How would you feel about the possibility of an 8 team playoff

GopherGuy8

Reaction score
How would everyone feel about the possibility of an 8 team playoff?

Short version: depends on how they did the 8 teams. if it was autobids from major conferences and then next highest rated teams or group of 5, then sure. if it's just 8 highest rated then no because it will turn into an SEC circle jerk.

Short version: depends on how they did the 8 teams. if it was autobids from major conferences and then next highest rated teams or group of 5, then sure. if it's just 8 highest rated then no because it will turn into an SEC circle jerk.
I kind of get that but the committee already favors the SEC. I think the 4 extra teams could help give some power 5 teams and especially non power five teams a shot who would never have the possibility with only a 4 team setup.
A mid major team would never have a chance to get in with only 4 teams even if they blew out all of there opponents. With an 8 team field the committee could sneak in a team like UCF a few years ago with a 7 or 8 seed. As well as maybe an extra team from the Big Ten if a team has a great year and wins every game except against Ohio State.

I hate that the G5 is effectively excluded.... but I hate the idea of giving them an auto bid too... that G5 auto bid would almost every year be a practice week for the #1 seed...

G5 should make their own championship with blackjack and hookers.

I hate that the G5 is effectively excluded.... but I hate the idea of giving them an auto bid too... that G5 auto bid would almost every year be a practice week for the #1 seed...

G5 should make their own championship with blackjack and hookers.
Did I miss a reference?

Lolz on the Futurama

I think 8 should have been the number from the start. It seems like the magic number for the number of teams for this thing to be competitive. It gives Ol' Frosty's UCF from a few years back their shot. I just think it makes it more exciting without watering it down

Yes please! If the playoff continues with only four teams it will be very difficult for anyone outside of the most recent blue bloods to advance to the playoff. Opening the format to 8 teams exponentially allows some new teams to be a part of a national championship possibility. Eight teams certainly gives our new Gopher team a glimmer of hope going forward.

Yes on 8 teams:
1. 5 P5 Conference Champs.
2. 3 at large.
3. No more than 2 teams from same conference.

The G5 should have their own playoff. The money disparity has really separated the two and the difference will only become more noticeable.

Yes on 8 teams:
2. 3 at large.

The G5 should have their own playoff. The money disparity has really separated the two and the difference will only become more noticeable.
I like this plan, but feel there should be a spot for an undefeated group of whatever team that is undefeated to fill the glass slipper. Just so they can get crushed and remember why they don't belong.

Yes on 8 teams:
2. 3 at large.

I agree strongly with the limit per conference. There will be griping by those who are left out because of that, but there's griping now. Whether the limit is 2 or 3, there should be a limit.

12 teams
10 auto bids to all conference champions
2 wild cards, must not be from same conference
Top 4 get rd 1 byes, other top teams get "reward" of a G5 title-winner rd 1

This brings some of the magic of March Madness and restores the importance of winning a conference, while in reality top teams will usually win it all.

8 teams. 5 conference winners. Top G5 school, 2 wild cards. No more than 2 from same conference. First round at home of top 4 seeds. From there, just like now. 4 losing teams in first round eligible for a bowl game.
This is the best concept I've seen thus far. Very interesting.

This has to be a no brainer to the fans. More top level play-off football with a few more teams in the mix. This makes things very interesting when you get down to rivalry week and conference championship week.

The Gophers beat Iowa last year and they are in the top 8.

It would be an improvement, and a step closer to the playoff system already in place in the lower divisions.

If CTE is real the regular season is enough college football.

Sounds like we're all in agreement. I will text Mark Emmert this afternoon and get this thing started

I'd be for it if all P5 conferences played 9 conference games. Could it be tied to eliminating like four bowl games?

8 teams. 5 conference winners. Top G5 school, 2 wild cards. No more than 2 from same conference. First round at home of top 4 seeds. From there, just like now. 4 losing teams in first round eligible for a bowl game.

I would be onboard with this. But unlike college basketball, most years in football there is a pretty big drop off from the top few teams to the 7th and 8th team.

Last season Baylor and Memphis would have been in. Neither of them were close to being on the level of LSU, Clemson, or Ohio St.

2018 it would have been UCF and Michigan.
2017 it would have been UCF and Miami.
2016 it would have been Western Michigan and USC

We saw what LSU did to Oklahoma, what would they have done to Memphis? I think 6 teams is the most realistic, with the 1 and 2 seed getting a bye.

I think the 7 and 8 seeds would get blown out most of the time.

