I can't stand Iowa, but this just sucks

Perhaps an explanation about why the team had struggled recently. Would not wish mental health issues on my worst enemy. Family needs to be respected for confronting it and acting on it. Sounds like he has struggled with anxiety at various degrees for a long time.

That's tough. Mental health can really be a tricky business as it's not always easy to see the signs when someone is going through it. Hope Patrick gets the help he needs and the rest of the family can offer the support that needed

Get better soon young man, get better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fran McCaffrey said he has 2 daughters with the same thing.

Holy crap, that sucks.

Last edited:

It's good that he's recognized and is prioritizing it. Best thing to do is remove the outside noise and the factors that contribute while he's figuring out how to deal with it.

This isn't a direct correlation to his cancer history and it's probably even less of a factor considering his family history, but anxiety rates amongst cancer survivors is really high. They aren't really sure what it is because it's not anxiety that would seem to be obvious (like being anxious over doctor's visits or hypochondria), it could be completely unrelated (ie irrational fear of heights, agorophobia).

I'd guess it is PTSD/PTSS related but it is a real thing.

Like everyone else said, I wish him the best. Once he's feeling better, we can go back to rooting against him.

That sucks a lot. Wish him the best and hope he finds the help he needs. Luckily he seems to be personally aware as our friends and loved ones. He should have the resources available on campus to help as well.

It's good that he's recognized and is prioritizing it. Best thing to do is remove the outside noise and the factors that contribute while he's figuring out how to deal with it.
Agreed. I continue to be impressed with these student athletes who speak out about their mental health issues and wish him well.

This isn't a direct correlation to his cancer history and it's probably even less of a factor considering his family history, but anxiety rates amongst cancer survivors is really high. They aren't really sure what it is because it's not anxiety that would seem to be obvious (like being anxious over doctor's visits or hypochondria), it could be completely unrelated (ie irrational fear of heights, agorophobia).

I'd guess it is PTSD/PTSS related but it is a real thing.

Like everyone else said, I wish him the best. Once he's feeling better, we can go back to rooting against him.
Yeah I haven’t seen any studies about this but I’d certainly believe it to be it to be true. My wife had cancer a few years back and after after going through all of the treatments and what not and she was cleared as cancer free I started having real issues with anxiety. It was strange because I didn’t really have any anxiety issues until it was over.

Top Bottom