Hunter Register switching to DB

We're Comin'

Reaction score
The Daily Gopher reporting it....thoughts?

We need the depth in the secondary, but we also need WRs that can make plays.

Isn't he like 6'5" or 6'6"? or something like that?

Nope, Wozniak is the tallest on the field and he's only 6'10".

Players love the defensive staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He wasn't cracking the field as a WR. Might as well give it a shot, who knows.

A black Paul Krause if you will for you old schoolers.

It would seem to indicate 2 things to me:

A- the suspended players are VERY likely not coming back

B- the coaching staff feels at least reasonably secure. if not, why make the switch this early? And, why make the move with Claeys out of town?

Talent sitting on the bench is best utilized elsewhere. You never know. Sometimes players who switch positions thrive. It is all about burning desire to succeed and willingness to put in the hard work.

Blake Cashman is an example of someone who worked hard and earned a starting spot.

He is tall and was receiving praise. If the coaches think it is best I won't doubt it, but I hate to lose ANY WRs on this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6'5" is huge for a DB, would have to think he is going to be playing one of the safety positions. Clearly it wasn't working out at receiver as he couldn't crack a very weak depth chart so if this move gets him on the field in a way that helps the team I am all for it. He is 3" taller than the next tallest DB on our roster (Travis).

Will be interesting to see how it works out with a guy that big in the defensive backfield. I checked the Vikings roster for comparison and their tallest DB is 6'4" and he is one of the backup safeties. All the other guys were 6'2" and under. Maybe someone else can pull up a better list but I bet there are very few 6'5" DBs in college or the NFL.

No, but you might be familiar with his older brother, Cash?

Very nice!

I know the Gophers roster says Hunter is 6'5, but I remember in an interview claeys saying hunter is 6'2

6'5" is huge for a DB, would have to think he is going to be playing one of the safety positions. Clearly it wasn't working out at receiver as he couldn't crack a very weak depth chart so if this move gets him on the field in a way that helps the team I am all for it. He is 3" taller than the next tallest DB on our roster (Travis).

Will be interesting to see how it works out with a guy that big in the defensive backfield. I checked the Vikings roster for comparison and their tallest DB is 6'4" and he is one of the backup safeties. All the other guys were 6'2" and under. Maybe someone else can pull up a better list but I bet there are very few 6'5" DBs in college or the NFL.

I don't know if the comparison holds, but Kam Chancellor of the Seahawks is 6'3" and he plays a kind of hybrid safety. Watching the game the other night, Sawvel was using a ton of different sets and player groups and maybe he sees Register as being someone who could be particularly effective in certain situations. If Register is quick enough, he could be a real asset at safety or what we used to term "monster" position.

It would seem to indicate 2 things to me:

A- the suspended players are VERY likely not coming back

B- the coaching staff feels at least reasonably secure. if not, why make the switch this early? And, why make the move with Claeys out of town?

Or just maybe the kid want a chance to play.

Maybe instead of thinking of as a DB who is 6'5 think as a hybrid safety/LB. Plays close to the line, lots of lateral speed, cover tight ends along the seem.

Maybe instead of thinking of as a DB who is 6'5 think as a hybrid safety/LB. Plays close to the line, lots of lateral speed, cover tight ends along the seem.

Is he still super lean? Maybe he could bulk up De'Vondre Campbell style.

That is what I was thinking...maybe he can add 20 pounds to his frame.

Count me in this school of thought as well. He could be a really good hybrid player given his size and speed. I never thought Campbell's instincts were top drawer, so it's not like Register can't pick up the schemes.

Top Bottom