HS Football Update - sort of

Unless they’re building a brand new, nice high school building up in Blaine, the old site in SLP proper — as you say, it’s the same thing as Fridley and Columbia Heights.

Which are actually just fine schools. Note the use of quotation marks.

Kids who grow up in neighborhoods where literally every house and strip mall/box store has been built new in the last 10 years, think anything old is “ghetto”.
The Lakes development is all in the SLP district, and housing prices seem to run between 500k and 1.2 million. That doesn't exist in Fridley or Columbia Heights. There's a lot of new money in the SLP district.

Unless they’re building a brand new, nice high school building up in Blaine, the old site in SLP proper — as you say, it’s the same thing as Fridley and Columbia Heights.

Which are actually just fine schools. Note the use of quotation marks.

Kids who grow up in neighborhoods where literally every house and strip mall/box store has been built new in the last 10 years, think anything old is “ghetto”.
Spring Lake Park completely updated its High School and built two brand new elementary schools. The district is pretty much built out now so pretty much all new development is in Centennial and Blaine draw area. In the end academic offerings/fiends is what draws transfers the most IMO.

The Lakes development is all in the SLP district, and housing prices seem to run between 500k and 1.2 million. That doesn't exist in Fridley or Columbia Heights. There's a lot of new money in the SLP district.
And like I said, I bet those kids open enroll to Blaine or Centennial.

Seriously, Hwy 65 is a son of a b___ch traffic.

And like I said, I bet those kids open enroll to Blaine or Centennial.

Seriously, Hwy 65 is a son of a b___ch traffic.
Maybe some do, but from what I have heard from people in that area, most of them go to SLP.

Maybe some do, but from what I have heard from people in that area, most of them go to SLP.
I know a number of families in the area. They all go to SLP with the exception of one, who send their daughter to Catholic school and will send her to Totino-Grace. Most say they would never, ever send their kids to Blaine and would not have moved into their current house had it been on that side of the line.

I don't know a lot about Centennial. We know one couple who lives in the district and seem to like it. When I was in school, Centennial was considered a trailer trash school. I think that's changed a LOT.

I know a number of families in the area. They all go to SLP with the exception of one, who send their daughter to Catholic school and will send her to Totino-Grace. Most say they would never, ever send their kids to Blaine and would not have moved into their current house had it been on that side of the line.

I don't know a lot about Centennial. We know one couple who lives in the district and seem to like it. When I was in school, Centennial was considered a trailer trash school. I think that's changed a LOT.
Yep. I played against Centennial when it was basically just Circle Pines and Lexington. Demographics have really changed. It's free lunch rate is pretty low now.

An introduction item that was tabled for more information was on the last MSHSL meeting to seed the Final 4 teams in Football for all classes. So once teams get to USBank for the semifinals, they would be seeded 1-4.

Most sports are asking for more seeded and the masses seem to be more open to it, but they will do their due diligence before approving, to see if truly this is what the masses want.

An introduction item that was tabled for more information was on the last MSHSL meeting to seed the Final 4 teams in Football for all classes. So once teams get to USBank for the semifinals, they would be seeded 1-4.

Most sports are asking for more seeded and the masses seem to be more open to it, but they will do their due diligence before approving, to see if truly this is what the masses want.

as I understand it, this got lumped in with a request to seed the state Basketball tournament 1-8. to avoid making a decision ---- excuse me, to "study the matter further" --- the MSHSL sent the entire question of seeding to a committee that will report back at a later date.

and Maxy - with all due respect - it's not what the masses want. it's what the gate-keepers at the MSHSL are willing to allow. they resist change the way the Twins resist swinging at pitches in the strike zone.

Northfields schedule is out. Interesting MEA Wed Night Game vs Tartan, who have not played in my lifetime if ever. Also renewing a previous Missota rivalry with Chaska.

One thing I am curious about, is previously the Sec 1-5A Seeding was based on Section games only. That meant in a 6 team section, the other 3 games had no impact. Now with only 5 teams, I wonder if they will stick that.
That's my understanding as well.

Not to get to deep into Sec 1-5A football as I am sure it is a rather limited audience on this forum, but they will also have to decide on the location for the Sectional Final.

Previously it was at Mayo as they were the only school with Field Turf, but now they are 6A. Maybe they can still host as Century/JM are part of the same district. No idea how the expenses are paid for such a game.

New Prague is now in and they have a nice stadium with Field Turf, so maybe that is the call, but I suspect it will be Owatonna in their brand new stadium opening this fall.

I will keep everyone posted.
I might guess they end up just doing home team hosts?

If they want a neutral site turf, perhaps they could play at St Olaf? Or RCTC?
The fact that Mayo is now up in 6A means that it will be a neutral field no matter what and will host barring any major complications. If not there, then RCTC.
Section 1 has typically had the high seed host through the entire section, but I could be wrong.
They switched last year, it was pre-determined Mayo would host. They just happened to be the #1 seed anyway and won their semi-final, so it wound up being de facto the same.
Since I promised to "keep everyone posted" Sec 1-5A voted to continue that Section Games only count for seedings. That meant the other 4 crossover contests had no bearing.

Sec 1-5A Championship will be at the High Seed.

You have been informed.

One change that would be critical to better players is allowing spring practice with pads and passing leagues. Maybe this has been done already?

One change that would be critical to better players is allowing spring practice with pads and passing leagues. Maybe this has been done already?
Teams wear shoulder pads and helmets all summer for their weekly allowed practices and training.

Problem is, as has been discussed in the other thread, football is not the priority sport for a lot of these kids, and that starts young. I don't think you'd see that many kids participate because of baseball, or club basketball and spring/summer hockey. This isn't Texas where football reigns supreme.

Then you have to deal with handing out and tracking equipment etc. I think Jack Jones is correct - summer training is sans pads and helmet. My friends' son plays for Maple Grove. I'll ask her.

No they don’t.
They get a week long camp in June and then one day a week I believe with coaching or something similar. It’s not much but more than we had back in the day.

One change that would be beneficial is cutting the 11 days to like 5-8
The 7 on 7 stuff could be done outside of the Hs program

A lot of kids don’t go out for football because they can’t do the 11 days and fall behind. But if you’re a coach you have to do the 11 days if the neighboring program does.

Spring Lake Park completely updated its High School and built two brand new elementary schools. The district is pretty much built out now so pretty much all new development is in Centennial and Blaine draw area. In the end academic offerings/fiends is what draws transfers the most IMO.
When I was a senior at SLP in 1992 the highschool was in trouble. All serious talk was that SLP and Fridley were going to merge together and SLP highschool would be shut down. Crazy how things work out. Both schools were struggling with enrollment. Fridley won the 1990 class A championship and SLP won it in 1991. Interesting note: Columbia Hights was in the state semifinal vs SLP in 91.

One change that would be beneficial is cutting the 11 days to like 5-8
The 7 on 7 stuff could be done outside of the Hs program

A lot of kids don’t go out for football because they can’t do the 11 days and fall behind. But if you’re a coach you have to do the 11 days if the neighboring program does.
It drives me nuts how they do it. Basically a kid cannot work any manual labor jobs because they can't work before noon. If a kid wants to work a 40 hour a week summer job, it's really hard.

Top Bottom