

What makes you a better qualified coach if your an assistant at a blue blood school? What has collins and wojo done as a head coach?
I actually prefer the guys that dug it out at a low level job in a place that never won until they built it. These so called blue blood guys were part of a program already well built.

I actually prefer the guys that dug it out at a low level job in a place that never won until they built it. These so called blue blood guys were part of a program already well built.
Agreed. I wish they had found a coach who did that. Johnson coached a flailing program with no direction for 5 years then went to Xavier. Not exactly what I was looking for.

So, you're saying he's a communist like you...
Keep raving, alphabet soup.

He would have been more qualified if he had been an assistant at a blue blood....where they benefit from the best talent in the nation? Who would have guess that Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, NC, etc were all better programs ACTUALLY because of the Xs and Os.
Yes, they could at least see how the best do things, whether or not that translates to Minnesota or not is a whole other question. I agree its far from a guaranteed profile, but it isn't the worst. To me its about profiles and figuring out what profiles have the highest chance of success, nobody is a guarantee. I have run departments and while interviews are good, some people interview well and others don't. In the end successful people leave a trail of success behind them. On the spectrum of desired experiences I would put assistant of a blue blood program in fifth of the eight desired profiles, whereas BJ's profile is even two below that, only more desirable than one profile; an unsuccessful head coach at an unsuccessful program.

Head at blue blood - you have run a successful program at the highest level, and their name has cache that raises the program's profile, but this is an unrealistic get.

Head at non blue, successful program, built in their tenure - they have run a successful program, taken it from nothing and turned it into something. This profile is barely below 'Head at blue blood' and I could easily be talked into moving this one ahead depending on the details of the two candidates. This is the profile that I believe is gettable by Minnesota and should have been the one pursued.

Asst at non blue, successful program, built in their tenure - seen how a build of a program has been done, hopefully this person took notes and was one of the key pieces to the turn around. In fact my interviewing would be focused on finding out if this person was a behind the curtain key piece to the rise, if they weren't I would pass.

Head at non blue, successful program, was good before their tenure - they have run a successful program, they haven't proven they know how to take a program from A to B, but have successfully run a program and at a minimum maintained its success level.

Asst at blue blood - seen how the best do it, a lot of risk because they may not know how to run a program, and their experience may not translate. This category and the remaining ones are high risk.

Asst at non blue, successful program, was good before their tenure - seen how to run a successful program, but they may not have taken good notes or the model they've seen may not translate to B1G.

Asst at non blue, unsuccessful program - only roadmap they have is in their head, that they came up with. They have never run a program and haven't had it modeled to them in how to succeed in it. Only hope is that they get lucky and figure it out faster than 90% of all coaches, possible but unlikely. The only reason they are not in the last profile is because they haven't proven yet that if they run a program, the program will suck.

Head at non blue, unsuccessful program - they didn't figure it out before, what's the odds they will figure it out now?

All those other guys were "groomed". Ben Johnson as an assistant had to wear earmuffs during meetings. Just not ready to take on all that information.

Agreed. I wish they had found a coach who did that. Johnson coached a flailing program with no direction for 5 years then went to Xavier. Not exactly what I was looking for.

Ben Johnson was never in a place to change the "direction" as an assistant. Honestly....nobody knows what went on behind the scenes....but it sounds like him and Pitino didn't get along very well. So it's certainly possible that Johnson TRIED to have more input.

Yes, they could at least see how the best do things, whether or not that translates to Minnesota or not is a whole other question. I agree its far from a guaranteed profile, but it isn't the worst. To me its about profiles and figuring out what profiles have the highest chance of success, nobody is a guarantee. I have run departments and while interviews are good, some people interview well and others don't. In the end successful people leave a trail of success behind them. On the spectrum of desired experiences I would put assistant of a blue blood program in fifth of the eight desired profiles, whereas BJ's profile is even two below that, only more desirable than one profile; an unsuccessful head coach at an unsuccessful program.

Head at blue blood - you have run a successful program at the highest level, and their name has cache that raises the program's profile, but this is an unrealistic get.

Head at non blue, successful program, built in their tenure - they have run a successful program, taken it from nothing and turned it into something. This profile is barely below 'Head at blue blood' and I could easily be talked into moving this one ahead depending on the details of the two candidates. This is the profile that I believe is gettable by Minnesota and should have been the one pursued.

