Huntington Bank Stadium concession stand news

It's funny that so many of the comments regarding people paying with cash assume some old people that can't conceive of using a card. Maybe that's true but that's not my experience. In my real-life experience I volunteered at a cashless concession stand for youth baseball several times over the summer. Want to know who we rejected because they didn't have a card? Kids.....every time.
Sounds familiar...

Also from the article:

The bill also specifies that some big event businesses like concert venues and sports arenas can use alternate on-site payment systems, such as tokens or wristbands, if they give customers a way to convert cash into the system.

Mt. Hood Meadows appears to be making that kind of switch; the ski resort announced earlier this month that it would stop accepting cash for the 2023-24 season, but added that it will have "reverse ATMs" where customers can use cash to load value onto visa-branded debit cards.

This is essentially what they have at Target Field, but I'm sure some old codger will still get confused and complain.
The potentially bad thing about the cash to card machines is you could end up with leftover money on the card which sucks for people that go to 1 game a year or a concert, etc.

The potentially bad thing about the cash to card machines is you could end up with leftover money on the card which sucks for people that go to 1 game a year or a concert, etc.
FALSE

People who pay today’s prices for concert tickets don’t have any money left over!

/s

It's funny that so many of the comments regarding people paying with cash assume some old people that can't conceive of using a card. Maybe that's true but that's not my experience. In my real-life experience I volunteered at a cashless concession stand for youth baseball several times over the summer. Want to know who we rejected because they didn't have a card? Kids.....every time.
People can't see the forest for the trees.

The gradual move to a cashless society completely sucks.

People can't see the forest for the trees.

The gradual move to a cashless society completely sucks.
Agreed. Its a problem for kids. Mine are too young to go to concessions stands alone, but there definitely will come an age at which I would be willing to give them a 20 to go get a snack or a soda, but I would not trust them with their own credit card or smart phone.

Agreed. Its a problem for kids. Mine are too young to go to concessions stands alone, but there definitely will come an age at which I would be willing to give them a 20 to go get a snack or a soda, but I would not trust them with their own credit card or smart phone.
Besides kids (which I agree is a problem), it also slows things down in general.

The guy operating the stand alone beer tub is no longer allowed to accept actual hard currency? Makes zero sense.

Card machines are also prone to slow downs, crashes, people being confused and hitting the wrong button, etc. Cash should always be an option.

Get them a prepaid card that you can load money on. There are plenty of ways to do it without them having an interest bearing credit account.

And those that blame the U for this or other concession issues should point most of your anger at the company they hire to do everything.

And as for the internet issue most systems have a way to do transactions even if the internet goes down. Even systems 3 generations ago did that. The venue or the third party provider usually puts a cap in place on how high the transaction can be and be accepted. ($100 at my spot) It should never be an issue...

Get them a prepaid card that you can load money on. There are plenty of ways to do it without them having an interest bearing credit account.

And those that blame the U for this or other concession issues should point most of your anger at the company they hire to do everything.

And as for the internet issue most systems have a way to do transactions even if the internet goes down. Even systems 3 generations ago did that. The venue or the third party provider usually puts a cap in place on how high the transaction can be and be accepted. ($100 at my spot) It should never be an issue...
Every fast food place I know of have a cellular data connection incase cable/ISP goes down. I’m sure the concessions stand will aswell it’s 2023 not like it’s 1980 everyone has a backup on top of a backup. Like you said they will be able to do offline aswell and sync once the internet comes back online. Don’t know why everyone is freaking out.

Every fast food place I know of have a cellular data connection incase cable/ISP goes down. I’m sure the concessions stand will aswell it’s 2023 not like it’s 1980 everyone has a backup on top of a backup. Like you said they will be able to do offline aswell and sync once the internet comes back online. Don’t know why everyone is freaking out.
They should get out the old carbon copy paper credit card roller things!

Besides kids (which I agree is a problem), it also slows things down in general.

The guy operating the stand alone beer tub is no longer allowed to accept actual hard currency? Makes zero sense.
In most cases, you just tap your card on the machine he's holding. It literally takes less time than paying cash.

I guess we've come a long way from the days my mom would send me up to the convivence store with a note to buy her a pack of Winstons.

I guess we've come a long way from the days my mom would send me up to the convivence store with a note to buy her a pack of Winstons.
I'm old enough to have worked at a drug store when that was sort of still a thing.

Live from the stadium.

Short lines… long waits for food.

Walleye place doesn’t have walleye because the stadium hasn’t delivered them.

Goldy’s Grill didn’t get the memo that you can fry more than one chicken tender at a time.

Please U fire the folks managing food service at the stadium.

Top Bottom