How would you feel about the possibility of an 8 team playoff

I think 4 is enough personally. There are a few reasons for this.
1. I think the regular season means less then. You could lose 1-2 heck maybe even 3 games and still make it. I don't want that.
2. If people think they are going to 8 to make sure the UCF's/Boise St's get in, i think you are kidding yourself. 8 essentially means "Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, just dont go 8-4 and you are fine!" We were 9-0 last year and Bama was 8-1, outside of MN there was 0 even thought that we were as good as bama and we would have never gotten the nod over them. They want names in these games, sure small schools are a novelty, but the general public is watching Bama/Clemson in far greater numbers than Ohio St/UCF.
3. I love our program and PJF has been awesome, but lets be honest, any small shot we have at a National Championship is shrunk even more by 8 teams. Think of last year for example. To get in we need to beat Wisc/Ohio St/Oregon/Clemson/Bama in 5 straight weeks. Sure Oregon might be the worst team in that group but they are a good team and would just add another layer to how we get there.

The quarter final logistics could get funky.

OCS is the “easiest”. But then you have have teams going to the conf champ games at neutral sites, only to return home the next week for the national playoff first round? Seems backwards.

But any kind of neutral site will take a lot of time/effort to plan. So you either have to bid out/award four of them, or maybe attach them to bowl games? I like the idea of each P5 having its own quarter host site ready to go, but how do you hold that date/do all the planning only for one of them to end up with no game?

SEC is the best conference so if they got 3 out of 8 every once in a while get over it. The WCHA had all four Frozen Four teams one year, because they earned it.

3/8 < 2/4 (2018)

Obviously all Gopher fans should support this since it dramatically improves the Gophers' odds of ever making it.

What if the quarters were always held at the following sites:
Vegas
Dallas
Detroit
Atlanta

Vegas can reasonably double for PAC and Big XII. Dallas for Big XII and SEC, and Atlanta for SEC and ACC. Detroit is close enough to most of the elite B1G schools to satisfy them, is a Delta hub, and Indy already has the B1G championship.

Vegas
Dallas
Detroit
Atlanta

Vegas can reasonably double for PAC and Big XII. Dallas for Big XII and SEC, and Atlanta for SEC and ACC. Detroit is close enough to most of the elite B1G schools to satisfy them, is a Delta hub, and Indy already has the B1G championship.
Swap Detroit for us bank stadium.

No one wants to go to Detroit
Has to be indoors, has to be in a Big Ten state, has to not be veto’ed by Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan. Notre Dame probably has a say as well.

That’s Detroit or Indy.

Auto bids for each p5 conference winner, best group of 5 team, 2 at larges

Vegas
Dallas
Detroit
Atlanta

I think we're getting closer. I still prefer the idea of every P5 conference "hosting" a pod. Maybe to take away the problem of 1 of those pods not happening every year we a rotation instead? Then seed 1-4 after the quarterfinals? Something like this:
Year 1:
At-large #1 @ Big Ten
At-large #2 @ SEC
G5 @ Big XII
Pac12 @ ACC

Year 2:
At-Large #2 @ Big Ten
G5 @ SEC
Big 12 @ Pac12
At-Large #1 @ ACC

Year 3
G5 @ Big Ten
SEC @ Big 12
At Large #1 @ Pac 12
At Large #2 @ ACC

Year 4
Big Ten @ SEC
At Large #1 @ Big 12
At Large #2 @ Pac12
G5 @ ACC

Year 5
At Large #1 @ SEC
At Large #2 @ Big 12
G5 @ Pac12
ACC @ Big Ten

I think we're getting closer. I still prefer the idea of every P5 conference "hosting" a pod. Maybe to take away the problem of 1 of those pods not happening every year we a rotation instead? Then seed 1-4 after the quarterfinals? Something like this:
Year 1:
At-large #1 @ Big Ten
At-large #2 @ SEC
G5 @ Big XII
Pac12 @ ACC

Year 2:
At-Large #2 @ Big Ten
G5 @ SEC
Big 12 @ Pac12
At-Large #1 @ ACC

Year 3
G5 @ Big Ten
SEC @ Big 12
At Large #1 @ Pac 12
At Large #2 @ ACC

Year 4
Big Ten @ SEC
At Large #1 @ Big 12
At Large #2 @ Pac12
G5 @ ACC

Year 5
At Large #1 @ SEC
At Large #2 @ Big 12
G5 @ Pac12
ACC @ Big Ten
The thing would be, like in year 1, say USC is seed #1 and yet has to travel to the ACC host seeded #8? (say VT big upset win over Clemson in champ game but was 8-4 going in).

Edge case probably. And there is no perfect way. Like your idea though!

I haven't read the whole thing, but I would do as follows:

P5 Champs autobids...
next 3 highest rated remaining get at large bids UNLESS--there is an undefeated G5 (then 2 highest rated remaining not in get at large bids

No matter how you slice it, someone is always going to feel jilted.

No matter how you slice it, someone is always going to feel jilted.
I worry a lot less about #9 being jilted than #5... or some of the other scenarios.

Somewhere out there there's a guy who has a legitimate regret that he had a shot at Jennifer Lawrence... but missed.

I on the other hand ... probably less of an argument to be made for me.

Top Bottom