How would you rate Gophers offseason in the portal?

Looks like upgrades at wr and definitely rb. Potentially upgraded at DB. Downgrade at DL and potentially LB. Solid B for me, another LB would’ve been nice.

LOVE what they did at DB and WR (even though the losses at each are not inconsequencial) ! Very hopeful that they found a gem at RB. On the defensive front 7, looks like we lost more than we gained. Overall I am happy with our Portal results. Added several players who are likely to contribute. 'B'

Offense B due to Spencer's show in the Spring game added in with at bit of Crooms. Tyler is no Mo but will give us a different look but no OL add on which I thought we needed.

Incomplete for the D as we need to see if the newbies are better than the departed.

Not really sure how anyone can evaluate transfer classes until you see how guys pan out but on paper it looks like we did well in the portal again.

Loses along the DL are concerning but there are a numbrer of talented young players waiting their turn and the fact that we didn't try to bring in reinforcements says to me that the staff feels good about what we have.

Bigger transfer class than some of the others we have brought in. Will be interesting to see how many of the new guys are in the mix right away next season.

The O-Line could have used an experienced OL from the portal. There are seventeen on the current roster.

50JJ GuedetOL6' 7''3105 / 52 yearsWashington, Ill. / Washington Community
52Spencer AlvarezOL6' 6''2602 / 24 yearsColumbia Heights, Minn. / Columbia Heights
55Karter ShawOL6' 4''3106 / 31 yearSouth Jordan, Utah / Herriman / Utah State
58Jackson HunterOL6' 6''2753 / 33 yearsOconomowoc, Wis. / Oconomowoc
59Tony NelsonOL6' 6''2802 / 24 yearsTracy, Minn. / Tracy-Milroy-Balaton
65Greg JohnsonOL6' 6''3001 / 14 yearsPrior Lake, Minn. / Prior Lake
66Nathan BoeOL6' 5''3006 / 61 yearLakeville, Minn. / Lakeville North
68Jackson RuschmeyerOL6' 4''2954 / 43 yearsHutchinson, Minn. / Holy Family Catholic
69Aireontae ErseryOL6' 6''3254 / 43 yearsKansas City, Mo. / Ruskin
70Cade McConnellOL6' 5''3002 / 24 yearsChoctaw, Okla. / Choctaw
71Martes LewisOL6' 7''3304 / 43 yearsMerrillville, Ind. / Merrillville
73Tyrell LawrenceOL6' 7''3554 / 43 yearsMilton, Ontario, Canada / Clearwater Academy International
75Tyler CooperOL6' 5''3105 / 52 yearsSaint Croix Falls, Wis. / Saint Croix Falls
76Reese TrippOL6' 7''3301 / 14 yearsMantorville, Minn. / Kasson-Mantorville
77Quinn CarrollOL6' 6''3105 / 22 yearsEdina, Minn. / Edina / Notre Dame
78Ashton BeersOL6' 5''3002 / 24 yearsSlinger, Wis. / Slinger
79Logan PurcellOL6' 7''2603 / 33 yearsAnnandale, Minn. / Annandale

Interesting that they lost 8 players to transferred to other P5 programs and brought in 2 players from other P5 programs.

The O-Line could have used an experienced OL from the portal. There are seventeen on the current roster.

52Spencer AlvarezOL6' 6''2602 / 24 yearsColumbia Heights, Minn. / Columbia Heights
68Jackson RuschmeyerOL6' 4''2954 / 43 yearsHutchinson, Minn. / Holy Family Catholic
73Tyrell LawrenceOL6' 7''3554 / 43 yearsMilton, Ontario, Canada / Clearwater Academy International
75Tyler CooperOL6' 5''3105 / 52 yearsSaint Croix Falls, Wis. / Saint Croix Falls
Cooper and Guedet are class of 2019 guys who haven't seen the field much.

Hope they can figure it out for 2023 and get out there.

To me, the fact that they were seemingly not actively pursuing offensive lineman in the portal means they probably feel good about the guys in house. Quite a few guys on that list that have been in the program multiple years.

Knee jerk reaction, offense solid net positive, defense significant net negative.
To me the defensive line is the key. If the returning players on the D-Line can perform to a level where the loss of Carter isn't obvious then I think there is a strong potential for a net gain on defense.

There are a number of young DL that we haven't really seen in action who were pretty highly regarded coming out of high school. And the staff didn't seem to be going after interior D-Line transfers.

It's tough when facts hurt your feelings.
WTF are you even talking about? Do you seriously have nothing better to do with your time than to troll other teams message boards?

