I missed the game- ? for those at Williams

JMGIII

Reaction score
I was unable to make it, nor listen to the game today. Obviously a lesser quality opponent (no disrespect to Brown). I read in another post we did not press at all. So, after looking over the box score I have few questions if you don't mind.

1. Was our offense really that efficient?
2. how many points were scored off a defensive play resulting in the break?
3. Top three rebounder's Hoff (10), Ralph (7), Devoe (6) - please explain.
4. Nice to see Colt was 2-2 ft, but what was going on with the 0-4 fg?
5. How did the starting group look with three guards?
6. Did Rodney give Tubby some reason to limit is minutes - He lit up the stat sheet in the 11 mins
7. Devoe & PC looked to have had strong games-PC shot a high % & Devoe's assists-comments?
8. Looks like Bostick's teammates were looking to get him involved-4 shots-garbage/quality mins?
9 Was anyone covering Hoff?
10. Cobbs - 14 minutes - How'd he look ?

Glad to see we did not press. Better teams typically do not have much difficulty with it (bottom four in the BT will). I don't want to read too much into it, but three veteran guards starting today. Interesting.

Thank you to anyone willing to answer.

Go Gophers !!

I was at the game and can say I know absolutely nothing more about our team after this game. Brown was about as bad as I have seen a visting team in mid December.

1. Was our offense really that efficient?
The offense looked decent, but it's hard to tell against a very bad defensive team like Brown.
2. how many points were scored off a defensive play resulting in the break?
Very few. I think they were making an effort to play against a set defense.
Hoff has always been the best rebounder on this team, for his size.
4. Nice to see Colt was 2-2 ft, but what was going on with the 0-4 fg?
He and Ralph did a lot of shuffling due to fouls, I don't think .45 ever got into a groove.
5. How did the starting group look with three guards?
The ball moved much better with Hoff in there.
6. Did Rodney give Tubby some reason to limit is minutes - He lit up the stat sheet in the 11 mins
Rodney seemed fine, I remember 1 play he got lost on defense, but it wasn't a pattern.
7. Devoe & PC looked to have had strong games-PC shot a high % & Devoe's assists-comments?
Solid game from Devoe.. Carter scares me every time he gets the ball.
8. Looks like Bostick's teammates were looking to get him involved-4 shots-garbage/quality mins?
He didn't play until the very end of the first half, when we were already up almost 40.
9 Was anyone covering Hoff?
His shots weren't wide open. They were the types he has to hit against better opponents.
10. Cobbs - 14 minutes - How'd he look ?
I like Cobbs a lot. The offense flows well with him in there, he's very fast, he's strong.. he didn't attack the basket much, but he played good D, pushed the tempo on O, and he hit a 3 when the defense sagged off.

1. No - Brown was not very tough on D.
2. Quite a few, but not due to pressing.
3. Hoff was in the right place with the right effort. Seemed to be an emphasis on guards helping out on the boards.
4. His shots were not that easy (contested on power moves) and some could have gone down just as easy as they missed.
5. Perimeter players stand around too much in my opinion, especially against man-to-man. Hoff's shooting a plus versus Rodney or Carter.
6. I didn't think his play was stellar, but it was solid. He also benefited from some great passes.
7. I thought Devoe was solid and he definitely looks to get the ball inside. PC hustled like always. Didn't think he stood out more than anyone else.
8. I didn't think anyone went out of their way to involve Bostick. He got some shots just like everyone else was. (Cobbs passed up many opportunities to get others involved.)
9. Hoff was covered, but getting shots off wasn't overly challenging for anyone.
10. I think Cobbs was more than solid. I think he has a nice shot (great rotation), but he doesn't look to take it. He looks to involve others first. Works hard on D.

Pressing would have been overkill in this situation. Big first half lead generated some lack of effort on the defensive end in the second half. Even though the game was well in hand, my feelings were that "we are not that good that we can afford to let up on effort - even against an inferior opponent". Just my two cents. And, I think we do have a good team, but we need to play hard at all times to be the quality team we can be.

