I can't wait to see what we got for Christmas!

Sportsfan24

Reaction score
Excuse me if this has been covered in another thread but I can't wait to see the play of Phillip Nelson after Kill and staff has had a chance to devote weeks to his development without having to worry/scheme for an opponent each week.

One of the hardest things a coach and player can do is insert a QB who was redshirting in the middle of the season (that's why it's not done often). The staff has had a chance to watch plenty of film on the youngin, decipher and more importantly, time to correct any technique issues he may have had. I don't expect a finished product but I'm excited to see what improvements he has made.

Nelson has had a chance to take a deep breath and several weeks to focus on areas of improvement. For me the bowl game is kinda like an early Christmas present for next season!

The opportunity to work and continue the development of players is why making even what some may consider a bogus bowl (not saying this bowl is bogus....ahh what the hell some will assume I am regardless...lol) extremely important.

Go gophers.

I can appreciate the optimism but at the end of the day, Nelson is still a 19-year old kid playing QB in his first year in a new system. I think he'll do well, but it will have just as much to do with the fact TTU isn't exactly a juggernaut on the defensive side of the ball.

Similarly on the offensive line; it's awesome that they're getting healthy and ready to go for the bowl game, but it's still mostly a group of FR and SOPH along the line, and with a group of WR's that are also young and don't instill a lot of fear in the opponents.

All that being said, the extra month of work is absolutely priceless. Impossible to put a value on this chance to get some more work in, especially for the underclassmen that haven't gotten many reps.

Those 15 practices are a big deal for a team this young. I some people mock that notion, but they are being wrongheaded. Practice makes perfect.

Those 15 practices are a big deal for a team this young. I some people mock that notion, but they are being wrongheaded. Practice makes perfect.

Agreed, bowl practice is also a place where you start getting an inkling for position changes. Also; it gives coaches a chance to get a look at players who weren't getting reps because they weren't in the 2 deeps.

The opportunity to work and continue the development of players is why making even what some may consider a bogus bowl (not saying this bowl is bogus....ahh what the hell some will assume I am regardless...lol) extremely important.

Go gophers.

On the subject of "Bogus" bowl games......there are 35 bowl games this year. Here's a breakdown: 9 games match two ranked teams. 4 games have 1 ranked and 1 unranked team, and 22 games match 2 unranked teams.

SF24 - with the benefit of your vast wisdom, please tell us - which bowl games are bogus, and which ones do you consider 'legitimate' games - so I won't waste my time watching a 'bogus' game.......

On the subject of "Bogus" bowl games......there are 35 bowl games this year. Here's a breakdown: 9 games match two ranked teams. 4 games have 1 ranked and 1 unranked team, and 22 games match 2 unranked teams.

SF24 - with the benefit of your vast wisdom, please tell us - which bowl games are bogus, and which ones do you consider 'legitimate' games - so I won't waste my time watching a 'bogus' game.......

You must have missed the part where he wrote '(not saying this bowl is bogus....ahh what the hell some will assume I am regardless...lol)'

Not that needs defending but I think the bogus bowl comment is tongue and cheek

"SF24 - with the benefit of your vast wisdom, please tell us - which bowl games are bogus, and which ones do you consider 'legitimate' games - so I won't waste my time watching a 'bogus' game.......[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this was shot back against all of the rubes on the Star tribune site and internet who call bowl games not involving top teams or BCS games as meaningless like they used to in the Mason day's when we would play teams and the people that crack that the Gophers should turn down and not go to the Meineke car care bowl. These 15 practices are important and like having a second spring practice as well as good for recruiting.

Please reread the first post and don't worry about it.....I have made my more than my share of mistakes.

Opps didn't answer your question. I don't consider any of them bogus. It's a chance for people with the same interest to travel and fellowship together; how can than that be bogus?

From a team aspect who thinks the gophers playing in the Meinke Bowl elevates them to greatness...nobody; so how can this be bogus. It's a reward for a team that was completely irrelevant last season (2011). These players give up a lot, this is a small and well deserved reward...I don't consider it bogus.

No...practice makes permanent! Lousy practice doesn't help, and can actually lead to bad habits. Luckily, we have a coaching staff that demands the best.

I know what you meant to say, but it's pet peeve of mine when I hear that.

Excellent points!

Excuse me if this has been covered in another thread but I can't wait to see the play of Phillip Nelson after Kill and staff has had a chance to devote weeks to his development without having to worry/scheme for an opponent each week.

One of the hardest things a coach and player can do is insert a QB who was redshirting in the middle of the season (that's why it's not done often). The staff has had a chance to watch plenty of film on the youngin, decipher and more importantly, time to correct any technique issues he may have had. I don't expect a finished product but I'm excited to see what improvements he has made.

Nelson has had a chance to take a deep breath and several weeks to focus on areas of improvement. For me the bowl game is kinda like an early Christmas present for next season!

Go gophers.

I like your perspective! I agree with Ogee's perspective as well. I am excited too!
Excited to see the improvements the whole team has made. Anxious to see what we look like with some more guys healthy. I am very pleased we are in a bowl game and the fact it is a decent bowl game is even cooler!

I agree with the fact that the 15 extra practices are important, especially for this team at this point in time. One of the benefits of this bowl game that I think has been underrated a bit is the potential boost in recruiting that could result. I'm a huge Gopher football fan, but I'm also a resident of Houston, and I've already seen two weeks before the game a large ad for the game in the Houston Chronicle (had a picture of Seth Doege and Phillip Nelson) and a commercial during a Texans game. This bowl, if I'm not mistaken, is the most attended non-BCS bowl not named the Cotton Bowl. The Gophers' brand is much much improved in one of the top recruiting cities in the nation just because they are in the game. The Meineke Car Care Bowl may not be the most prestigious game ever, but the Gophers couldn't ask for a better bowl to help them in recruiting considering where the program is at right now. Saying that this bowl is bogus, in my opinion, is ignorant.

Going to the Bowl is the best thing that could happen to this team at this time. The extra practice and the ability to say the team went to a bowl is a benefit they could not claim last year. Improvement for this year will only help for next year.

So we're all agreed, going to a bowl is better than not going to a bowl?

So we're all agreed, going to a bowl is better than not going to a bowl?

Are you just trying to extend this thread? Troublemaker!

I for one think it's great. See ya in Houston, folks!

Phil and Grey working together for an extra month has got to help

Top Bottom