I now know what is behind the 2nd level windows at TCF

GoAUpher

Section 246
Reaction score
Or at least I think I do. I was reading a great blog that focuses on Target Field. He was at the Preview Day and was sharing his thoughts on TCF (short summary, he loves it like everyone else). But he had a great picture of exit ramps that wrap back and forth between the outer wall of TCF and the inner concourse wall. Here's the image from his blog and his comments on them:

P8220029a.jpg

TwinsPark2010 said:
Even so, they managed to incorporate very spacious exit ramps (not even hinted at on the outside facade, even though they do have windows as you get closer to the ground). The Twins, of course, took exactly the opposite approach on their circulation ramps, choosing facade elements (the louvres) which call attention to them. Both approaches work, but I think I prefer the Twins' approach generally. Circulation is a central function of these buildings, and there's something to be said for letting a building look like what it is. That said, TCFBS is certainly a justified exception given the goals of the facade, and the genuine beauty they accomplished.

If you look at the stadium web page you can see that there are 4 more exits noted then just the 5 main gates:
exterior_stadium_features_map.jpg

I'm guessing these ramps lead to those exits. My theory is supported by the fact that the 4 extra exits are not located on the home side of TCF, just on the visitors side and on the student end (there is no room for these stairs on the home side b/c of the DQ Club Room, premium lobby, M Room, HOF, Goldy's Lockeroom, recruiting room, etc).

I have no idea why they wouldn't have used these at the Preview Day. Maybe they won't use them unless TCF is expanded? Or maybe there weren't enough folks at the Preview Day to warrant using them. But its something to keep an eye out for on 9/12.

Taking this one step further, as you note, there are 5 additional exits shown (beyond the main gates). Notice they are all on the side of the stadium that would be expanded? That tells me this is for future use if a third deck is added. Basically, the south side of the stadium won't see more seating added, so the existing exit/entry doors will do. But, add a third deck to the North and East sides of the stadium and you'll need more exits. And... this just happens to be where ALL of the additional exit space is located.

The two circulation ramps at TCF twist inside of each other like a double helix (think DNA strand). One of them connects to the marshaling area--which is essentially a large, open, garage-like area behind the main/team and band tunnels that is directly serviced by the exterior door under Lake of the Woods. At the base of that ramp that connects to marshaling, there are exterior one-way doors and a garage door that closes the ramp off to the marshaling area. So when they're letting people out of games, they close the access to marshaling and people naturally know to go out the exterior doors at the bottom of the ramp. This allows carts and small service vehicles to drive up the ramp from marshaling to the concourse when they need to--maybe for stocking concessions or doing gameday setup or tear down. The other ramp that forms the other side of the double helix to my knowledge goes to the concourse and only has exterior one-way doors at it's base. However, I've never seen it's concourse access, though I'm sure it exists. They have doors that close it off on the concourse level as well. They probably didn't use the circulating ramps on the preview because they didn't need to.

One thing I'm confident about is that when the expansion happens (yes, I'm confident it will), they can easily add to the ramps to get them to extend up to the upper concourse.

This is really interesting. I remember seeing the ramps as the stadium was being built before it was fully enclosed from the outside but didn't wonder where they were at the scrimmage. Just goes to show they really did design with the addition in mind - not just the pilings to support the weight but egress as well (also a possible entrance, not just exit, to the 3rd deck?). I am very curious to see if they actually use them on gameday to ease congestion on exit or if it strictly for future use.

The reason those extra stairs are there are purely for exiting after the game, and are in no way tied to the ramps. They are exit only doors for use by everyone in the stadium.
They did not want to staff these areas for entering. No need before games...huge need for exiting after games.

Second, the ramp is purely for ADA requirements. It is located adjacent to the student entrance. They have their own exits and are in no way tied to the stairs.

This allows carts and small service vehicles to drive up the ramp from marshaling to the concourse when they need to--maybe for stocking concessions or doing gameday setup or tear down.

During the University's Faculty/Staff Appreciation Day open house in TCFBS on August 25, everyone was routed down one of the ramps as the easiest way to get people down to field level to experience the turf in the end zone and continue through the home locker room. I asked someone about the intended purpose of the ramps and was told that they were primarily for stocking the concession stands and anything else of a similar nature on the concourse level. It makes sense that they would also serve as a crowd exit route after the game ends.

Also, the marshalling area and adjacent garage doors (under student seating area) that AeroGopher refers to provide access and egress for ambulances carrying injured players.

Top Bottom