I didn’t Dare say anything for fear my Buddies would say I was drinking the Kool-aid…

EE_Gopher

Reaction score
This spring, I had some time off work, so I went to an open scrimmage at TCF. I watched the drills and stayed around for the scrimmage. What I saw really surprised me. The defense simply kept everything in front of them. No botched assignments leading to 70 yard “jog in the end zone” touchdowns for the offense. The offense was being stopped on running plays in the backfield. Now you can say that they were playing against the Gopher offense, but just prior to the start of the 2010 season, I went to a scrimmage and watched our 2nd string offense run at will against our 1st string defense. It was almost as if the defense was playing with more than 11 players, because they just seemed to be everywhere. I remember driving home and wondering whether to tell my friends what I saw. I chose not thinking “I’m just drinking the kool-aid”.

I know it’s early, but what I have seen in these 1st three games is what I saw this spring. There haven't been any big plays against them. Eventually, the defense might get outmatched, but I’m guessing that it won’t be because they’re missing assignments and out of position.

It is fun watching a defense that is well coached.

This game should be a pretty good indicator of where the defense is at. Syracuse has put up good offensive numbers in their first three games including hanging 41 on what looks like a pretty solid Northwestern team in a loss. Hopefully the QB pressure/sacks & INT's will continue as the quality of opponent improves. It has been a while since we have hd a defense we could really count on.

Yep, Syracuse has run up good offensive numbers and two of their three games have been against BCS teams. So, this is the first game where Gopher performance can be pigeon holed into some sort of direct comparison to what we will see in the B1G.

EE_Gopher,

Never, ever apologize for having faith and more importantly, keep the faith!

Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers!

I know it’s early, but what I have seen in these 1st three games is what I saw this spring. There haven't been any big plays against them.

Depends on how you define big plays. I count 7 plays (4 passing, 3 rushing) of 20 or more yards that the D has allowed this season and believe no other Big Ten team has allowed more than Minnesota has.

This includes, of course, the 22 yard run on first down that lead to Western Michigan's late TD last Saturday and closed the gap to 28-23.

So far, so good (enough), but so far the Gophers D hasn't face a team that was supposed to beat them.

MN's d has also given up a lot of 15-19 yard plays.

I liked how we handled Western Michigan. They are a headache to play against. They run 15 players on the field and then run 7 off and then run 3 on to create bad matchups. They also have to have the largest playbook in the NCAA. Very confusing.

Depends on how you define big plays. I count 7 plays (4 passing, 3 rushing) of 20 or more yards that the D has allowed this season and believe no other Big Ten team has allowed more than Minnesota has.

This includes, of course, the 22 yard run on first down that lead to Western Michigan's late TD last Saturday and closed the gap to 28-23.

So far, so good (enough), but so far the Gophers D hasn't face a team that was supposed to beat them.

Well, it's not like they were gonna go from absolute crap to world beaters in one season. It's about progress for this team, and this program. Giving up 5 regulation TDs (2 on really short fields) in three games is major progress for this team, no matter who we're playing. Syracuse will be a major test, if we can pass that one, then it's on to the next test, being B1G season, and hopefully we can keep getting better.

This also points to the value of getting sacks and TFLs. Make them have to make up yardage. Like that 4th down play to end it against WMU. We gave up 15, but they needed 18, so too bad lol.

Back in 2010, Spann of Northern Illinois averaged 14.9 yards per carry. I guess that kind of has affected my perception of what a big play is.

If you are going to try and downplay the effectiveness of the defense at least be correct in your facts. They haven't allowed anything over 30 yards which of all the "experts" I've read, consider over 30 yards a "big" play. Do you have any proof that they have allowed more "big plays"? That's the first I've heard of it. Define "a lot" when you get a chance also.

If you are going to try and downplay the effectiveness of the defense at least be correct in your facts. They haven't allowed anything over 30 yards which of all the "experts" I've read, consider over 30 yards a "big" play. Do you have any proof that they have allowed more "big plays"? That's the first I've heard of it. Define "a lot" when you get a chance also.

Your e-motions are getting the best of you.

The Cuse offense has looked more than competent. But offensive competency at home and offensive competency on the road are different things. This will be uncharted waters for them too. Hopefully everyone is loud when we're on defense, and bouncing when its third down. That will really help rattle their qb.

I was at the game this Saturday. What a defensive effort! That was what I saw this spring at the scrimmage. The only time I remember a Gopher defense resembling that was Holtz's 85 team that nearly upset Oklahoma losing 13-7.

I was at the game this Saturday. What a defensive effort! That was what I saw this spring at the scrimmage. The only time I remember a Gopher defense resembling that was Holtz's 85 team that nearly upset Oklahoma losing 13-7.

Except that was a undertalented group rising to the occasion. I think our D has got some great athleticism on is. Thanks for bringing up the memory of that game. Even though a loss it gave so much expectation moving forward.

Minnesota 21st in total defense
43rd in 3rd down conversions
9th in passes intercepted
11th in Passing efficiency defense
6th in pass yards per attempt against
23rd in sacks
30th in scoring defense
17th in turnover margin

I'll take it.

Top Bottom