I am not a conspiracy theory guy but..,

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
…it sure does seem like there are some questionable calls in close games vs Ohio State and Michigan.

1. That time the Gophers were hanging with Ohio State and Leidner took a helmet crown right to his face on a pick 6 play. It was called right on the field but somehow was overturned on review, allowing the pick six to stand. B1G office admitted the head scratching mistake later, I believe.

2. That time (2018?) the Gophers were trading touchdowns with Ohio State and looked surprising good against the Buckeyes until a phantom ref ball spot gave OSU a first down that led to an unearned TD.

3. That time another targeting foul was overlooked against OSU in the season opener, but upon review the refs did decide the concussed Gopher receiver did somehow have possession long enough to fumble. OSU ball, game over.

4. And of course today with the phantom onside kick offsides call.

5. Don’t forget prior to the phantom offsides call, the refs also tried to take away Jackson’s TD catch, which was perfect in every way. Very obvious on replay thankfully.

Who knows if the Gophers would have won any of those games? But when you are playing teams with that many advantages, it takes a Herculean effort to not only overcome the opponent, but the refs too.

There can be a bad call in any game, but it does not take a huge imagination to wonder out loud about conference and reffing goals when this stuff seems to consistently benefit the conference’s golden geese.

…it sure does seem like there are some questionable calls in close games vs Ohio State and Michigan.

1. That time the Gophers were hanging with Ohio State and Leidner took a helmet crown right to his face on a pick 6 play. It was called right on the field but somehow was overturned on review, allowing the pick six to stand. B1G office admitted the head scratching mistake later, I believe.

2. That time (2018?) the Gophers were trading touchdowns with Ohio State and looked surprising good against the Buckeyes until a phantom ref ball spot gave OSU a first down that led to an unearned TD.

3. That time another targeting foul was overlooked against OSU in the season opener, but upon review the refs did decide the concussed Gopher receiver did somehow have possession long enough to fumble. OSU ball, game over.

5. Don’t forget prior to the phantom offsides call, the refs also tried to take away Jackson’s TD catch, which was perfect in every way. Very obvious on replay thankfully.

Who knows if the Gophers would have won any of those games? But when you are playing teams with that many advantages, it takes a Herculean effort to not only overcome the opponent, but the refs too.

There can be a bad call in any game, but it does not take a huge imagination to wonder out loud about conference and reffing goals when this stuff seems to consistently benefit the conference’s golden geese.
You can add Purdue and Penn State during the Mason era to that list.

I wish I could say this is BS, but it's not. It's not just here. It's everywhere. Protected interests. Yes, we shot ourselves in the foot a couple times, but with how we played in the 2nd half, we dug ourselves out of that hole and should have had possession with a chance to tie or take the lead. I think anyone with half a brain cell can see that profits are placed above fairness.

OSU, Michigan, and Penn State have always been protected teams and have gotten some brutally bad calls go their way over the years. I'll never forget the phantom PI in OT on 4th down against PSU in 2006.
Yes. I was thinking of that game as well.

I wish I could say this is BS, but it's not. It's not just here. It's everywhere. Protected interests. Yes, we shot ourselves in the foot a couple times, but with how we played in the 2nd half, we dug ourselves out of that hole and should have had possession with a chance to tie or take the lead. I think anyone with half a brain cell can see that profits are placed above fairness.

Just because it happens in every conference doesn't make it less BS.

You don’t become a billion dollar industry without protecting your top brand names.

You forgot this fiasco vs Michigan in 2015 on Halloween where the Gophers had the game winning TD called back and put on the 1 yard line, then failed to get in at the end.

I watched this game in a chicken suit and it's in the pantheon of worst bullshit Gopher losses.

Gophers massively outgained Michigan, won the turnovers, and still lost when also facing the refs.

Even if there's not a conspiracy, the conference employs the referees and the referees are aware that certain outcomes will help viewership and interest in the conference which will help the conference financially long-term. Those outcomes are having teams go into big games (ex. Ohio State vs Michigan) with as strong of records as possible and, in the past, keeping your best teams at no more than 1-2 good losses to give them a shot at the CFP. How could there not be temptation to make calls that help your employer? Even if it's not blatant bad calls, at the very least avoid a bad call that hurts your employer, and if you're going in with that in the back of your mind for only one team it's hard to call a fair game.

The CFP piece will be interesting going forward because instead of propping your best team, there will be an incentive to strengthen your 3rd through 5th best teams that could be on the bubble.

You can add Purdue and Penn State during the Mason era to that list.
Gophers have been on the wrong end (and good side) of other calls against other opponents like Purdue, to be sure. But that isn’t my point. My point is the consistency it has happened vs OSU and to a lesser extent but notable ways against Mich and PSU too.

Referee Plum in the library with the yellow flag

I’ve seen so many bad calls against the gophers that I almost expect a bad call when we are close to an upset. It’s just the way it has always been.

I’ve seen so many bad calls against the gophers that I almost expect a bad call when we are close to an upset. It’s just the way it has always been.
I barely flinch anymore. (I also watch and care far less because of it.). Add Vikings, Wolves, Twins to that list as well. The last bad call that went a MN team’s way might have been Hrbek pushing Gant off of first base a third of a century ago. Coincidentally, it’s also the last major MN sports team that won a title.

Another reason this seems fishy is because on a level playing field in close games, you’d expect to win some and lose some. In these instances where reffing infuses a critical boost at just the right time, the results are not 50/50. They 100% in favor of the golden geese.

Top Bottom