I don’t blame Ben…

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Because if someone offered be 6-7x more than my current salary to take a job I was unqualified for but wanted…I’d do it. Add in the fact he gets paid even if he sucks at it and if they fire him he gets paid??? Amazing. He did the right thing by taking the job. And, what if he succeeded? $2 mil+ per year FOR LIFE.

I blame Coyle/UofM administration/whoever decided this was the right hire. Apathy is setting in. I feel an exodus coming. Next year they might be worse. But don’t blame Ben for failing at a job he should have never had. He’s chewing gum and coaching these kids up. Unfortunately lots of gum left so the rest has to wait.

Any person who isn’t already wealthy would be stupid to turn down the job. If someone gave me a multi-million-dollar contract to direct movies, I’d do it. So what if I suck and get fired? Some fans and my employer get mad, and I have to deal with short-term discomfort and embarrassment. Meanwhile, in 2-3 years, I’ve basically set myself and my family up for life. Sign me up.

But yes, be furious as the goons who hired him.

This might be Coyle’s Waterloo. I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes a new job at another P5 school this June.

The worst hire I ever made was falling to the temptation to hire someone who had (at least apparently) a set of talents and skills important to the job that the previous person did not have. Nothing wrong in trying to upgrade, but overcompensating can create more problems than previously because what was there is not even close in the new hire.

The perception in the hiring process here was that the failure of local recruiting in the previous coach was the most important factor in the current hire. The hiring team overcompensated in that one important, but not MOST important, factor.

I lived with the results for two years, mercifully survived it, and hired the best person I have hired in over 35 years. The hiring team blew it. It's not Ben's fault, and it can be rectified. They just need to be humble enough to admit the error, and move forward.

100%. I don't dislike Ben. I actually don't know if he ever gets another HC job in college.

The administration is at fault. They put someone in a position to fail and they are watching him drown just so they could pat themselves on the back.

This might be Coyle’s Waterloo. I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes a new job at another P5 school this June.
If he does- he's either a coward or he's angry because of what Gabel made him do, which also means he was a coward and didn't stand up to her.

The worst hire I ever made was falling to the temptation to hire someone who had (at least apparently) a set of talents and skills important to the job that the previous person did not have.

Doesn't everyone do this with women, when they go from the last one to the next one?

I might lose out on the next superstar coach, but Minnesota should never have to hire an assistant. I want someone that has been in charge of the whole show. Even from a much smaller school there is no way to simulate that experience. I’m not saying Minnesota is a great job at the moment but the money we have from the big ten market is huge.

to be fair - it's always easy to second-guess a decision that doesn't work out.

I don't like Coyle - BUT in no way do I believe that Coyle "knew" this wasn't going to work out, or that Coyle "was forced" to hire something whom he believed to be unqualified. he may have been encouraged to consider certain factors, but Coyle knows that it's ultimately his decision and he's going to take the heat if it doesn't work out.

I believe that Coyle thought Johnson could do the job. Right now, it appears that Coyle was wrong.

People in charge make mistakes. See "Timberwolves, Minnesota" for a short history.

I don’t blame Leidner but I do blame Jerry Kill for the crap qb play.

I don't think that comparison is fair. Leidner was more successful in his first two years of starting than Ben Johnson has been in his first two years. That's why Leidner's final year of starting was so disappointing (even though the team had a pretty good record).

to be fair - it's always easy to second-guess a decision that doesn't work out.

I don't like Coyle - BUT in no way do I believe that Coyle "knew" this wasn't going to work out, or that Coyle "was forced" to hire something whom he believed to be unqualified. he may have been encouraged to consider certain factors, but Coyle knows that it's ultimately his decision and he's going to take the heat if it doesn't work out.

I believe that Coyle thought Johnson could do the job. Right now, it appears that Coyle was wrong.

People in charge make mistakes. See "Timberwolves, Minnesota" for a short history.
Appears MN needs to hire an athletic director of basketball.

Because if any unqualified anyone can offer my 5* recruits 6-7x more than my current salary to transfer…I’d do it. Add in the fact he gets paid even if he sucks at it and if they fire him he gets paid??? Amazing. He did the right thing by taking the job. And, what if he succeeded? $2 mil+ per year FOR LIFE.

I blame Coyle/UofM administration/whoever decided this was the right hire. Apathy is setting in. I feel an exodus coming. Next year they might be worse. But don’t blame Ben for failing at a job he should have never had. He’s chewing gum and coaching these kids up. Unfortunately lots of gum left so the rest has to wait.
Fixed it for you.

Top Bottom