Howard Pulley Pro-Am Summer League Playoff Schedule

Chris Monter

Reaction score
7:00 Monday El-Amin Fish House (7-0) vs. High Performance Academy (1-6)

8:30 Monday Pat Madison Magic (4-3) vs. Errol Carlstrom Playaz (3-4)

7:00 Tuesday 123Print.com (6-1) vs. Miller Time (0-7)

8:30 Tuesday Fundamentally Sound Athletics (5-2) vs. Information Investors Group (2-5)

playoffs already? does the hp season get shorter and shorter every year?

The playoffs run the 18 through the 29th.

Monday's resullts
El-Amin Fish House 113, High Performance Academy 87
Pat Madison Magic 110, Errol Carlstrom Playaz 106

7:00 Tuesday 123Print.com (6-1) vs. Miller Time (0-7)

8:30 Tuesday Fundamentally Sound Athletics (5-2) vs. Information Investors Group (2-5)

7:00 Wednesday El-Amin Fish House (8-0) vs. Pat Madison Magic (5-3)

8:30 Wednesday Errol Carlstrom Playaz (3-5) vs. High Performance Academy (1-7)

Hey Monter,
What kind of numbers did any gophers/stand outs put up? Thanks.

Chris may have some additional comments, but the only Gopher that played last night was Trevor. He did not have a huge scorning night, but was very impressive rebounding and blocking shots. He actually looked to be a little slimmer to me when compared to last season. Trevor appears to be in excellent condition. He did hit one jumper from the free throw line and looked solid at the free throw line. He also had a few impressive dunks after rebounds.

Monday's resullts
El-Amin Fish House 113, High Performance Academy 87
Pat Madison Magic 110, Errol Carlstrom Playaz 106

Tuesday results

123Print.com over Miller Time
Information Investors Group over Fundamentally Sound Athletics

7:00 Wednesday El-Amin Fish House (8-0) vs. Pat Madison Magic (5-3)

8:30 Wednesday Errol Carlstrom Playaz (3-5) vs. High Performance Academy (1-7)

7:00 Thursday 123Print.com (7-1) vs. Information Investors Group (3-5)

8:30 Thursday Fundamentally Sound Athletics (5-3) vs.Miller Time (0-8)

How did the current Gophers look last night for Information Investors Group?

How did the current Gophers look last night for Information Investors Group?

Nothing special. Joe looked solid and I continue to believe people are underestimating his potential value to the team in 2011-12. Zack Towle's girlfriend is very cute.

I saw this blurb from Charley Walters this morning:

Incoming Gophers guard Joe Coleman, playing against his brother, former Gopher Dan Coleman, scored 52 points in a Pulley pro-am basketball game in Eagan the other day. By the way, Dan Coleman scored 48 points.

Does anyone know when this was or if it's correct?

Nothing special. Joe looked solid and I continue to believe people are underestimating his potential value to the team in 2011-12. Zack Towle's girlfriend is very cute.

Thanks for the update. There are a lot of people down on Coleman, I don't get it either.

A poster on GI talked about how he won't contribute offensively at all next year based on last night's performance, so it's strange to hear the differing views.

I saw this blurb from Charley Walters this morning:

Does anyone know when this was or if it's correct?

Last Monday or Tuesday, there were different #'s reported, seems Joe scored slightly over 50 and Dan wasn't far behind. So yes.

Thanks for the update. There are a lot of people down on Coleman, I don't get it either.

A poster on GI talked about how he won't contribute offensively at all next year based on last night's performance, so it's strange to hear the differing views.

I think Joe will contribute but I can see where he's going to struggle some on offense. He can attack the basket in a game like this where there's no defense, but he's going to struggle putting the ball on the floor in a half court, big 10 setting imo. And his shooting isn't where it could be yet. He drifts so much on his shot that he's never really set when he does shoot. His offensive contributions, if I had to guess, will be mostly in transition and crashing the boards. I love his aggressiveness going to the hoop though. And he seems to have all the tools to be a very good, if not great, defensive player. I'm overall high on Joe and in time he'll score, but I think this year he's going to be challenged to do that on a regular basis. (As most freshman are so that's not really a big knock.)

I love how our athleticism is shaping up on this team.

Curious about the criticism too......

I was at the game 10 days ago, and the official book said 54 for Joe, 44 for Dan. Joe also had 19 in the first half last night, so he wasn't exactly standing around. I would agree with previous commentary's that it's a much easier format to score from in summer league, but I do think Andre Hollins and Coleman can both score off the dribble and half step in the lane.

If they have a feel for dumping off to the bigs at the right time, it sure should spice up the offense, because these two guys can both finish if no one steps up to meet them.

offical book

You have access to the official book! You must have some major clout. That must be dead-on, balls accurate.

Man, the lack of Pulley updates this year is disappointing. There was definitely a lot more buzz around the team going into last season.

I was at the game 10 days ago, and the official book said 54 for Joe, 44 for Dan. Joe also had 19 in the first half last night, so he wasn't exactly standing around. I would agree with previous commentary's that it's a much easier format to score from in summer league, but I do think Andre Hollins and Coleman can both score off the dribble and half step in the lane.

If they have a feel for dumping off to the bigs at the right time, it sure should spice up the offense, because these two guys can both finish if no one steps up to meet them.

