I liked Kill's first recruiting class

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
But do you think he'll include 4 star/5 star-type guys in the future? Those athletes are usually essential to sustaining long term success. Even Wisconsin inks a few every season. Thanks in advance.

He's already secured one commitment from one player on the Rivals 250 list for 2012. So to answer your questions, yes he will BGD.

He's already secured one commitment from one player on the Rivals 250 list for 2012. So to answer your questions, yes he will BGD.

Just because an athlete is in the top 250 doesn't mean they are a blue chip, 4/5 star recruit. I mean, signing the 217th best player (hypothetically) doesn't mean all that much. Right?

I'm asking if he's going to ink 4-5 of these type of players every season or will he be one of those "wait and develop kind of coaches." I'm just curious because I don't know as much about football recruiting. Please hold the insults.

Just because an athlete is in the top 250 doesn't mean they are a blue chip, 4/5 star recruit. I mean, signing the 217th best player (hypothetically) doesn't mean all that much. Right?

I'm asking if he's going to ink 4-5 of these type of players every season or will he be one of those "wait and develop kind of coaches." I'm just curious because I don't know as much about football recruiting. Please hold the insults.

If he is in the Rivals 250 he will be rated a four star by Rivals. Your original question was "But do you think he'll include 4 star/5 star-type guys in the future?" The answer is yes.

How do you think the Gopher baseball team will be this year BGD?

When we start finishing top 3 or 4 in the Big ten every year than maybe. As of right now, hell no. Wisconsin just got to the rose bowl and has 2 or 3 four stars inked. The reason SEC and BIG 12 schools rack up big time recruits is because their is a $hit load of them right down the street.

If he is in the Rivals 250 he will be rated a four star by Rivals. Your original question was "But do you think he'll include 4 star/5 star-type guys in the future?" The answer is yes.

How do you think the Gopher baseball team will be this year BGD?

Wow, that got old about four months ago. Please try something new. Please.

But do you think he'll include 4 star/5 star-type guys in the future? Those athletes are usually essential to sustaining long term success. Even Wisconsin inks a few every season. Thanks in advance.

No, I'm pretty sure that Kill is going to try to stick with 1 and 2 star guys. I doubt he will ever get any more 3 stars his whole time here either. You're welcome.

No, I'm pretty sure that Kill is going to try to stick with 1 and 2 star guys. I doubt he will ever get any more 3 stars his whole time here either. You're welcome.

He's signed a number of 3 star players already.

And who is this top 250 kid that he's signed from 2012? On Rivals I see that Mike Rallis and Andre McDonald committed for 2012, neither of which appear all that highly touted.

He's signed a number of 3 star players already.

And who is this top 250 kid that he's signed from 2012? On Rivals I see that Mike Rallis and Andre McDonald committed for 2012, neither of which appear all that highly touted.

Andre McDonald is on Rivals 250 list. That equates to a 4 star.

Nick Rallis is on the watch list for ESPN so I see him being a possible high 3 to low 4 star prospect as well on Rivals maybe. Who knows though as none of the three services have anything in common with each other when it comes to their rating systems.

Yes. Maybe no. I think so. I'm not sure. That would be great. That would suck. We're going to be just fine. Maybe not.

Anthing else we want to talk about? Why?

"You seem like a really nice person, why do you honestly need to stoop to insults?"

Maybe it's because you say dumb stuff like this;

"On Rivals I see that Mike Rallis and Andre McDonald committed for 2012, neither of which appear all that highly touted."

BigGopherFan's appearances here remind me of Clay Aiken. You can keep protesting and telling us you're str...a Gopher fan all you want, but your actions continue to show otherwise.

How is this a troll thread???????? I said I liked his first recruiting class. Or did you miss the title of the thread? Sorry if I insulted your precious Gopher football team.

Because people know you're an a$$hole, that's why.

I tried a simple objective approach to address this question. My thoughts are that everyone demands them (high star guys), so this inherently becomes a supply issue.

My approach: I took a conservative approach into the development of these assumptions in order to reduce bias.

Assumptions:
All Schools sign 25 players per year
The Rivals Rankings 25 ***** per year and 225 **** per year
120 FBS schools (from Wikipedia)
Traditional Top 25s will sign more of these players
120 teams X 25 Recruits =3000 signees per year

Simple averages predict that each team will get:
5 stars 25 0.21
4 stars 225 1.88
Top 250 250 0.48
Players per year

Considering that rivals lists the top 25 recruiting classes as signing 252 of these players (yes I am aware of the conflicting totals and the implications for the star rating system) and the Gophers are not one of these teams then the answer is No. We will not sign any next year.

However, given my experience and my suspicions of the rivals rating process (Stars inflated for hype and marketing purposes) I expect to see a few join the Gophers.

Again, given the limited supply of 4 and 5 star athletes I think you may want to temper your expectations into the necessity of these types of players. Also, you may consider that Rivals is just biasing their research towards markets where there are more subscribers. Alas, more prospects in the North get overlooked than in the South (yes, I think college footbal is more popular there). That may explain why teams like Boise and Sconnie can succeed without them. Or maybe not.

Really, the only can conclusion I can reasonalby make is I just wasted 15 minutes posting about something that at best is only a marginal indicator of success.

Although it's fun to get wrapped up in the Top 25 recruiting classes hype, and this player has 4 stars and so on, I don't think it makes the Gophers an automatic contender because they pulled some stary freshman. Remember Brewsters first class, it was ranked in the top 30 nationally, and where did that get us?

Coaches win. Not ESPN ranked recruits. Was Eric Decker highly touted coming out of Rocori? Not that I remember, and he become one of the best Gophers to hit the field. Look at Wisconsin, Northwestern and Iowa, coaching up players and winning games. I'd admit it's fun following the recruits and geek out on all the recruiting websites, but football wise I think coaches and good coaching win more than highly touted recruiting classes. Just my take on it.

Top Bottom