WTF are you even talking about? Do you seriously have nothing better to do with your time than to troll other teams message boards?

I mentioned a fact from the tweet about the amount of transfers going to and coming from P5 programs and you called me a troll. If stating facts makes me a troll then so be it.

I mentioned a fact from the tweet about the amount of transfers going to and coming from P5 programs and you called me a troll. If stating facts makes me a troll then so be it.
It gives the impression that you are trying to imply that the guys we lost are better than the guys we are bringing in simply because they aren't coming from the P5 ranks which isn't necessarily true.

In fact the two guys we are bringing in from the P5, Mcdonald and Collins, will likely get less playing time than 6-7 of the transfers that came from G5 and FCS schools.

Losing Carter is a big loss that was not replaced by the portal but everyone else on D i'd say is a wash.

To me, the fact that they were seemingly not actively pursuing offensive lineman in the portal means they probably feel good about the guys in house. Quite a few guys on that list that have been in the program multiple years.
Recruiting OLs is difficult. There are not many of them. Coach Callahan and Fleck did a great job recruiting Greg Johnson, Reese Tripp, Jerome Williams, and Phillip Daniels.

Interesting that they lost 8 players to transferred to other P5 programs and brought in 2 players from other P5 programs.
Interesting, not sure it means anything good or bad. Last year I think we lost 6 and gained 4. 3 of the 4 gained played a lot, two started. Lost Bucky, MJ Anderson, and Dunlap (I assume he played a lot). Boyd, Emilien, and Ky Thomas didn’t do a whole lot last year.

We had four transfer in from non P5. Beanie and Baugh played a lot, Stapp played a bit, the other was a kicker. So pretty similar hit rate, at least last year.

Knee jerk reaction, offense solid net positive, defense significant net negative.
What’s your reasoning for the defense being a significant net negative? Two veteran cbs to replace Beanie could be a gain. Two experienced safeties to replace Dixon could be a gain. Carter is a loss but depth appears to be there. Selig and the UNC kid seem like real wild cards, if they carve out major roles I think the defense should be a net gain assuming the defensive results are still strong.

Looks like upgrades at wr and definitely rb. Potentially upgraded at DB. Downgrade at DL and potentially LB. Solid B for me, another LB would’ve been nice.
With losing Mo, it's hard for me to think the overall RB position has been upgraded. Hope I am wrong! I do think Evans will breakout.

With losing Mo, it's hard for me to think the overall RB position has been upgraded. Hope I am wrong! I do think Evans will breakout.
I was grading just based on portal activity, kind of removed graduates from the equation and just looked at losses to the portal vs adds.

Did we have anyone transfer out after the spring game? When was the last time that happened?

What’s your reasoning for the defense being a significant net negative? Two veteran cbs to replace Beanie could be a gain. Two experienced safeties to replace Dixon could be a gain. Carter is a loss but depth appears to be there. Selig and the UNC kid seem like real wild cards, if they carve out major roles I think the defense should be a net gain assuming the defensive results are still strong.
Carter is a big loss, and we lost some solid experienced contributors on the back end. The guys they brought in to backfill I don't feel are up to the same level and are new to the system. I trust that Rossi will coach them up and other guys will emerge, but we're a developmental program and I think programs like ours are hurt more when we lose experienced guys. I 100% hope I'm proven wrong. I'm very optimistic about the offense though so I think at worst it will balance out.

To me the defensive line is the key. If the returning players on the D-Line can perform to a level where the loss of Carter isn't obvious then I think there is a strong potential for a net gain on defense.

There are a number of young DL that we haven't really seen in action who were pretty highly regarded coming out of high school. And the staff didn't seem to be going after interior D-Line transfers.

yes, i'm really banking on that some of the 2021 and 2022 guys will emerge, and i trust Rossi, but I'm still concerned

1684262576080.jpeg

:unsure:

Hmm. A spreadsheet with the use of school colors for font and cell background fill.

Is Tony…? Nah, couldn’t be.

yes, i'm really banking on that some of the 2021 and 2022 guys will emerge, and i trust Rossi, but I'm still concerned
We have a number of guys along the D-Line that are entering their 3rd and 4th years with the program (redshirt Sophomore, Redshirt Junior) - Which tends to be the time when you start to see guys emerge along the lines if they are going to. Plus Anthony Smith has gotten a lot of buzz as a second year guy as well.

Going to be interesting to see what the D-Line looks like and how it performs. lot of interesting prospects who could really step up this year.

If I believe everything I read in the StarTribune comment sections...an F-. Because Minnesota is the only school that has players that transfer out.

Top Bottom