I like this idea: Start playing games earlier (October), but take December off

College hockey sort of does this with a three week December break. I like it for hockey.

For basketball the break would come right when there's a natural isolation bubble (Fall semester is over and Spring semester is yet to begin). Probably not the best idea. Plus, players and coaches are used to that time being all basketball and no school. Cupcakes or not, it would seem odd to change that focus and send players home.

I am not understanding the logic. To me it would make more sense to play the games when there are fewer students on campus (or none). Creates a de facto bubble from Thanksgiving to MLK Day.

College hockey sort of does this with a three week December break. I like it for hockey.

For basketball the break would come right when there's a natural isolation bubble (Fall semester is over and Spring semester is yet to begin). Probably not the best idea. Plus, players and coaches are used to that time being all basketball and no school. Cupcakes or not, it would seem odd to change that focus and send players home.
Could just be a break from games, with most of the time “off” being time to train and practice.

Schools thinking the fall semester after Tgiving would be online to finish.

I'm with Ope3...seems like a huh?? idea to me. If I'm coaching I'm screaming no!!! It has no point. You spent months to get in shape and develop timing and execution and then say "okay, we'll do this again in a few weeks??? WTF?
His idea is waaaay better!!
Guessing Rick Pitino's idea may gain traction of starting after Christmas or February etc when hopefully there is a vaccine and/or better control of covid, hopefully.
Side note....lots of big time college coaches are over 65 and at greater risk to covid...including Rick.
Somebody said five in the ACC alone, with Bray over 60 as well.

Last edited:

Schools thinking the fall semester after Tgiving would be online to finish.

Many schools have already altered their calendars to finish the semester at Thanksgiving. No school in December or January. Second semester begins on Feb. 1 or so.

Many schools have already altered their calendars to finish the semester at Thanksgiving. No school in December or January. Second semester begins on Feb. 1 or so.
If I’m wrong then I’m wrong, but I think the idea is not to end the semester, rather just to not have students come back after going home for Tgiving break.

If I’m wrong then I’m wrong, but I think the idea is not to end the semester, rather just to not have students come back after going home for Tgiving break.

Schools that have altered their calendars with an earlier start date are 100% ending the semester at Thanksgiving (or in Notre Dame's case before Thanksgiving). That was the sole purpose of doing it.

Schools which have not altered their calendars I suppose can still do what they wish about the time after Thanksgiving.

Schools that have altered their calendars with an earlier start date are 100% ending the semester at Thanksgiving (or in Notre Dame's case before Thanksgiving). That was the sole purpose of doing it.

Schools which have not altered their calendars I suppose can still do what they wish about the time after Thanksgiving.
I had not heard of any schools starting early and ending at TG. If you’re saying Notre Dame is doing that, it’s news to me, so thanks for sharing.

As far as I know, the U of MN is not starting early and won’t end the semester after Tgiving.

I had not heard of any schools starting early and ending at TG. If you’re saying Notre Dame is doing that, it’s news to me, so thanks for sharing.

As far as I know, the U of MN is not starting early and won’t end the semester after Tgiving.

Notre Dame is one of many schools that have adjusted the schedule to end at Thanksgiving.

Minnesota has not.

Notre Dame is one of many schools that have adjusted the schedule to end at Thanksgiving.

Minnesota has not.
I would be surprised if UMN’s position isn’t the vast majority. Do you have rough numbers? Or do you mean you just know of several schools that are starting early?

I would be surprised if UMN’s position isn’t the vast majority. Do you have rough numbers? Or do you mean you just know of several schools that are starting early?

Yes, I agree 100% that Minnesota has to be in the majority. Probably not even close.

I wasn't suggesting you were wrong, I was just adding information, that some schools have adjusted their calendars to start earlier to end by Thanksgiving. And the ones that have done so, did it so they would get students off campus quicker for the winter.

Definitely meant it as some or several schools. Not sure how many in total.

Top Bottom