I hope...

burton34

Reaction score
Flip Saunders replaces Tubby Smith at the end of March. Best team of Tubby's tenure and all he manages is a 9th place BT finish. Unreal.

Make it quick, Teague - no nomination committees, ... etc... Flip can bring in Tucker, Q Lewis, maybe Eric Musselman, so recruit some shooters and actually be ahead for once in a road game....

Al Nolen had the comment the year he became academically inelligible when the team went into a tailspin that "the team should just go out and play and ignore Tubby".

That comment has stuck with me, part of coaching is motivation and getting your players to believe in themselves, I'm just not sure Tubby knows how to do that, probably not intentional but it sure appears to happen every year that they lose confidence half way through the season.

Time for a change, you don't pay two mil for ninth or tenth place finishes year in year out.

Al Nolen had the comment the year he became academically inelligible when the team went into a tailspin that "the team should just go out and play and ignore Tubby".

That comment has stuck with me, part of coaching is motivation and getting your players to believe in themselves, I'm just not sure Tubby knows how to do that, probably not intentional but it sure appears to happen every year that they lose confidence half way through the season.

Time for a change, you don't pay two mil for ninth or tenth place finishes year in year out.

Seems to happen every year the last 3 or 4 years. No injuries or transfers to blame it on this year. Makes you wonder if was just the injuries and transfers in past years.

In the past I was willing to think that the transfers and injuries were keeping the team from playing up to their potential. I kept wanting to think that Tubby would be able to turn it around when the team was heathy. Well, it is a lost cause.. When all of your players lose their ability to play basketball (shot, drive, defend, set a screen, etc...) and look lost out on the court it is not the players, it is the coaching! I feel very bad for the players, it has got to be difficult for them to get all of the conflicting messages, get thrown under the bus and lose to obviously inferior teams. Tubby has had a good career, but it is time for him to move on.

As Jamiche said in another post, Tubby has ten million reasons why he won't willingly move on!

In the past I was willing to think that the transfers and injuries were keeping the team from playing up to their potential. I kept wanting to think that Tubby would be able to turn it around when the team was heathy. Well, it is a lost cause.. When all of your players lose their ability to play basketball (shot, drive, defend, set a screen, etc...) and look lost out on the court it is not the players, it is the coaching! I feel very bad for the players, it has got to be difficult for them to get all of the conflicting messages, get thrown under the bus and lose to obviously inferior teams. Tubby has had a good career, but it is time for him to move on.
This is why Tubby has drawn my ire like no other coach in Minnesota history, either pro or college. Unless he lost the ability to coach, his mental faculties seem fine, he has become legitimately lazy. He became what we all feared he'd become, a guy collecting a large paycheck who lost the drive and viewed this as a semi-retirement job.

This is why Tubby has drawn my ire like no other coach in Minnesota history, either pro or college. Unless he lost the ability to coach, his mental faculties seem fine, he has become legitimately lazy. He became what we all feared he'd become, a guy collecting a large paycheck who lost the drive and viewed this as a semi-retirement job.

Can't beat the retirement annuity. In the financial field that I am in, the equivalent is working for a Japanese Bank at the end of your career!!!

As easy an explanation as this is, I have a hard time buying it. I just never made Tubby Smith out to be a slacker, and I severely doubt he wanted his legacy to include going out with such a whimper. I will buy that we're not getting his best effort, but I think the underlying cause is more complicated than a cynical or calculated semi retirement.

So what is the "underlying cause"?

Is like to hear from those that disagree with my opinion what the other causes of this sharp turn in Tubby Smith's career. Not saying I'm correct, just would like to hear alternative theories.

@AmeliaRayno: Williams said he thinks that one of the reasons the #Gophers have trouble finding someone to take over is bc they have "so many weapons."

WOW...I knew we were good but apparently we are too good!!!

Yeah I think the way he coachs obviously does something to the players mental psyche. Nobody wants to play for tubby I mean 6 transfers in 6 years are you kidding me and every players has gone on to be a stud at their respective new schools something is wrong there

Just our luck. this will be the year no one comes calling for Tubby. If he stays. how about at least getting rid of some asst coaches and hiring Flip as a co-coach - so Tubby will retire in a few years... The only way he has any confidence with the fans now if he could guarantee Tyus and Vaughn and that;s seem a long shot...

WOW...I knew we were good but apparently we are too good!!!

In some sense I can see his point. If each guy is unselfish they don't want to be "too aggressive" and make a bad play.

Look at the Lakers in the NBA, too many weapons with a record similar to the Gophers. It's tough to fit all that together sometimes. Rodney doesn't want to step on Andres toes. Andre doesn't want to keep Trevor from getting touches. However, those thoughts should be eliminated and just make the right play. Don't worry about touches or egos and just play team ball.

Top Bottom