I would be onboard with this. But unlike college basketball, most years in football there is a pretty big drop off from the top few teams to the 7th and 8th team.

Last season Baylor and Memphis would have been in. Neither of them were close to being on the level of LSU, Clemson, or Ohio St.

2018 it would have been UCF and Michigan.
2017 it would have been UCF and Miami.
2016 it would have been Western Michigan and USC

We saw what LSU did to Oklahoma, what would they have done to Memphis? I think 6 teams is the most realistic, with the 1 and 2 seed getting a bye.

I think the 7 and 8 seeds would get blown out most of the time.
It is possible that the 7 and 8 seeds could get blown out but it gives smaller schools a chance which I think is important, and who wouldn't like seeing some new teams in the playoffs?

8 teams.
6 automatic bids (5 P5 champs, 1 nonP5 champ)
2 at-large bids (can't be from same conference)

Seed 1-8 but P5 champs just be 1-5.

1st round is played at P5 "pods" but not on-campus stadiums.
Big Ten: Mpls, Indy or Detroit
SEC: New Orleans or Atlanta
Big12: Dallas or Houston
ACC: Charlotte or Tampa
Pac12: Vegas or Los Angeles

Semi-Finals and NC are played as they are now.

Yes on 8 teams:
2. 3 at large.

8 team playoff:
Top 6 ranked teams.
7-10 teams have 2 playin games for last 2 spots. One team in the 10 is a top G5, unless more than 1 is in top 10 ranking.

if you are not going to include G5 at least 1, kick them out so the bison have some competition.

So, I’ll throw out an alternative concept.

4 team playoff, but playoffs occur AFTER the bowls. The first round is played at the home stadium of the higher-seeded team. Finals are neutral site as it currently stands.

This has a few benefits:

1. Allows for full-power matchups in the NY6. If this model had been in place last year, the bowl matchups would have looked something like:

Rose: #2 OSU vs. #6 Oregon

Sugar: #1 LSU vs. #4 OU

Orange: #3 Clemson vs. #5 Georgia

Fiesta: #7 Baylor vs. #8 Wisconsin

Peach: #9 Florida vs. #10 Penn State

Cotton: #11 Utah vs. #17 Memphis

2. Preserves the tradition of bowls and bowl season while still allowing for a competitive playoff.

3. Gives the higher-seeded team something to look forward to in terms of being able to play at home.

Yes, it would mean one more game to the schedule, and I’m sure the debates about post-NY6 seeding would be fierce. However, as much as we all love a good Cinderella story, I really dont think there are more than 4 serious contenders for the national title any given year. This model allows for the surprise stories to still get in.

12 teams
10 auto bids to all conference champions
2 wild cards, must not be from same conference
Top 4 get rd 1 byes, other top teams get "reward" of a G5 title-winner rd 1

This brings some of the magic of March Madness and restores the importance of winning a conference, while in reality top teams will usually win it all.
This gets my vote. Literally gives every chance in the country a belief they could be a National Championship. Regular season still matters, every game counts still (unlike the current model).

Everyone is so concerned about these poor student athletes missing time for school. Majority of this would be done over the semester break. Round 1 would be the traditional Army/Navy Weekend, Round 2 would be around Christmas, Round 3 (Final Four) would be New Years weekend, National Championship would be the same date it traditionally is.

I'm in favor of an 8 team playoff if the Power 5 conference winners get auto bids, the top rated G5 team (if they're in the top 10) gets an auto bid with the remaining 2 (or 3 if the G5 doesn't get in) bids going to the remaining highest ranked teams.

I'm not in favor of an 8 team playoff if it's just taking 1-8 in the CFP poll.

8 teams.
6 automatic bids (5 P5 champs, 1 nonP5 champ)
2 at-large bids (can't be from same conference)

Seed 1-8 but P5 champs just be 1-5.

1st round is played at P5 "pods" but not on-campus stadiums.
Big Ten: Mpls, Indy or Detroit
SEC: New Orleans or Atlanta
Big12: Dallas or Houston
ACC: Charlotte or Tampa
Pac12: Vegas or Los Angeles

Semi-Finals and NC are played as they are now.
Something like this, is what I agree with. I think OCS is more likely, though you certainly have a great idea. But the logistics and such, it would just make it much easier to get done.

First round the weekend after conf champ games. Then the (rotating) NY6 bowl games are the semi's, as now.

But I actually think a 6 team playoff is more likely than jumping straight to a 8 team playoff. These people move glacially, in baby steps.

Top Bottom