I-O-A-W!!!

M&G BUSt

Reaction score
Every year when the iowa game rolls around, I'm reminded of one of my favorite moments in hawkeye fan idiocy. As you may know, after iowa scores, the cheerleaders spell out i-o-w-a with flags at the four corners of the stadium, and the crowd follows along. I went to the game at kinnick in 2001. After a hawkeye score, the first chearleader waved the "I" flag. The next chearleader waved the "O" flag. Then it gets good....the third chearleader waves the "A" flag!! Then the fourth chearleader waves the "W" flag!! The morons managed to spell a four letter word, the name of their state, the name of their school, wrong! That was funny enough, but thats not the best part.... not only did the chearleaders spell iowa wrong, the entire stadium followed along!! Imagine the crowd chanting I-O-A-W!! That was pure iowa idiot gold.

They must have been going to class with stanzi.

As soon as I saw the title of your thread, I said to myself "2001."

All I remember about that game was an awful non pass interference call on Bennie Sapp on Ron Johnson late in the 1st half that would have gotten us back into the game since the Gophs got the ball first in the 2nd half and being able to hear & feel my pulse inside my head from a hard night of beverages the night before.

I was at that game as well. Here's what I remember from that trip:
1) I-O-A-W
2) Absolutely amazing weather. It was in the 70s and sunny a week prior to T-Giving.
3) Having an 11 year old boy stand on the railing next to the Gophers section and curse at all the MN fans for nearly 3 quarters. The best part was that he was wearing a maroon Florida State t-shirt.
4) Having a 50 year old with a stubbly beard stand next to the kid for about 2 of the quarters and curse at all the MN fans.
5) Having a group of students call my wife an "f**kin slut" as we walked through the tailgate lot to get to the stadium. Having my wife refuse to ever step foot in Iowa City again as a result of that.

I was there too. That was tremendous.

I was at the game in shorts on November 17th. It was great...well, except for the outcome. According to the boxscore kickoff temprature was 52 at 11am. I do distinctly remember it being in the 70's in the afternoon.

The funny thing in regards to Iowa is, at least with WI, most of the people I know from WI are really good people. The only people that I know from IA that I like (3 different families that I know), are ISU grads.

I too was there in 2001, however I was also there in 2007 and 2009 and I think this is something that they always do, as I am pretty sure I have seen that each time I was there. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure others were at the 2007 and 2009 game.

As for 2001 yes the weather was INCREDIBLE and it was my first big ten road game, it was awesome.

I've been there 4 or 5 times but only saw that in 2001. My first road game was a gopher victory in IC in 1999.

Must be someone from Iowa sewing names on Vikings' jerseys these days.

I was at that game as well. Here's what I remember from that trip:
1) I-O-A-W
2) Absolutely amazing weather. It was in the 70s and sunny a week prior to T-Giving.
3) Having an 11 year old boy stand on the railing next to the Gophers section and curse at all the MN fans for nearly 3 quarters. The best part was that he was wearing a maroon Florida State t-shirt.
4) Having a 50 year old with a stubbly beard stand next to the kid for about 2 of the quarters and curse at all the MN fans.
5) Having a group of students call my wife an "f**kin slut" as we walked through the tailgate lot to get to the stadium. Having my wife refuse to ever step foot in Iowa City again as a result of that.

I was also there and the weather was amazing. One of my favorite moments was high-fiving Ron Johnson after the game and walking on the field. As much as we hate Iowa, they have a great stadium.

I too was there in 2001, however I was also there in 2007 and 2009 and I think this is something that they always do, as I am pretty sure I have seen that each time I was there. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure others were at the 2007 and 2009 game.

As for 2001 yes the weather was INCREDIBLE and it was my first big ten road game, it was awesome.

Yes, this is something they always do. However in 2001, the got the order wrong, I-O-A-W. All the other times I have been there, '99, '03, '05, '07, '09 they never spelled it wrong during the chant.

Every year when the iowa game rolls around, I'm reminded of one of my favorite moments in hawkeye fan idiocy. As you may know, after iowa scores, the cheerleaders spell out i-o-w-a with flags at the four corners of the stadium, and the crowd follows along. I went to the game at kinnick in 2001. After a hawkeye score, the first chearleader waved the "I" flag. The next chearleader waved the "O" flag. Then it gets good....the third chearleader waves the "A" flag!! Then the fourth chearleader waves the "W" flag!! The morons managed to spell a four letter word, the name of their state, the name of their school, wrong! That was funny enough, but thats not the best part.... not only did the chearleaders spell iowa wrong, the entire stadium followed along!! Imagine the crowd chanting I-O-A-W!! That was pure iowa idiot gold.

So there were 60,000 or so illiterate fans in attendance? What are the odds? Any chance that maybe Iowa fans have a sense of humor and were enjoying the moment of the initial flag mistake by chanting along? Making a little fun of themselves? Nah!!

Good luck this weekend and happy thanksgiving Gopherholers.

I'm not saying they're illiterate, I'm sure most of them can read at a 3rd grade level, and clearly they know their letters since they were able to recognize them even when they were out of order. Props to the Iowa school system. That being said, I think if the chearleader would have waved the letter "Q" they would have yelled that out too.

Here ya go.

black-and-gold-kinnick.jpg

I prefer this one. However, I can laugh at myself and fellow Iowa fans for screwing that one up.

Top Bottom