How would you try and beat USC?

61BF0Gioh2L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg
Or this.

Electronic Football.jpg

Hope that #2 and #5 are playing corner.

They do not have a strong DLine, so I want us to get the run established, use tempo like we did vs. Michigan, but use that tempo to run and deplete their DLine.
The immovable offensive push / blocking vs the movable run defense!

5 2 5 defense is 12 men.
That should be more effective!
Back in the 1970's or early '80's a high school team in SE Minn (Chatfield?) used 12 men on defense for an entire game. Neither the refs or coaches noticed it until the offending team's coach watched the films early the next week. The joke was that the team still lost with 12 on D!

Play fast and give our OL a chance to success.

Last edited:

I'm wondering what your guy's ideas are to beat USC. I would try and beat them on D with a 5 2 5 defense. Bring Safety blitzes from the edge. Use Perich and #14. On offense want to see the old swinging gate formation. I want a tackle eligible pass to 77 Carrol on a TE hitch route. Some video game stuff, more Wildcat, The Max Williams play like executed against Michigan in 2014. I'm going full on video game with Bo Jackson dives up the middle. I'm sure you guys have better ideas. Let's go crazy. Hope the coaches are cooking up something good. For the stripe out game I like Maroon tops, gold pants, white helmets. Doesn't get much more like a striped Gopher than that. It's gonna suck hearing USC pep band blaring, they bring them everywhere.
That 5 2 5 defense will draw you penalties. 😗

The last several years of being a Gopher football fan have provided us with direct evidence that it is possible for touchdown+ underdogs to win football games.

When the Gophers are on offense:

The extended weather forecast is talking about 20mph+ winds. Obviously, that would impact passing offense and the kicking game.

Also consider the fact that USC is currently ranked third from the bottom in the B1G in run defense, but sixth best in the B1G in pass defense.

Therefore, when the Gophers have the ball I think this is clearly a game in which the big boys on the offensive line need to step up and open some holes for our running backs.

When the Gophers are on defense:

Glen Mason mentioned that USC's left offensive tackle struggled against Michigan, and the Wolverines were able to put a lot of pressure on Moss. And, again, if the wind is howling it might help our pass defense.

USC is 13th in the B1G in rushing yards per game. They are Number One in the B1G in passing yards per game.

So, if it is as windy as predicted, it could work in our favor.

Turnovers kept Michigan and Wisconsin close. Michigan was able to run for almost 300 yards and close it out at the very end while Wisconsin collapsed in the second half, held the ball for only 19 minutes and couldn’t sustain drives.

So…play good, opportunistic defense (guess right, hey simple…), hope Moss has a bad day, and this will be music to ‘OL Murr’s ears but gotta be able to run the ball and if somehow MN carries a lead in the second half drain the clock since USCs skill players can score from anywhere on the field in literally seconds. That doesn’t mean drain the clock playing behind by 2+ scores.

Expect the worst, hope for the best, enjoy the spectacle of CFB.

Top Bottom