I am unfamiliar with the landscape around here...

Jmmy Chitwood

Reaction score
but the locked thread bashing tubby contains a comment I have to respond to - Bill Carmody is the best coach in the Big 10. for one, carmody is not a terrible coach, but he is certainly not an elite CBB coach by any measure.

Tom Izzo anyone?
many hate him but Bo Ryan
and hate him or not, Tubby has a national title

being unaffiliated with Minnesota makes it interesting to read the comments on here.

I find it amazing that Minnesota almost beat so many top teams and is still near the NCAA bubble considering all the injuries and other issues.

there are plenty of pieces coming back next year. I fail to understand who those who want Tubby gone would like to bring in as opposed to letting Tubby see what he can do with the returners.

and the contract extension is one thing, but buying him out and paying someone else? come on...

but the locked thread

A locked thread? Awesome!

Mods - you let things go way too far before you do something. Although I certainly enjoy my time on the fudgehole I believe you let things get out of hand before either locking threads or banning obvious trolls.

I am unfamiliar with the landscape around here...

It is mostly flat in the western regions, but gets hilly in the eastern part of the state. Our tallest "hill" is Eagle Mountain up by the Boundary Waters area. The South Eastern part of the state is hilly as well, especially clsoer to the Iowa/Wisc. boarders. Lots of farm land throughout the state-which goes well with the flatness of the landscape. Water is the thing that makes us famous though-lots of water. Hope this helps.

but the locked thread bashing tubby contains a comment I have to respond to - Bill Carmody is the best coach in the Big 10. for one, carmody is not a terrible coach, but he is certainly not an elite CBB coach by any measure.

Tom Izzo anyone?

being unaffiliated with Minnesota makes it interesting to read the comments on here.

I find it amazing that Minnesota almost beat so many top teams and is still near the NCAA bubble considering all the injuries and other issues.

there are plenty of pieces coming back next year. I fail to understand who those who want Tubby gone would like to bring in as opposed to letting Tubby see what he can do with the returners.

and the contract extension is one thing, but buying him out and paying someone else? come on...

+1

I would have to give the B10 coach of the year to Izzo this season. Lots of controversy surrounded MSU to start the year, but the team really battled through it. Draymond Green became a better player than anyone could have expected. Izzo definitely has the best of his MSU boys this season, and I expect another Final Four run.

"I am unfamiliar with the landscape around here... "

2 parts:

1. Tour the State of Minnesota: Let's say you were to start at La Crosse WI, go up along the Mississippi river on Hwy 61 all the way thru Hastings and around the east side of the Twin Cities, pick up I-35 to Duluth. From there head up to International Falls. Then angle your way down to Bemidji and then over towards Moorhead. Then take I-94 to Alexandria and work your way to Willmar, and then on to Worthington, thence take I-90 all along the southern tier of Minnesota back to La Crosse. You will see everything in the landscape, with lots of variety.

2. In the landscape of the GopherHole, that landscape is consistently the same. Lots of ill-wind that blows 24/7.

Mods - you let things go way too far before you do something. Although I certainly enjoy my time on the fudgehole I believe you let things get out of hand before either locking threads or banning obvious trolls.

disagree

The post in question was in the context of he has to get players that meet NW's academic standards yet he is still able to compete cause he does a fantastic job of coaching them

Tom Izzo anyone?
The context doesn't fit in the same way it does for Carmody. Yes, he's probably the best coach in the Big Ten.
Same reason as Izzo, not the same context.
Tubby's national title was many years ago. Does that make him less of a coach? No, but I don't think it's a good argument to use him as an example here when there are guys like Izzo, Matta, Painter, and Ryan who have had MUCH more recent success. Sorry, Tubby is not the best coach in the Big Ten.

Based on some of your posts this surprises me

Because the failings of this team were obvious 2 years ago, yet Tubby has done nothing to actually fix them. We NEED a PG and the best one he has recruited left because Tubby told him they'd go fast-paced but they didn't. I don't think Tubby should be fired but I can understand some reasons for getting rid of him
Tubby has no buyout, if I understand right.
The bold is me.

It is mostly flat in the western regions, but gets hilly in the eastern part of the state. Our tallest "hill" is Eagle Mountain up by the Boundary Waters area. The South Eastern part of the state is hilly as well, especially clsoer to the Iowa/Wisc. boarders. Lots of farm land throughout the state-which goes well with the flatness of the landscape. Water is the thing that makes us famous though-lots of water. Hope this helps.
These attempts at humor are really not funny at all.