Asst at non blue, successful program, built in their tenure - seen how a build of a program has been done, hopefully this person took notes and was one of the key pieces to the turn around. In fact my interviewing would be focused on finding out if this person was a behind the curtain key piece to the rise, if they weren't I would pass.

Head at non blue, successful program, was good before their tenure - they have run a successful program, they haven't proven they know how to take a program from A to B, but have successfully run a program and at a minimum maintained its success level.

Asst at blue blood - seen how the best do it, a lot of risk because they may not know how to run a program, and their experience may not translate. This category and the remaining ones are high risk.

Asst at non blue, successful program, was good before their tenure - seen how to run a successful program, but they may not have taken good notes or the model they've seen may not translate to B1G.

Asst at non blue, unsuccessful program - only roadmap they have is in their head, that they came up with. They have never run a program and haven't had it modeled to them in how to succeed in it. Only hope is that they get lucky and figure it out faster than 90% of all coaches, possible but unlikely. The only reason they are not in the last profile is because they haven't proven yet that if they run a program, the program will suck.

Head at non blue, unsuccessful program - they didn't figure it out before, what's the odds they will figure it out now?

Assistant at a blue blood means that they saw "how a build of a program has been done"? That's complete nonsense. The blue blood programs have been so successful for so long that most assistants there in the past couple of decade never SAW how it was built.

Those programs have one obvious advantage over others.....the ability to get the best players year after year without fail. Toss Krzyzewski, Self, Calipari, or Roy Williams on a middling mid-major and see how they perform. Sure....they are good coaches....but I have little doubt in my mind that there are guys at these levels that can coach as good if not better. There isn't a secret formula that only they have access to. Any random person can watch and study the game and learn if they have the drive to do so.

Ben Johnson was never in a place to change the "direction" as an assistant. Honestly....nobody knows what went on behind the scenes....but it sounds like him and Pitino didn't get along very well. So it's certainly possible that Johnson TRIED to have more input.
What says he and Johnson didn’t get along well? Did he not get along with the Xavier coach? Their record got worse when Johnson was hired. Just trying to wrap my head around him being responsible for all the “gets” but none of the misses. Miraculously Gabe entering the portal has nothing to do with Johnson. It’s incredible.

This may be quibbling, but there is a difference between saying Johnson "wasn't ready" and saying he lacked the qualifications for the job.

One person may be an assistant for 10 years, but isn't "ready" to be the head coach. some people just work better as an assistant, but don't want or can't handle the extra level of responsibility required to be a head coach.

Another candidate may have less experience or fewer qualifications, but they may be more "ready" to be a head coach in terms of intangibles, leadership ability, or just the willingness to accept the responsibility that comes with being the head man and face of the program.

when Fleck was hired at Western Michigan, I suspect there were other candidates who appeared to be more qualified on paper, but Fleck was "ready" to be a head coach and proved it by his results.

We'll find out fairly soon whether Johnson is "ready" for the job.

Assistant at a blue blood means that they saw "how a build of a program has been done"? That's complete nonsense. The blue blood programs have been so successful for so long that most assistants there in the past couple of decade never SAW how it was built.

Those programs have one obvious advantage over others.....the ability to get the best players year after year without fail. Toss Krzyzewski, Self, Calipari, or Roy Williams on a middling mid-major and see how they perform. Sure....they are good coaches....but I have little doubt in my mind that there are guys at these levels that can coach as good if not better. There isn't a secret formula that only they have access to. Any random person can watch and study the game and learn if they have the drive to do so.
Your reading comprehension is poor, this is literally my quote:

The quote you pulled is from my category of an assistant at a non blue blood who built the program on their tenure. So you are making up a fake quote to try and refute what I said; try and actually address what I said and not what you wish I said.

yada, yada, yada, yada, yada, yada, yada, yada.....

The more you guys rail on Ben, the more we like him...

PS (yes, I know my first knee jerk reaction was wtf, but Ben is our coach and as we learn more I like what I see. I would say my initial reaction was more based upon my own ignorance and not anything personal about Coach Johnson.)

Top Bottom