I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet...but...here it is

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Before the season started, I said that I thought the 2014 Minnesota team was a comparable for this one in terms of expectations. I thought that team resembled this one in that it was a veteran team with a fairly tough schedule that also included Ohio State at home. As it turns out, the schedule this year isn't quite as tough as I expected because Indiana and Colorado are worse than expected and Nebraska still hasn't emerged from its funk yet. But, Purdue is better than expected.

If you're a fan of historical precedents, how's this one:

1636637835291.png

We weren't expected to lose to Illinois that season but we lost a close one and the game directly after was a blowout win over Iowa. Coincidentally that season, Illinois beat Minnesota, Penn State, and Northwestern in conference. This season, they've also beaten Minnesota and Penn State and have Northwestern remaining on the schedule.

The location of those two games was the reverse of this season. The season numbers of those games were almost the same: #8 and #9 in 2014, #9 and #10 in 2021. We were 6-2 going into the Iowa game in 2014 and are 6-3 going into the Iowa game this season.

UPDATE: In the earlier posting, I didn't look up Iowa's season. One more coincidence: In 2014, Iowa had just beaten Northwestern the week before the Minnesota game.

Last edited:

Before the season started, I said that I thought the 2014 Minnesota team was a comparable for this one in terms of expectations. I thought that team resembled this one in that it was a veteran team with a fairly tough schedule that also included Ohio State at home. As it turns out, the schedule this year isn't quite as tough as I expected because Indiana and Colorado are worse than expected and Nebraska still hasn't emerged from its funk yet. But, Purdue is better than expected.

If you're a fan of historical precedents, how's this one:

View attachment 15235

We weren't expected to lose to Illinois that season but we lost a close one and the game directly after was a blowout win over Iowa. Coincidentally that season, Illinois beat Minnesota, Penn State, and Northwestern in conference. This season, they've also beaten Minnesota and Penn State and have Northwestern remaining on the schedule.

The location of those two games was the reverse of this season. The season numbers of those games were almost the same: #8 and #9 in 2014, #9 and #10 in 2021. We were 6-2 going into the Iowa game in 2014 and are 6-3 going into the Iowa game this season.

It’s almost like the The Magic Numbers of Dr. Matrix, Lincoln/Kennedy.

In 2014 Brian Ferentz was a smug dbag coaching the Iowan OL. Seven years later in 2021 Brian Ferentz is a smug dbag coaching the offense. There are 7 days in the week and 7 points in a touchdown. The numbers 14 and 21 are divisible by 7. Coincidence?

It’s almost like the The Magic Numbers of Dr. Matrix, Lincoln/Kennedy.

In 2014 Brian Ferentz was a smug dbag coaching the Iowan OL. Seven years later in 2021 Brian Ferentz is a smug dbag coaching the offense. There are 7 days in the week and 7 points in a touchdown. The numbers 14 and 21 are divisible by 7. Coincidence?
the-office-rude.gif

It's IOWA week. Don't Kill our joy!

Unfortunately for us, the 2014 results against Illinois and Iowa were the exact opposite as far as home/away.

But I like the optimism.

Unfortunately for us, the 2014 results against Illinois and Iowa were the exact opposite as far as home/away.

But I like the optimism.

True, but we're 3-0 on the road this season vs. 3-3 at home. All 3 of our underperforming games (Miami (OH), BGSU, and Illinois) have been at home (also as a favorite). In all three of our away games we significantly outperformed betting line expectations. We are also 3-0-1 against the line as an underdog and 3-1 straight up as an underdog.

True, but we're 3-0 on the road this season vs. 3-3 at home. All 3 of our underperforming games (Miami (OH), BGSU, and Illinois) have been at home (also as a favorite). In all three of our away games we significantly outperformed betting line expectations. We are also 3-0-1 against the line as an underdog and 3-1 straight up as an underdog.
I like how the stars are aligning but would be more convincing if Sanford had been OC all that time.

All I can say to this game is this.... I went to two different high schools. One week after the Gophers lost to BG, I went to the first HS reunion on the day we beat Purdue. This past Saturday the Gophers lost to Illinois in strikingly similar fashion. This Saturday I'm going to my second HS reunion.

I have no idea how much pull my coincidences have from a thousand miles, but....

And the Badgers beat the Gophers to go to the Big 10 Championship game that year. Perfect.

And the Badgers beat the Gophers to go to the Big 10 Championship game that year. Perfect.
While you'll undoubtedly pi$$ some off with that comment, I can only speak for myself in saying that if MN wins these next two and has a chance at the division headed into that Wisc game I'll feel better than I do now about the season as a whole -- regardless of outcome.

While you'll undoubtedly pi$$ some off with that comment, I can only speak for myself in saying that if MN wins these next two and has a chance at the division headed into that Wisc game I'll feel better than I do now about the season as a whole -- regardless of outcome.
No doubt. I would love both teams to be 6-2 heading into that game.

Top Bottom