I hate to do it

victor04

Reaction score
Like seemingly every gopher fan I was quite impressed by the game today. Sound tackling, 1 big play given up, and an overall fiery group.

ONe of the few negatives to me, and a glaring one, is the once again no sack total. We were facing one of the better o lines in the nation today, with a mainly inexperienced group of de's. Based off this I am going to hold off true judgments until the end of next week, if we dont get at least one sack by the end of our next week than things will be a little more worrisome.

Like seemingly every gopher fan I was quite impressed by the game today. Sound tackling, 1 big play given up, and an overall fiery group.

ONe of the few negatives to me, and a glaring one, is the once again no sack total. We were facing one of the better o lines in the nation today, with a mainly inexperienced group of de's. Based off this I am going to hold off true judgments until the end of next week, if we dont get at least one sack by the end of our next week than things will be a little more worrisome.

I agree that our lack of a sack again is a bit troubling, but there was some pressure put on Barkley - he was just good enough to get it away properly. I think the variable you're forgetting about is just how good Barkley is...he is not a guy who will take too many sacks, IMO, and thus getting no sacks here isn't a true surprise. When you replay the USC scores, notice how much time Barkley actually had (all day), which is why he threw such nice passes in those situations.

Still, I thought the defense looked much better than last year in so many ways, and even felt that they brought more pressure than in the past, as well, even if the sack stats didn't show it.

How many times did we blitz?

Not many.

Barkley is such a stud in the pocket. Dude hardly even moves his feet.

Studwell55 said:
How many times did we blitz?

Not many.

Barkley is such a stud in the pocket. Dude hardly even moves his feet.

Cuz he didn't have to. We got in his face a handful of times. Not coincidentally, those were usually among his incompletions. I think he went like 35 for 45. Granted, most were high percentage throws like slants & bubble screens, but that's sick.

Someone will argue "we should have blitzed more, since no one was covering Woods anyway". But give the coaches credit for their adjustments. After halftime woods only had about 60 yards and no scores. Sometimes the coaches do know more than us fans. Whoddathunkit?

Cuz he didn't have to. We got in his face a handful of times. Not coincidentally, those were usually among his incompletions. I think he went like 35 for 45. Granted, most were high percentage throws like slants & bubble screens, but that's sick.

Someone will argue "we should have blitzed more, since no one was covering Woods anyway". But give the coaches credit for their adjustments. After halftime woods only had about 60 yards and no scores. Sometimes the coaches do know more than us fans. Whoddathunkit?

The way USC was playing offense and we were lining up defensively, it was smart not to blitz much, since most of the passing plays were short drops. Blitzes wouldn't have gotten to the QB in time to help.

However, we could have tried to get our D-backs on the line to bump the receivers, and then blitz to shake things up. I would have liked to see that.

it could have been much worse, like losing to Ball State at home.

...and Utah State almost beat Auburn. There's a million stories in the City...

Top Bottom