Howard Pulley tonight?

Same here. I really wanted Royce here, but now that he's gone (and I think Maturi deserves some of the blame on that), and especially now that he's recruiting Joe Coleman hard (and don't forget, Royce recruited Rodney hard to the U), I'm actively cheering against him. I had to moderate my tone though, because I think Royce's mom sits right in front of me. It's either his mom or Jake Thomas's mom, I'm not sure, but she's definitely related to one of the two.

If you sat on the side right above El Amin's bench - then that was probably Royce's Mom.

And I agree - last night was the worst night of Pulley I've been to this summer - between the games, the bathrooms being out of order, the street flooding from a fire hydrant when I got out, the only redeeming thing was being able to make fun of DC's tights, which I had the opportunity to do, to his face. He was a good sport.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about Royce recruiting Joe Coleman - those kind of friendships and influence are usually played up a bit.

As for So Mpls's question about going to prep school - Thomas is a nice player (that could end up being great), but I doubt Tubby would encourage that and wait a year for a kid that had one offer...that would probably be an action you'd take for a top, top recruit...when you know you won't get anyone better than them while recruiting for the following year.

Royce did have a frustration moment that shows why I don't think he can stay out of trouble long enough to get on a NCAA court. He got a foul called on him, got upset, threw the ball to the ceiling and took himself out of the game complaining (relatively quietly) all the way off the court. If I heard correctly it was something like "I'm not gonna play with this ****!"
and that game have two of the best refs that are there all year and Ken Mauer from the NBA.
What would he do with an Ed Hightower call?

Thanks for the recap. I almost went but then decided not to. Sounds like I made the right decision.

Quick Recap:

- For Sabes, the only real person of interest for me was Rodney. I've heard a lot of people high on his summer league performance, but unfortunately, I'm just not. He's shown the ability and the desire to take it to the hole with a little more regularity, but he still doesn't move around enough on offense, he still doesn't look great on his outside shot, and he's got an alarming tendency to fade on most of his shots, which makes it hard to be consistent. Rodney's team won because the other team only had one guy, basically, who looked good. The short guy with the name I can't pronounce just lit it up for stretches, but other than that, a pretty boring game. Rodney did have a huge dunk though, which I missed, because I was getting caramel corn.

- The second game started way late, because PMM didn't have enough people initially. This was unfortunate, because I really showed up to see the young Gophers, or even ANY Gophers, and none showed up. Tyrell Sledge looked good at points, but the game was never close because of the 13 point penalty assessed to PMM at the beginning of the game. Royce still looks terrible. He's obviously got a ton of basketball instinct. He makes good passes, and he knows what to do with the ball, but he just looks unathletic and terribly rusty right now. He couldn't hit anything and some dude from NBA Europe via UWGB was just lighting him up. My guess is that it'll take him the whole year and a half to get back. Khalid looked okay, Jake Thomas, once again made me sad that he won't be here. He looked good. Armond Battle had his moments, but I'm not sorry he's not here. Other than that, Dan Coleman looked same as he ever did, incredibly skillful, nice touch, the whole package, but tentative even in summer league.

To be honest, it was by far my most disappointing night at Pulley. Almost nobody that I came to see showed up, and the basketball was frankly dreadful for most of the night. Plus, I missed an incredible Twins performance. Can't win 'em all, I suppose.

Tonight's Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxSE15UTos Diggs, Rundles, Brown and co. had the right gameplan to limit Mbakwe's and Hoffarber's touches and pulled out a tight victory to send them to thursday's championship game.

Errol Carlstrom Wednesday, July 28

Loser’s bracket

The end of the road arrived tonight for the Errol Carlstrom Playaz who started the season at 9-0. They fell this evening to the El-Amin’s Fish House 94-89, with the Fish advancing to the Championship game tomorrow at 7:15 PM. The Fish were led by Khalid El-Amin with 23 points and 8 assists; Dan Coleman with 21 points and Devron Bostick with 17. In a losing effort, Trevor Mbakwe was outstanding and finished with 24 points, 11 rebounds and 4 blocked shots, followed by Isaac Rosefelt with 22 points and Steve Essellink with 19.

Should be a great game tonight. Playaz were 9-0, but the Fish got PJ Hill and Dan Coleman back at or just before the playoffs.

Royce got sub'd out the other night so Bostick could get back in, he moped his way around the court and slooooowly past the bench, ignored his teammates and sat to the on the other side of the steps. He couldn't resist subbing himself back in for Bostick a couple minutes later. His teammates were sick of his lack of hustle and effort and decied to send somone else back in for him... he wasn't happy. At the half he confronted El-Amin saying "We had a deal, I said I would play on your team only if I could play the whole game... we had a deal". Khalid replied with something like; well then, you better start playing out there.

-Good luck Freddy, he's a cancer.

Hahah I loved the story. It's really hard not to root against Royce as he continues crap like that.

Errol Carlstrom Wednesday, July 28

Loser’s bracket

The end of the road arrived tonight for the Errol Carlstrom Playaz who started the season at 9-0. They fell this evening to the El-Amin’s Fish House 94-89, with the Fish advancing to the Championship game tomorrow at 7:15 PM. The Fish were led by Khalid El-Amin with 23 points and 8 assists; Dan Coleman with 21 points and Devron Bostick with 17. In a losing effort, Trevor Mbakwe was outstanding and finished with 24 points, 11 rebounds and 4 blocked shots, followed by Isaac Rosefelt with 22 points and Steve Essellink with 19.

Should be a great game tonight. Playaz were 9-0, but the Fish got PJ Hill and Dan Coleman back at or just before the playoffs.

Royce got sub'd out the other night so Bostick could get back in, he moped his way around the court and slooooowly past the bench, ignored his teammates and sat to the on the other side of the steps. He couldn't resist subbing himself back in for Bostick a couple minutes later. His teammates were sick of his lack of hustle and effort and decied to send somone else back in for him... he wasn't happy. At the half he confronted El-Amin saying "We had a deal, I said I would play on your team only if I could play the whole game... we had a deal". Khalid replied with something like; well then, you better start playing out there.

-Good luck Freddy, he's a cancer.

Top Bottom