Huntington Bank Stadium concession stand news

No matter what, the concession overall experience at the stadium will be poor. Always has been, always will be. I have no idea why it doesn’t seem like rocket science, but I’ve given up hope of any overall improvement.

No matter what, the concession overall experience at the stadium will be poor. Always has been, always will be. I have no idea why it doesn’t seem like rocket science, but I’ve given up hope of any overall improvement.
It's dumb too, because Target Field, CHS and Allianz all have comparatively excellent service.

Twins stadium has a "convert cash to gift card" type machine. Wonder if HBS will have those?

Here's where we've run into the problem - you send your kid to a game with a friend or on a field trip with $20 cash to pay for their concessions. Then they get there and you find out they can't use it. OR you are at the game and want to send your kid up to concessions and would feel more comfortable handing them a $20 bill instead of your credit card (kids lose stuff and would rather have them lose a $20 than a credit card).

We've learned our lesson at Twins and United games and work around it now, but those are the 2 scenarios where it's been a bit of a pain.
They know how to use their phones. Google pay. Apple pay.

It's dumb too, because Target Field, CHS and Allianz all have comparatively excellent service.
Said this many times out here, time your beer and food runs. Same for bathroom runs. Been to CHS a ton. Long lines until like the 4th inning.

They know how to use their phones. Google pay. Apple pay.
Fine for my teenager once they had their own bank account but they already have a debit card anyway. Before that, I wouldn't link apple pay to their phone. Would you put apple pay on a 10 or 11 year-olds phone?

Not sure the Target field or Allianz pay stations accept apple pay either ...

Fine for my teenager once they had their own bank account but they already have a debit card anyway. Before that, I wouldn't link apple pay to their phone. Would you put apple pay on a 10 or 11 year-olds phone?

My kids had bank accounts for almost the day they were born.

Not a fan, but what do you do, they better hope the internet never has issues or there will be no food or beverage sales

Not a fan, but what do you do, they better hope the internet never has issues or there will be no food or beverage sales
Pro sports have been doing it for years with electronic tickets. I think they have it figured out.

when processing a credit card, you need the internet to connect to the card processer, to verify that the card is valid, and that it has enough funds to process a transaction, if the internet is down, there will be no way to process eclectic transactions. if the internet goes down, getting into the stadium will be an issue, they can look at the ticket on my phone and then make a decision to let me in or not. I prefer a ticket in my hand vs the etickets, but that is just me, I understand this is the future of attending sporting events, I just dont think taking away cash 100% is smart business, thats all

I go to a lot of sporting events. Getting my ticket to work and having concession lines function (as in the transactions move smoothly and the line moves even if the overall wait is long because of how long the line is) pretty much without fail everywhere except gopher atheltics. It takes special talent to struggle as much as the U does with such simple and fundamental aspects of hosting high level sporting events.

They can get with the times or not go. Grandpa with the flip phone (or no cell phone at all), isn't going to be able to go to any kind of event very soon as more and more places require the use of an app for ticketing, and they aren't going to be able to spend money at events (assuming they go with someone normal who handles the tickets) because almost all venues are cashless.

Even all our local high school sporting events are 100% cashless, meaning grandpa better figure it out if he wants to see his grandkid play.
Thanks, Dick. I guess you’ll have your day when your government mandated pay chip falls out of your rear. Grandpa can’t shiite if he wants to see his grandkid play.

did someone micturate in your cereal this morning 😅

you can use paper tickets to get into the stadium . . .
They scan those, right? Just having a bit of fun. This seems to be one of those ongoing yearly faux diatribes. I rarely have issues with paying cashless, getting food/beer, and using the bathroom at games.

Are your 10 and 11 year old kids paying for food at a sports venue alone?

Thanks, Dick. I guess you’ll have your day when your government mandated pay chip falls out of your rear. Grandpa can’t shiite if he wants to see his grandkid play.
Better make sure there's a place to tie up your horse and buggy in the tailgate lot.

"Straight cash Homie" no longer in the vocabulary.

The times they are a changin'.

Is that really what the volunteer system was created for / solves?

I have my doubts about that.
It wasn't created for that specific reason, but that is the role it is playing in the current labor market for hiring concession stand workers.

what does that even mean?
If you need bodies to work a concession stand and you know a volunteer organization can bring in some people who already have some skills, then it's better than dragging in and trying to train someone who marginally wants the job because they need to find some money.

That has zero to do with why they use volunteers...not that this sentence made much sense anyways.
They use volunteers because they can pay lower overall wages. One check to a non-profit is cheaper than all the hourly wages to the individual employees, and no wage accounting headaches. It looks good because you make a donation to an organization that needs funds, get seen as contributing to the community and the non-profit brings in people to be behind the cash registers, behind the grills & fryers and stocking the concession stand for a game or series of games.

Using volunteers started as a nice, cute way to supplement concessions workers, giving them a night off here or there, and showing that the team cares about the community, but now it is the way to staff stands when you can't hire enough people to staff at functional levels.

If you all are so adamant to visit establishments that embrace physical currency, I'm sure you can find one that gives you a sense of Deja Vu. There will always be businesses that embrace a cash transaction.

I'm kind of surprised there isn't a federal law prohibiting this practice, as to me it seems that a business should be forced to accept the national currency. But some states are passing laws prohibiting businesses from not accepting cash (or coins), as Oregon recently did:

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/ve...cash/283-d74df4b0-40a1-473f-9c03-cdd3c591c328
Also from the article:

The bill also specifies that some big event businesses like concert venues and sports arenas can use alternate on-site payment systems, such as tokens or wristbands, if they give customers a way to convert cash into the system.

Mt. Hood Meadows appears to be making that kind of switch; the ski resort announced earlier this month that it would stop accepting cash for the 2023-24 season, but added that it will have "reverse ATMs" where customers can use cash to load value onto visa-branded debit cards.

This is essentially what they have at Target Field, but I'm sure some old codger will still get confused and complain.

It's funny that so many of the comments regarding people paying with cash assume some old people that can't conceive of using a card. Maybe that's true but that's not my experience. In my real-life experience I volunteered at a cashless concession stand for youth baseball several times over the summer. Want to know who we rejected because they didn't have a card? Kids.....every time.

Many high school games are cashless, from the ticket booth to concessions and merchandise. I understand the resistance from some people but it's where society is shifting to. You can RTB with the current, or against it.

I was recently at Valley Fair with the family and had all tickets on my phone. Somehow my iPhone seized up (couldn't turn off, hard reboot, anything) and it was a pain in the butt to wait at guest services for them to look up my info and print me out a paper copy of the QR code that had some lunch and drink passes on them. Probably a trade-off for all the slight conveniences I gain from every cashless encounter throughout the years
Count me as a firm against. If you want to be in business you need to accept legal tender... If we are to believe in social contracts and all.

Top Bottom