The bold is me.

fair responses.

I tend to think fans overreact. I see no reason why Tubby would not be back next season based on a fair evaluation of the entire program, what is coming back, what is left on his contract, etc.

again - a contract extension is an entirely different issue.

Minnesota showed plenty of fight this season, and returns a lot.

patience is a virtue, even if sports fans typically don't have any patience whatsoever.

again - who do you bring in heading into a season where you return nearly everyone and add 2 kids who want to play for tubby? flip saunders? give me a break...

fair responses.

I tend to think fans overreact. I see no reason why Tubby would not be back next season based on a fair evaluation of the entire program, what is coming back, what is left on his contract, etc.

again - a contract extension is an entirely different issue.

Minnesota showed plenty of fight this season, and returns a lot.

patience is a virtue, even if sports fans typically don't have any patience whatsoever.

again - who do you bring in heading into a season where you return nearly everyone and add 2 kids who want to play for tubby? flip saunders? give me a break...

I definitley agree with you, but I think Shaka Smart would have very little transitional issues taking over this team. Someone from Comcast sports tweeted that Minnesota, if they have any doubt about Tubby, should offer Shaka a blank check. I tend to agree. For anyone else, Tubby is going to be the best option, but Shaka is the guy you grab right now regardless of who your coach is if you aren't already successful.

I definitley agree with you, but I think Shaka Smart would have very little transitional issues taking over this team. Someone from Comcast sports tweeted that Minnesota, if they have any doubt about Tubby, should offer Shaka a blank check. I tend to agree. For anyone else, Tubby is going to be the best option, but Shaka is the guy you grab right now regardless of who your coach is if you aren't already successful.

I doubt Shaka Smart would come here. He turned down North Carolina St. last year for $2 million and they have a practice facility. I really doubt we would be willing to offer the $2.5+ million that it would take for him seriously consider us. There are a lot of programs in the country that he could coach at if he wanted to, and I doubt he would pick Minnesota.

I doubt Shaka Smart would come here. He turned down North Carolina St. last year for $2 million and they have a practice facility. I really doubt we would be willing to offer the $2.5+ million that it would take for him seriously consider us. There are a lot of programs in the country that he could coach at if he wanted to, and I doubt he would pick Minnesota.

I agree, no chance we get one of the hottest coaching commodities in the country to come here in the current state.

mattw1067 said:

That's what I mean. He's the only one worth the blank check we'd have to provide to get him. There is some amount of money that would lure him. Do you make a mid-major coach one of the highest paid in the big 10 conference though? Depends how Good the U thinks he'd be. They have to pay him like a top 3 coach even though he'd have accomplished zilch here and bet that he will be a top 3 coach. Many believe he's a superstar coach (include me in that group) and would earn that money pretty quickly. I imagine if you gave him a lucrative enough contract he'd come. You'd overpay what other jobs could get him for though for reasons above.

Define "obvious troll." Anyone that is not a Gopher fan? Gimme a break.

Shaka would be more likely to go to Illinois than Minnesota and who would blame him. You don't have to leave the state of Illinois to recruit great talent, they have a practice facility, on campus arena and a lot of good returning players.

notagopherfan said:
Shaka would be more likely to go to Illinois than Minnesota and who would blame him. You don't have to leave the state of Illinois to recruit great talent, they have a practice facility, on campus arena and a lot of good returning players.

Minnesota would have to pay more Due to facilities obviously, but I'd argue MN has a team built to run like Shaka does. Only loses one player from a team that will likely finish the same as Illinois did. Oh and has one of the strongest recruiting classes in the nation coming up in 2014, a new president and new AD to hopefully push sports forward and get state of the art facilities. Assuming he is a stand up guy, Minnesota also requires probably half of the cheating that Illinois does to succeed (many believe the only way to recruit Chicago successfully is cheating)

I do agree we'd have to pay more for him and he'd be more likely to pick Illinois, but I think the same positives that drew Tubby here could draw other coaches.

And all of that said, I don't think there is any chance this happens and I wouldn't employ the get him at all costs strategy for anyone but Shaka. I truly believe he is going to be a great one by the time it is all said and done.

Top Bottom