I am not a doctor

husker70

Reaction score
But I find this just a little premature. If you watched the LSU vs. Wisconsin game, you saw Konrad Zagsebski strapped and carted off the field. Reports he was sent to a local Houston hospital for tests and treatment. And now this from ESPN:

"[Starting defensive end Konrad Zagzebski, who was carted off the field against LSU after sustaining a blow to the head, is practicing this week and could play Saturday against Western Illinois.

Zagzebski told reporters he temporarily lost feeling on his left side after the hit and was taken to the hospital as a precaution. He underwent tests and was cleared to return to practice."

The protocol for any head injury in my neck of the woods requires a little more than three or four days away. I am questioning not only the medical advice that cleared him to return to practice, but also fear this could be a precursor to a more serious outcome.

Seems to me you are clearly right. I have not heard of a guy getting that kid of nerve involvement over one side of his body or even an arm or a leg being brought back that fast.
Maybe one of the Doc's that posts on here can straighten us out.

"I am not a doctor"

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Stinger. Toughen up. MRI looks good? Let him play.

Hate to see anyone get hurt, even uw-madison kids. However, Stave not playing due to Knoblach-syndrome makes me chuckle.

Andersen is a grade 4 sandbagger so who knows when he'll really be back. Buckeyville has been a joy to read this past week. Most of the posters appear to think GA threw Stave under the bus to save face. It has gotten really, really ugly. Stave himself denied being hurt upon which he was shut down by GA. It is quite the saga and nobody appears to know the real story.

Does anyone really know what the injury was? Cord contusion, stinger?

Stinger with loss of feeling and no signs of concussion? I see no reason he can't play. I'm sure they've run all the tests.

Seems to me you are clearly right. I have not heard of a guy getting that kid of nerve involvement over one side of his body or even an arm or a leg being brought back that fast.
Maybe one of the Doc's that posts on here can straighten us out.

I am not a doctor for the upper end of the body, so no comment from me.

I just don't know.

Stinger. Toughen up. MRI looks good? Let him play.

Hate to see anyone get hurt, even uw-madison kids. However, Stave not playing due to Knoblach-syndrome makes me chuckle.

Good thing u break donation stories and don't see patients! Stingers involve a single appendage- not the entire side of a body. To numb the entire side of a body the injury has to be above the nerves of the neck- either in the top of the spinal cord or within the brain itself. Given the mechanism of injury I'd think a concussive injury to the sensory area of the brain to be very possible.

Good thing u break donation stories and don't see patients! Stingers involve a single appendage- not the entire side of a body. To numb the entire side of a body the injury has to be above the nerves of the neck- either in the top of the spinal cord or within the brain itself. Given the mechanism of injury I'd think a concussive injury to the sensory area of the brain to be very possible.

I believe you're taking quotes from stories you read too literally.

Stinger. (Nerve injury... not a brain injury.)

MRI looks good, get back out there.

In my mind nothing good ever comes from a story starting with "I'm not a doctor, but..." and the "patient" following the advice.

Stinger with loss of feeling and no signs of concussion? I see no reason he can't play. I'm sure they've run all the tests.

Yeah with the amount of attention being payed to head injuries there is no way they would clear him to return to practice if there was any doubt from a concussion standpoint. They are facing off against Western Illinois so I can't see them rushing him back for a game they should be able to win without him.

I believe you're taking quotes from stories you read too literally.

Stinger. (Nerve injury... not a brain injury.)

MRI looks good, get back out there.

Good thing he didn't have a seizure or else he wouldn't even be fit to stand on the sidelines...

Good thing he didn't have a seizure or else he wouldn't even be fit to stand on the sidelines...

Homer, we don't need that kind of a Souhan reference here. If ya meant sarcasm, please include an icon indicating such.

Rub a little dirt on it.

That is what my football coach used to tell me to do. I never did think that he was very smart.

P.S. - I saw your post about wren not voting for me. What are you trying to do? Stir up trouble between us?

There's really no way to know exactly what happened to him. We don't even receive info that he had a concussion, in which case a second concussion syndrome would be a huge risk for him to play. However, this seems more like it could be a stinger in which case there's no real risk of a traumatic secondary swelling of the brain as it's dealing with nerves in the cervical spine rather than the brain.

image.jpg
“You’re playing days are over, my friend. But you can always fall back on your degree in Communications! Oh, dear Lord.” – Dr. Hibbert
“I know. Is phony major. Lubchenko learn nothing! Nothing!” – Anton Lubchenko

I am an MD and the symptoms and recovery described are consistent with a "stinger" which is a brachial plexus injury. There is no chance this is brain trauma.

I am an MD and the symptoms and recovery described are consistent with a "stinger" which is a brachial plexus injury. There is no chance this is brain trauma.

Disagree with you to the extent of how the symptoms were initially described- which was loss of feeling in half of the body. A stinger is painful and emanates from an injury of the cervical nerves (which subsequently form the brachial plexus as u mention), it does not involve paresthesia. Any true numbness involving half the body is almost always due to brain injury- see many of them in my practice unfortunately.

Disagree with you to the extent of how the symptoms were initially described- which was loss of feeling in half of the body. A stinger is painful and emanates from an injury of the cervical nerves (which subsequently form the brachial plexus as u mention), it does not involve paresthesia. Any true numbness involving half the body is almost always due to brain injury- see many of them in my practice unfortunately.

Keep up the good work, Doc.

Homer, we don't need that kind of a Souhan reference here. If ya meant sarcasm, please include an icon indicating such.

Yes, please. Some of us only read pitcher books.

Not disputing your info at all because I am sure it is accurate but in this case I would still lean towards trusting the medical personnel that actually evaluated him to make the proper decision on whether he should play or not. Still come back to the fact that they are playing Western Illinois so I don't think there would be any temptation there to rush him back for a game they can most likely win pretty easily without him.

Not disputing your info at all because I am sure it is accurate but in this case I would still lean towards trusting the medical personnel that actually evaluated him to make the proper decision on whether he should play or not. Still come back to the fact that they are playing Western Illinois so I don't think there would be any temptation there to rush him back for a game they can most likely win pretty easily without him.

As a rule of thumb, the coaching staff and those they employ will always have the athlete's best interest in mind.

Top Bottom