Husker Explosive Plays

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
1634098339240.png
Nebraska, kind of like a lesser Ohio State, produces and relies on a lot of explosive plays. Its WRs are having good years; Martinez has a lot of long runs; passes to RBs have yielded some long plays. Limiting the big plays might be the key. If our defense plays like it has, and keeps explosive plays to a minimum, our chances go way up … Nebraska isn’t a grind it out, trench warfare team.

Agree.

The dangerous part for the Gophers is this. In these sorts of matchups, the team that assumes the grind-it-out role has to control the game situation long enough to permit it to continue grinding and to eventually reap the benefits of grinding. Any mistakes and the plan goes out the window, and the grind-it-out team usually loses.

Last edited:

Without question if we can contain the Huskers, we will be in great shape for Becky. Keep Martinez under 250 total yards, we win.

Martinez can run with the ball, and make something happen that way. We will have to spy him. Is what it is.

Agree.

The dangerous part for the Gophers is this. In these sorts of matchups, the team that assumes the grind-it-out role has to control the game situation long enough to permit it continue grinding and to eventually reap the benefits of grinding. Any mistakes and the plan goes out the window, and the grind-it-out team usually loses.
If our passing game comes back to life, and our defense continues its stellar play, we might not have to win just by grinding it out. It would be great to get up by a few touchdowns based on a robust offense, keep the foot on the accelerator through 3Q, and then go to grind it out in the 4th Q when Nebbie defense is getting tired. A man can dream ...

Plays over 30 yards by game, per my best ability to get this info:

Illinois: 3
Fordham: 4
Buffalo: 4
Oklahoma: 3
Michigan St: 1
Northwestern: 4
Michigan: 3

MplsGopher got it right. Our defensive scheme (s) has/have to have a spy on Martinez on certain formations. Even then his speed is an issue for our LB's.

Because Martinez is a very dangerous runner if he escapes a blitz and starts to run the safeties and CBs start to look back and turn their receivers loose.
He rarely misses an open receiver.
They used the wheel formation to good effect against MI.
Johnson is very fast and most LBs cannot keep up with him as he comes out of the backfield.
A spy is well and good if he is a certain open field tackler. Martinez sheds tackles that are too high.
This will be a good test for the MN defense because if ball control teams get behind they are in trouble.

Martinez can run with the ball, and make something happen that way. We will have to spy him. Is what it is.
I quiver in my boots thinking about Mariano having to spy Martinez -- maybe Willis or Burns would be up for the job

Because Marinez is a very dangerous runner if he escapes a blitz and starts to run the safeties and CBs start to look back and turn their receivers loose.
Johnson is very fast and most LBs cannot keep up with him as he comes out of the backfield.
A spy is well and good if he is a certain open field tackler. Martinez sheds tackles that are too high.
This will be a good test for the MN defense because if ball control teams get behind they are in trouble.
I have watched every Nebraska game this year -- this statement is absolutely false.

Sanford Jr and company better be studying Nebraska's film extensively and come up with a game plan tailored to the way Nebraska plays.

Business as usual is not going to work.

Agree.

The dangerous part for the Gophers is this. In these sorts of matchups, the team that assumes the grind-it-out role has to control the game situation long enough to permit it continue grinding and to eventually reap the benefits of grinding. Any mistakes and the plan goes out the window, and the grind-it-out team usually loses.
We can only hope if we are trailing in the second half the plan will be adjusted. Nothing went out the window against BG. The window was rolled up tight.

I quiver in my boots thinking about Mariano having to spy Martinez -- maybe Willis or Burns would be up for the job

As I recall from listening to the Colorado game on KFAN, the Gophers spied Lewis, the Buffaloes running QB, using Oliver and Nubin. Maybe someone else has a better memory of it.

Because Martinez is a very dangerous runner if he escapes a blitz and starts to run the safeties and CBs start to look back and turn their receivers loose.
Ahem

View attachment 14772
Nebraska, kind of like a lesser Ohio State, produces and relies on a lot of explosive plays. Its WRs are having good years; Martinez has a lot of long runs; passes to RBs have yielded some long plays. Limiting the big plays might be the key. If our defense plays like it has, and keeps explosive plays to a minimum, our chances go way up … Nebraska isn’t a grind it out, trench warfare team.
Still waiting

After the game Frost said in so many words that Martinez was injured but played anyway.
The comments on Husker Blogs confirmed that observations from around campus and were blaming Frost for not having a back up QB.

After the game Frost said in so many words that Martinez was injured but played anyway.
The comments on Husker Blogs confirmed that observations from around campus and were blaming Frost for not having a back up QB.
He didn't look injured during the game. I wonder what it was?

He didn't look injured during the game. I wonder what it was?
On the Nebraska board they were all asking if he's on the field warming up and how does he look. There was something not quite right with him. I was surprised he rarely took off today. That was my biggest fear was him making huge runs.

I was surprised he rarely took off today. That was my biggest fear was him making huge runs.
As we now look to next week, this is my fear playing Maryland.

I was referring to him not missing the open receiver. If you want to say this game doesn't count thats fine -- but you still don't have a body of evidence to support your claim independent of this one.

Last edited:

I was referring to him not missing the open receiver. If you want to say this game doesn't count thats fine -- but you still don't have a body of evidence to support your game independent of this one.
Martinez is not a good thrower. He never has been.

I was referring to him not missing the open receiver. If you want to say this game doesn't count thats fine -- but you still don't have a body of evidence to support your game independent of this one.
Gophers won last year because Martinez couldn't hit an open receiver

Losers make excuses. how’s that for some sloganeering?
His post game pressers are nauseating to a Husker fan. Its always, we missed on some details and execution. Its on me. Every loss sounds the same. I hope Frosty can get to 5-7 as I think Jamey Chadwell or some of the other candidates could be better for them.

Top Bottom