Huskers Tailgate

go4rube

By the Beard of Zeus!
Reaction score
For those headed to Lincoln this weekend, where are you tailgating? I have seen that Haymarket Park (baseball field) or the Indian Reservation (10th and Military) are the best suggestions for tailgating. We have 18 guys and are looking for a good spot to go.

What I've heard is that tailgating is expensive and hard to come by generally - basically, plan to be there REALLY early if you want to go because most of the places nearby are season ticket holders only. My group has a hotel about a mile from the stadium and I think we'll be walking over and doing the bar thing.

What I've heard is that tailgating is expensive and hard to come by generally - basically, plan to be there REALLY early if you want to go because most of the places nearby are season ticket holders only. My group has a hotel about a mile from the stadium and I think we'll be walking over and doing the bar thing.

I believe this is what we are doing as well. I didn't want to hassel with trying to drive down by campus and try to find a spot/pay for a spot to park. I heard that the bars are pretty busy and they have open beer gardens around also.

Tailgating in a beer garden just doesn't do it for our clan. Anybody know how much game day tailgating is at Haymarket Park (baseball field) or the Indian Reservation?

We were going to tailgate (looks like you can buy some passes online to some of the lots), but are now just going to bar it up.

Planning on bar hopping instead of tailgating. Old Chicago at 10 and see what happens from there.

Park in the big fields about 2 miles from stadium. Walk through the tailgate lots and meet up with the Husker fans, they will take you in, we were there for the Texas game in 2010 and everyone was partying together, it was pretty cool.

You can park at the baseball stadium for 25. The indian reservation is also a popular spot and has a bit more of the college aged crowd, but it is always a good time. I believe it is 20 dollars a car, and is pay lot only, no passes. The tailgating is different here than most places in that it is spread out over a vast area. Most of the tailgating takes place to the west of the stadium under the bridge or to the north in the bottoms neighborhood and the reservation. I would recommend just walking around and finding places. There isnt much to the east and south you get into downtown, there are donor lots spread out throughout campus that have tailgating as well.

For those of you who are thinking you want to go to the bars, wait til after the game. Go walk around the tailgate lots to the west of the stadium and you will be wined and dined, you will have a good time. Save the bars for post game, as thats when they get the most action.

The main strip of bars is located on O St between 12th and 15th. Off O st to the north, there is the Single Barrel, which has a mechanical bull and is a good time, as well as the Embassy Suites, which gets a good crowd. They have an outdoor beer garden which usually has live music of some kind. All of them is within walking distance to the stadium. Barrys is the newest bar/restaurant in DT Lincoln and has a rooftop bar as well. I have not been yet but I hear it is pretty cool. It is located between DT and the haymarket district.

The Haymarket district is more of a restaurant/bar area, and there are a variety of things down there. I'm not sure how good it is pregame, but I imagine there are a good amount of people down there post game. Also short walk to stadium.

If you guys have any questions I'll be more than willing to help out. GBR!

For more info, take a scroll through this thread- http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/59994-gameday-info-for-lincoln-visitors/

We will actually be driving back to the Twin Cities after the game (yep, I realize I'll be getting home well past midnight!). Is there a recommended parking lot/garage that makes for the best exit to I-80? I'm thinking of pre-purchasing a spot online at the Larson Building Garage which is the closest to the stadium with availablity. I realize trafic will be a bear, but it is what it is.

Looks like there are three ways out of town:

1. Get on I-180 up to I-80 this is closest to the stadium, but I'm guessing it's the most crowded, as well.
2. Get on Hwy 6 and connect with I-80 north east on town
3. Take O Street which turns into Hwy 34 and go east and eventually go north and connect to I-80

thanks!

We will actually be driving back to the Twin Cities after the game (yep, I realize I'll be getting home well past midnight!). Is there a recommended parking lot/garage that makes for the best exit to I-80? I'm thinking of pre-purchasing a spot online at the Larson Building Garage which is the closest to the stadium with availablity. I realize trafic will be a bear, but it is what it is.

Looks like there are three ways out of town:

1. Get on I-180 up to I-80 this is closest to the stadium, but I'm guessing it's the most crowded, as well.
2. Get on Hwy 6 and connect with I-80 north east on town
3. Take O Street which turns into Hwy 34 and go east and eventually go north and connect to I-80

thanks!

I don't think you'll have a big traffic issue from that garage as long as you don't head back toward the stadium. I would suggest taking O Street all the way to 84th St. Head north on 84th, right on Cornhusker Hwy (Hwy 6) and then you'll meet up with I-80 in a couple miles.

Head to Omaha and take a left to Sioux Falls, or take a right to Des Moines. You'll get back, either way.

I don't think you'll have a big traffic issue from that garage as long as you don't head back toward the stadium. I would suggest taking O Street all the way to 84th St. Head north on 84th, right on Cornhusker Hwy (Hwy 6) and then you'll meet up with I-80 in a couple miles.

That ramp to get on I-80 from Hwy 6 is closed to reduce interstate traffic for at least 2 hours after the game is over. You are forced to take Hwy 6 and both it and the interstate is very, very slow for again at least 2 hours after the game.

I'm probably a bad person to critique traffic since I live in Chicago...and nothing that's moving seems all that bad to me...still wouldn't you take O Street to Hwy 6 up to Gretna rather than fight through downtown to get to 180?

I'm probably a bad person to critique traffic since I live in Chicago...and nothing that's moving seems all that bad to me...still wouldn't you take O Street to Hwy 6 up to Gretna rather than fight through downtown to get to 180?

Yes, but the problem is that Hwy. 6 will be a parking lot for at least 2 hours after the game. If a person waits 2 hours to leave Lincoln after the game is over, it won't matter which way you go it should be clear.

Yes, but the problem is that Hwy. 6 will be a parking lot for at least 2 hours after the game. If a person waits 2 hours to leave Lincoln after the game is over, it won't matter which way you go it should be clear.

People.. this is the key. You never have to deal with traffic if you actually make it a day long event.

Top Bottom