I didn't see Joe's 50-plus game against his brother, but I've seen quite a bit of him at Pulley this summer. He has a scorer's mentality, but he's very streaky. For example, last night, I'm pretty sure he started out 1-8 with 2 blocked attempts and about 3 turnovers. But, all of a sudden, he made 4 in a row and then about 7 of 9, and by the end of the night, he was right around 50% from the field against a solid opponent. Before last night, most of what I've seen has been underwhelming, to say the least--I've been very unimpressed with his play. So, given a 50-point game that's been reported, I think it's going to be feast or famine with him next year. He's got an ability to make tough shots and a willingness to take shots. But, too often he drives into the lane out of control and throws up an errant attempt. He's not going to get bailed out by Pulley refs in the Big Ten. And, he's going to face bigger and quicker defenders. I think he has a long way to go before he's a consistent contributor for the Gophers.

On the other hand, Andre Hollins has really impressed me this summer. He's got a good handle and he's pretty quick with the ball. Also, he's got a good jumper--he hits his open threes and can hit challenged threes as well. He also seems to have good court vision. Whereas Coleman tries to take the offensive possession on his back and play 1-on-5, Hollins looks for his teammates every time and moves the ball. His defense has been pretty good, too--I haven't seen him getting beat off the dribble very much.

Also of note: I'm pretty sure Rodney Williams was 5-6 from three last night. That, and he threw down monster dunk after monster dunk. I got a couple good videos that I could probably post here (including a put-back and a 360 fast break dunk). I'm excited to see him on the court for the Gophers this year.

Please post the video!

I was there last night too...and my final thought after watching Rodney's show was...."man I hope someone has a camera."

I didn't see Joe's 50-plus game against his brother, but I've seen quite a bit of him at Pulley this summer. He has a scorer's mentality, but he's very streaky. For example, last night, I'm pretty sure he started out 1-8 with 2 blocked attempts and about 3 turnovers. But, all of a sudden, he made 4 in a row and then about 7 of 9, and by the end of the night, he was right around 50% from the field against a solid opponent. Before last night, most of what I've seen has been underwhelming, to say the least--I've been very unimpressed with his play. So, given a 50-point game that's been reported, I think it's going to be feast or famine with him next year. He's got an ability to make tough shots and a willingness to take shots. But, too often he drives into the lane out of control and throws up an errant attempt. He's not going to get bailed out by Pulley refs in the Big Ten. And, he's going to face bigger and quicker defenders. I think he has a long way to go before he's a consistent contributor for the Gophers.

On the other hand, Andre Hollins has really impressed me this summer. He's got a good handle and he's pretty quick with the ball. Also, he's got a good jumper--he hits his open threes and can hit challenged threes as well. He also seems to have good court vision. Whereas Coleman tries to take the offensive possession on his back and play 1-on-5, Hollins looks for his teammates every time and moves the ball. His defense has been pretty good, too--I haven't seen him getting beat off the dribble very much.

Also of note: I'm pretty sure Rodney Williams was 5-6 from three last night. That, and he threw down monster dunk after monster dunk. I got a couple good videos that I could probably post here (including a put-back and a 360 fast break dunk). I'm excited to see him on the court for the Gophers this year.

Joe started off 3 of 16 from the field and 3 of 10 from the free throw line. After that he went on a tear upping it to 11 of 23 and finished 5 of 12 ft (unofficial numbers, but they should be fairly close). Hit a few threes and jumpers then took it to the rack, probably scored 5 possession in a row for his team. The down side is I counted 8 turnovers and 1 assist. He could have easily had 3 easy assist on some two and ones fast breaks with Andre, but he chose to try to attempt the a circus shot instead of giving the easy bucket to his roommate. Very selfish player, he won't have that option as a Gopher, it's Tubby's way or the bench.

Andre had a very impressive night, hit a few big nba threes, drove and scored easily, can really handle the ball in traffic and had umpteen assist, penetrating and dishing at the perfect moment. Has PG skills and can shoot or finish at the rim, just what we need IMO. Had a little trouble stopping Paris Kyles (MCTC, Mankato, EuroPro) from getting to the bucket, but they had no shot blockers like he will when Mbakwe/Ralph/EE are there to back him up.

Good things to say about Oto, kid has a beautiful stroke and handles for his size.

Rodney his his first two threes and then hesisited to shoot the third, drove and missed both free throws. Overall a pretty good night, yes those were freak dunks.

I take it you were the guy in the Duke Golf shirt.

*I should also add Andre played good d, Paris didn't blow by him at all, but scored on him a few times with Andre right on his hip. Picked up his man at half court once and really turned on the intensity, kid can move his feet, will be able to press.

I haven't seen any of the Pulley games, but Joe's game approach sounds completely different from what it was in High School with Hopkins. He played completely within the system, I always remember wishing he was more aggressive. I'm excited to see how he fits in with Tubby's system, I know Kenny Novak praised his "coachability" and work ethic. Like VQueen said Tubby has a short leash on players playing outside of his system.

Very excited to see what Andre can do against Big10 competition. Thanks for the updates.

Rodney Williams -- putback dunk:

Rodney Williams -- breakaway 360:

Thanks for the videos and all the analysis. I'm glad to have not really heard anything bad about Andre or Oto.

Chip played in the second game, often matched up with Rodney. He arrived early before the first game started, I could be very wrong but he looked 'DevoeJoe' blazed.

Played okay, I'll be surprised he Joe doesn't take most his scrap minutes.

+1 to JD & 98's assessments.

Anybody out there know who plays who on Monday/Tuesday?

Top Bottom