I like Iverson

balds

Reaction score
Has he had a really tough year ( outside of winnng the Butler game for us)? For sure. But so did Hoff in his Sophomore season. I like his size, his physical play an his effort. I think he will be a very solid contributer the next couple of years.

Has he had a really tough year ( outside of winnng the Butler game for us)? For sure. But so did Hoff in his Sophomore season. I like his size, his physical play an his effort. I think he will be a very solid contributer the next couple of years.

I agree with you. Things will change next year when we hopefully have a PF. Ralph and Iverson have done a great job of passing the ball. I can only dream of seeing these guys passing the ball to Trevor and Rodney next year. It will be a lot of fun.

Go Gophers.

Sophomore slumps are very common...I wish the best for the kid...I think he has Spencer Tollackson potential...Tollackson had a decent senior year with the gophers...I'd take that out of colt45.

So do many of us ... He just needs to continue to improve and finish at the rim. That will come. He's seems to be behind Ralph (in his game) by about a year... He could have used a red-shirt year....but with the rebuilding project in front of Tubby, that wasn't an option.

RS3 is blossoming into a bright Big Ten star...thanks to the help of Tubby Smith...This guy was supposed to be a project...he's already starting to dominate now down low and he's only a sophomore.

I like him in a Trevor Winter-ish role as our backup center -- he's got to continue to bulk up, though. If he can give us 15ish tough, physical minutes per game behind RSIII I think that will be a success out of him. Gotta finish on those bunnies, though.

Agree

Outside maybe two teams, I'd be hard pressed to find another team we've played that has a Center tandem that I'd rather have than ours. And they are both Sophomores. Say what you will, the Center position the year has been one of the least of our worries. Sampson will do much better against Juwan Johnson, he was/is a bad macthup for Iverson.

Hoping for the best for Colt, he's really struggling right now. Watching the game today I thought several times "Why cant we have THIS version of Ralph and the Anaheim tournament version of Colton?" I think we just have to have patience with 7 foot kids, you never know when it will all come together for them.

Colton is like Spencer Tollackson without the ability to score. He is a backup for frontcourt depth and fouls only.

I think early on in his career Spencer was flat footed...and missed many bunnies...but he was a hard working kid who stayed late after practice to work out and get better. I would believe that colt45 does the same thing. Colt45 is a much better defender than Spencer was...I will give him that, and taller. A rawly talented 7 footer takes lots of time to develop...Sampson is developing faster than Colton, which was not expected. Plus maybe the high school level of play that Colton experienced was not as high as some of these other centers. I don't know too many good 5A teams in South Dakota. I think Yankton was probably the best in SD, but I would compare it to the Elk River of Minnesota of sorts; probably a better team than ER though. Hopefully this kid will pan out, but if not I think he should transfer to SDSU, or someplace where he can be the star.

I think early on in his career Spencer was flat footed...and missed many bunnies...but he was a hard working kid who stayed late after practice to work out and get better. I would believe that colt45 does the same thing. Colt45 is a much better defender than Spencer was...I will give him that, and taller. A rawly talented 7 footer takes lots of time to develop...Sampson is developing faster than Colton, which was not expected. Plus maybe the high school level of play that Colton experienced was not as high as some of these other centers. I don't know too many good 5A teams in South Dakota. I think Yankton was probably the best in SD, but I would compare it to the Elk River of Minnesota of sorts; probably a better team than ER though. Hopefully this kid will pan out, but if not I think he should transfer to SDSU, or someplace where he can be the star.

Iverson is getting the ball in places he can't handle it. When he gets the ball in close to the basket he does much better. If he gets it 8 feet from the basket and attempts to dribble or if they try to get it to him on the move- you are looking at a turnover. As he gets stronger he'll be much better. He can still become a real good Big Ten player.

I agree, putting the ball on the floor is the worst thing to do as a big man. He just needs to go up strong and he will probably get fouled more than likely. His freethrow shooting is horrendous, and may very well stay that way for life(Shaq). The kid still has upside, and could very well do a good job in the Big Ten.

I like Iverson too, but it appears that whenever he breathes on someone he gets called for a foul. I think he's just a split-second too slow right now, but when he gets a little quicker he'll be in position on defense.

Iverson is the best at setting screens. Especially down low. If Johnson or any of the guards have made it to the basket, note the Iverson screen. Count on him for rebounds. He looked fabulous on offense in the Butler game so we know he can do it. Keep working hard, Colt! You will earn the Colt45 nickname!

I like him as well. No, never all Big Ten but not hard to imagine him continuing to improve. Has the frame to pack on 25 more pounds as well, doesn't help his shooting, but a greater physical force, tires a defense.

Another vote for.....

the big scandahoovian. He's not a finished product and his strength and toughness are evident. I really think he just needs to get mentally tough, (start believing in himself) and he could have a huge upside.

I like his size and his physical presense. Can he develop the footwork, soft hands, and confidence to become an impact BIG 10 player is the question.

the big scandahoovian. He's not a finished productm and his strength and toughness are evident. I really think he just needs to get mentally tough, (start believing in himself) and he could have a huge upside.

Completely agreed... +1

You can't teach tall.

One of my favorite qoutes is "You can't teach tall". I am not sure who was originally quoted.

you cant teach hard hands and slow either....lets hope he develops. When you break down the film, there are some things he can learn. Can he develop some nice low post foot moves and be able to go to his right and left shoulder? Will he learn to aggressivly finish with a dunk! Can he improve on his ability to block out and rebound, and make a strong outlet pass? Can he set up the screen on the high post? He needs to limit is minutes to turover ratio and become a more effective all around player.

The lid's been on the basket for Colt this year.

Last year he hit 60.3% of his FGs. This year 40.5%. You don't often see a drop like that for a guy who shoots mostly bunnies.

On the plus side, his rebounding is up, 4.5 compared to 3.6 per game last year. His other stats are pretty consistent for the last two years (even the TOs).

Yesterday in the Strib, Timberwolve's coach Curt Rambis talking about Al Jefferson on the one-year anniversary of his knee injury said: "We're still working on explosiveness ... he pump-fakes and does an up-and-under where in the past that'd be an easily dunk. He's still laying the ball up." What do you think Colt? ... the bunnies aren't falling, so how about working on that "explosiveness" stuff and getting yourself some of those "easy dunks".

Top Bottom