I was at the game and can say I know absolutely nothing more about our team after this game. Brown was about as bad as I have seen a visting team in mid December.
What he said

I agree with all the other posters. Brown's defense was very poor. However, we did hit shots. It had to be their best shooting night yet, but most of their shots came without anyone in their face, etc. The guys looked very relaxed (which comes when you are up by 40 points).

This should answer a few questions. This was hardly a case of just being too fast for them to keep up. The offense actually worked.

Points in the paint-BRWN 20,MINN 34. Points off turnovers-BRWN 10,MINN 21.
2nd chance points-BRWN 12,MINN 10. Fast break points-BRWN 5,MINN 11.
Bench points-BRWN 34,MINN 33. Score tied-0 times. Lead changed-2 times.
Last FG-BRWN 2nd-00:30, MINN 2nd-02:24.
Largest lead-BRWN by 1 1st-18:43, MINN by 44 2nd-12:26.

Thank you all for the replies. I hate to miss any games, but these "confidence builder" types can be a bit boring. I usually get caught up watching individuals (especially the guys who don't always see as much time), and not really paying much attention to the score.

Go Gophers !!

Since it was a blowout from the beginning, I focused solely on Rodney for his 11 minutes of pt. (For the rest of the game, my buddy and I seemed to discuss the various excellent tap beers we had enjoyed over at S & H's pregame...check out the Fulton IPA) This was the first time to see him in person. What stood out immediately was how big/long he is in person compared to on TV. Yes, he's thin, but his frame, when filled out in a couple of years, should make him a bit of a beast out there... Regarding his game, there's not a lot of wasted motion. Very smooth in his passing, running, and defensive play. He kind of 'lopes along' and then can accelerate immediately. His fast break layups are an example of his instant acceleration. I'd like to see offensive sets that would allow him attempts at shots other than 3's & layups, hopefully that is coming. Also, I'd really like to see Tubby clear a side and let him go one on one.... Nice jumper - nothing in his game needs a drastic 'fix' .. Even though Williams Arena was rather quiet yesterday, when Rodney came off the bench, you could sense some electricity going through the crowd. With continued work on all aspects of his game (and he continues to well in class) he could develop into a go-to scorer that all good teams need. He reminds me of Willie Burton .. not yet the pure shooter Willie was, but a better all around athlete.

Someone must have lit a fire under Ralph last week in practice because he looked to be playing much more physically and aggressively than he has been in earlier games.

Someone must have lit a fire under Ralph last week in practice because he looked to be playing much more physically and aggressively than he has been in earlier games.

I agree rccola.

Ralph looked better but the look that Westbrook shot at the bench was classic in the second half. Lawrence threw a pass inside to Ralph and when it bounced off Ralph's hands and resulted in a turnover, Westbrook shot a look at the bench and shook his head. He rolled his eyes and kind of like .. ok .. this is what you wanted and this is what happened. Had great view of this from the 1st row, second deck, behind the Gophers bench.

Ralph looked better but the look that Westbrook shot at the bench was classic in the second half. Lawrence threw a pass inside to Ralph and when it bounced off Ralph's hands and resulted in a turnover, Westbrook shot a look at the bench and shook his head. He rolled his eyes and kind of like .. ok .. this is what you wanted and this is what happened. Had great view of this from the 1st row, second deck, behind the Gophers bench.

At the same time he did catch a bullet under the basket and dunked it that I don't think he would have done last year.

I'm not reading much into this game. We're talking about Brown.

I say this in all seriousness; last year's state championship Hopkins team would beat Brown. I'm not sure Brown would win the MIAC. ... seriously.

Ralph Hurt

It was posted here recently that Ralph had been playing through a hip pointer, a really painful injury. I am cutting him some slack here for the relatively slow start he has had.

Top Bottom