https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/sam-mckewons-ap-top-25-ballot-dec-5/article_c8721498-55d4-11ec-a62f-9bc6b26586f2.html

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Here's a proper top 25 - from AP voter, columnist Sam McKewon of the Omaha World-Herald.

Not proper enough. We have to subscribe to read the article.

Oh, how Rodney Dangerfield would have felt about these clowns. No respect!

The Gophers have plenty of bulletin-board material. Let their play do the talking. Let's see if KC's contract is all signed, sealed, and delivered. He can come to the Gophers' sidelines.

Last edited:

23 North Carolina State
24 Minnesota
25 Louisiana

“I have Purdue much higher than all other voters, and I expect that to continue. My reasoning? The losses — to Notre Dame, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Ohio State — are without weakness, while wins over Iowa and Michigan State — both 10-win teams — were dominant. A win over Oregon State in nonleague was convincing — I have OSU as the No. 4 in the Pac-12 — and, I simply liked Purdue’s quality of play late. How one ranks Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota — I have them all in my top 25 — is tricky based on how the teams played each other. The Gophers had the two most puzzling losses, Wisconsin had the most dysfunctional offense, Iowa had lopsided defeats, and Purdue lost to both Wisconsin and Minnesota, but had the best overall win and best quarterback.”

23 North Carolina State
24 Minnesota
25 Louisiana

“I have Purdue much higher than all other voters, and I expect that to continue. My reasoning? The losses — to Notre Dame, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Ohio State — are without weakness, while wins over Iowa and Michigan State — both 10-win teams — were dominant. A win over Oregon State in nonleague was convincing — I have OSU as the No. 4 in the Pac-12 — and, I simply liked Purdue’s quality of play late. How one ranks Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota — I have them all in my top 25 — is tricky based on how the teams played each other. The Gophers had the two most puzzling losses, Wisconsin had the most dysfunctional offense, Iowa had lopsided defeats, and Purdue lost to both Wisconsin and Minnesota, but had the best overall win and best quarterback.”
I can't really argue with his reasoning here, as Purdue suffered no 'bad' losses, while their quality wins (vs. 8-0, #3 MSU and 6-0, #2 Iowa) were very, very impressive at the time and still resonate today.

Top Bottom